What's new

Ink Bottle for refilling pens

I picked up a Pilot Metropolitan and some Parker Quink then some Noodler's Black ink and then I started reading about ink bottles that are designed to make filling the pen easier when you run low on in. I've only filled the converter once or twice, so no fear of running out of ink too soon, but I started looking anyway and the TWSBI Diamond 50 bottles look pretty nice, but instead I decided to pick up an old Sheaffer's Skrip bottle that has the well on the side inside the bottle that you fill by tipping the bottle so that you can still fill the pen when you start running low on ink.

I just finished cleaning up the bottle, there was a lot of the washable blue ink trapped in the paper material that was in the cap that needed washing out and have yet to try it but I figure that it should work out just fine and I like the looks of this too. The bottle has Patent # 1759866 on the bottom dating from 1927.

Anyone else have their favorite bottles that they fill with their regular ink to fill their pens from?

$IMG_3810 (Custom).JPG$IMG_3811 (Custom).JPG

Nice score!

That bottle looks pretty neat

Although it looks like you'd have to use either a Snorkel-filler or a syringe to get the last drops out of that bottle, I don't believe anyone here would complain having to acquire another pen ;-)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nice bottle! I look forward to seeing other vintage ink bottles that our members might post.

Doug,

Thanks for posting that thread, I did some searching last night before posting but didn't run across it. I'd seen most of those bottles online before, but it the vintage Skrip bottles seem to be the easiest to come by.

There's a few, but yeah, now that the patents on the old bottles have expired I'm surprised that there's not more creative bottles out there. Even the plastic funnel inserts seem to be a good idea, I wish they were in more widespread usage.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sailor ink bottles come with a plastic insert, so you have a nib-shaped resevoir that turning th ebottle upside down will fill. Do I need to tell you to make sure the cap is on the bottle? Heh heh.

I remember these fondly from my junior-high and high-school years. To avoid spills, my dad made a wooden rack to hold the bottles in. The bottles would drop in to about the depth of the taper. My favorite color(s) were green and blue-black.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sailor ink bottles come with a plastic insert, so you have a nib-shaped resevoir that turning th ebottle upside down will fill. Do I need to tell you to make sure the cap is on the bottle? Heh heh.

proxy.php

old Sheaffer's Skrip bottle is one of the better bottles for refilling. I'm looking for one myself.
I have a parker ink bottle with the plastic insert its not bad but when you get low on ink is less effective.

no, if you upset your bottle quickly it might spit ink at you. Bottles are like that.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have two Akkermann's bottles, but have not gotten around to paying with them yet as I still have some Quick and 2xHeros to get through first.

+1 for the old skrip bottles, that built in well is ingenious. I've got two, one I bought with vintage 70's blue/black which was still good. Love the old ink and I'm sad to see my bottle almost empty. Use it almost exclusively for my 1955 snorkel fill, but the bottles work great for regular pen filling too.

Top Bottom