What's new

Indulgence of the Night - June 2008 Incl July 4th

My fiance and I are going to Brazil on our honeymoon and looking forward to drinking some caipirinhas... where'd you find the cachaca?
The local spirit shop. It's getting pretty popular, now, so it should be easy to find the bigger brands, like Leblon and a few others.

Me: "You know, I've never actually had a long island iced tea."

Me: "Hm, what's in one?"

Me: (Googles it) "Looks like it's pretty much all booze."

Me: "Sounds like a winner. But I'm sure we don't have all the ingredients."

Me: "I bet we do."

Me: "I bet we don't."

Me: (Looks in the liquor cabinet) "Check. Check. Check. You lose, big guy. Get mixin'."

Me: "Damn. You know, this seems kinda similar to the Hairy Bear from back in Bloomington."

Me: "Uugh. Don't remind me. The last time I had one of those, I was talking to myself the entire night."

Spare Ribs marinated in Peach Chutney
Braeburn Apple Cole Slaw
Cornbread with Broccoli and Onions
Smoked Mozzarella Caprese Salads

Grilled Pineapple with Maple Syrup, Walnuts and Vanilla Ice Cream

Me: "You know, I've never actually had a long island iced tea."

Me: "Hm, what's in one?"

Me: (Googles it) "Looks like it's pretty much all booze."

Me: "Sounds like a winner. But I'm sure we don't have all the ingredients."

Me: "I bet we do."

Me: "I bet we don't."

Me: (Looks in the liquor cabinet) "Check. Check. Check. You lose, big guy. Get mixin'."

Me: "Damn. You know, this seems kinda similar to the Hairy Bear from back in Bloomington."

Me: "Uugh. Don't remind me. The last time I had one of those, I was talking to myself the entire night."

Glad you enjoyed it. :biggrin:

My indulgence of the day was a Fresco Maduro from my recently acquired bundle. They're still a bit fresh, which doesn't surprise me since they were backordered, so they probably shipped immediately after being received from the factory. They show promise, though.

What color was the band, Seth?

It comes in the following...

Sun Grown-White Band
Maduro-Red Band
Camaroon-Silver Band
Champagne-Gold Band
Golf Series-Green Band

I'm assuming it was the Maduro. The Champagne would probably be more to your liking.

It came in a sealed silver wrapper and I believe the band was silver. It was not a pure dark maduro but darker than a conneticut leaf.

I'll have to try the Champagne sometime.

Add: I just checked online and it was a silver banded cigar. Please bear in mind that I'm a lightweight when it comes to cigars and a little goes a hell of a long way.

It came in a sealed silver wrapper and I believe the band was silver. It was not a pure dark maduro but darker than a conneticut leaf.

I'll have to try the Champagne sometime.

Add: I just checked online and it was a silver banded cigar. Please bear in mind that I'm a lightweight when it comes to cigars and a little goes a hell of a long way.

Ok, you had the Camaroon then. I just smoked one Saturday night and really enjoyed it. If you like milder cigars, the Champagne should be more to your liking.

Sunday enjoyed a Nub Connecticut 460 in the afternoon along with a Rogue Dead Guy Ale and Stone Arrogant Bastard.

Dinner was some BBQ'd Filets, Mashed Potato's, Haricots verts and roasted shallots with a wine reduction. Dinner was accompanied by a 2003 St. Clement's Oroppas.

I was in Houston for some meetings, when it came through on the ole blackberry that my promotion is now official.

So, on the way home, I stopped at Serious Cigars, a cigar shop and lounge that I frequented when I was working more down there. Great guys, great cigars, big comfy chairs and HDTV-- who could ask for more? I also use them to mail order cigars as gifts.

Picked out an Oliva Series O Churchill and hung with the guys. Then off to Pappasitos for some Lobster Quesedillas... amazing stuff.

I really suggest this place to anyone who travels to Houston (or lives there)-- right next to a wine bar, and near lots of eating.

Casa Torano Maduro robusto and a George Killian Irish Red. The Casa Torano maddie is good, but it's not the best maduro I've ever had. It's not a big flavor bomb which I was expecting since the Casa Torano is about the most flavorful mild stick on the planet imo. The finish on this cigar is amazing however, it's like a very nice dark chocolate. I just wished it was a little more pronounced. I'm going to try the other sizes to see if I can find the winner of the bunch.

Tonight was Hoegaarden. I have been loving white wheat beers lately. (Hoegaarden, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Bluemoon, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat)

I really need to go to the store. Some Bushmills and a Djarum Black would have went well with tonight.

Tonight was Hoegaarden. I have been loving white wheat beers lately. (Hoegaarden, Great Lakes Holy Moses, Bluemoon, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat)

I really need to go to the store. Some Bushmills and a Djarum Black would have went well with tonight.

I find Blue Moon and Sunset Wheat to be incredibly similar beers, but somehow Sunset Wheat seems to edge out Blue Moon in my opinion. Have you tried Paulaner Hefe-Weizen Natural Wheat? It's not a Belgian white wheat, but it's amazing stuff.

I find Blue Moon and Sunset Wheat to be incredibly similar beers, but somehow Sunset Wheat seems to edge out Blue Moon in my opinion. Have you tried Paulaner Hefe-Weizen Natural Wheat? It's not a Belgian white wheat, but it's amazing stuff.

I have not tried that yet. I have been meaning to try Paulaner. Sometimes I get some bad rotten veggie/plum taste from Hefeweizens (Ayinger).

Ayinger Ur-Weisse Dunkelweizen is something I think everyone should try though. Great beer.

I agree with Sunset being better. Holy Moses is the best though but it may be hard to acquire outside Ohio. It has a great chamomile taste.

I am enjoying a nice martini...with Hendrick's gin, noilly prat vermouth, and two olives. Am about to enjoy a nice bowl of Sam Gawith's Bracken Flake in a Stanwell golden danish squat pot (I just enjoy saying "squat pot").

I am enjoying a nice martini...with Hendrick's gin, noilly prat vermouth, and two olives. Am about to enjoy a nice bowl of Sam Gawith's Bracken Flake in a Stanwell golden danish squat pot (I just enjoy saying "squat pot").

Love that Hendrick's gin... I'm proud to call myself the 1 of 1000 gin drinkers that enjoys it! :001_smile

Hendrick's fan here, too, and also pleased to see another person who both appreciates a good vermouth, and realizes that it ain't a martini without some. I'd go with a lemon twist as garnish, rather than an olive, but am willing to concede the point. :)

My indulgence tonight: a walk with my 2-day-old daughter in her stroller, in a surprisingly cool evening in Atlanta. :smile:

I'm too tired to have any alcohol right now!

Top Bottom