What's new

Indulgence of the Night - June 2008 Incl July 4th

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Chocolate mousse-

Melt 6 oz dark chocolate in a double boiler
Whip 3 egg whites
When chocolate has cooled slightly, vigourously whisk in 1/2 of the egg whites to lighten mixture, then gently fold in remainder. Mix should be full of streaks.
Whip 1 cup heavy cream, and fold into above.
Refrigerate.

At 7AM, my daughter said "I can't wait to get home from school!"

Perdomo Habano Corojo robusto. I can hardly believe it, but I actually had a bad Perdomo last night. The thing just wouldn't stay lit. Oh well.

Man, yes, the Thomas Handy is special stuff. Hunt down some George T. Stagg bourbon, too -- it's basically the same technique (barrel proof and unfiltered). Amazing.

Great suggestion. Roger made his way from a Bourbon forum, so he has quite a bit of knowledge regarding the subject. :thumbup:

Busy weekend, but was able to enjoy a few Laphroaig 10's on Saturday night and a CAO Camaroon along with a couple Anchor Steams yesterday.

...barrel proof and unfiltered...

That's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it!

Here's some discussion on the wonderful world of barrel proofers that are now available. They are not all unfiltered, but all the best are! And as you no doubt know, gilrain, It's not the higher alcohol that makes them good, it's that they avoid getting watered down at bottling time.

Roger

That's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it!

Here's some discussion on the wonderful world of barrel proofers that are now available. They are not all unfiltered, but all the best are! And as you no doubt know, gilrain, It's not the higher alcohol that makes them good, it's that they avoid getting watered down at bottling time.

Roger
Indeed, of course. I cut them myself with a little of my favorite spring water, the amount depending on the mood and the bourbon.

I just moved to KY from CA, and, while certain of the liquor selection is worse (notably wine), the bourbon and rye selection (and prices) brought tears to my eyes. :w00t:

To make this on-topic, I am currently enjoying my go-to bourbon: Eagle Rare. Amazing, for the price. Buffalo Trace has to be my favorite distillery, so far... though, really, I am still a newbie compared to many.

Blade steak, rare/med. rare, marinated for 72 hours prior in a mix of honey, soy, sweet chilli, worcestershire & crushed garlic [try is sometime, its a favourite of mine]. Served with some hot chips, steamed veggies and a pint of my homebrew...

....which is a medium-bodied Saaz-hopped Pilsner with a minor addition of Chocolate-roast barley to give a rich, late taste of coffe and cocoa.

Ahh...what an evening that was. Only thing that would've made it better was a nice, fresh shave!

Cheers - boingk

ouch

Last night I had a perfect tuna fish sandwich. :lol:

I know, I know- this could start another flame war.

I just moved to KY from CA, and..the bourbon and rye selection (and prices) brought tears to my eyes. :w00t:

You're in Four Roses territory, then. Unfortunately California isn't, yet...

Their Single Barrel and periodic Barrel Proof offerings are excellent. Be on the lookout for their 120th Anniversary bottling. It'll be in and gone from Kentucky shelves probably this week. As they roll out more expressions of the juice they make they'll be the talk of all bourbondom.

Roger

Their Single Barrel and periodic Barrel Proof offerings are excellent. Be on the lookout for their 120th Anniversary bottling. It'll be in and gone from Kentucky shelves probably this week. As they roll out more expressions of the juice they make they'll be the talk of all bourbondom.

Roger
Thanks for the tip! I'll try to snag a few bottles.

This evening, continuing my attempts to appreciate the new (old) Willet bourbon, recently released. Apparently, this got a 92 from Malt Advocate. I don't get it, though -- not much of a flavor profile, just a lot of heat and the vaguest shadows of what I look for in a complex bourbon. It's a clean, quality taste, just not interesting.

I must be missing something. That, or everyone else is just swayed by the historic Willet name...

Roger

+1 on the Four Roses single barrel. A mighty fine drinking bourbon.

This evening, continuing my attempts to appreciate the new (old) Willet bourbon, recently released.

Which one? Is it the "pot still" shaped bottle or perhaps one of the barrel proofers? Most of the Willett's out now are barrel purchases by groups or retailers.

Roger

Which one? Is it the "pot still" shaped bottle or perhaps one of the barrel proofers? Most of the Willett's out now are barrel purchases by groups or retailers.

Roger
It's the pot-still shaped bottle. There's really very little copy on the bottle to identify it with, to be honest. My usual spirit shop has a good relationship with lots of distillers, and frequently choose barrels, so that may well be what they did. My usual salesman there really talked this stuff up, and he's usually pretty reliable.

It's just not my style, I guess.

ouch

Frutti di mare: poached shrimp, calamari, and scungilli with olives, onion, red pepper, and parsley in lemon juice and olive oil.

Linguini primavera: sauteed carrot, zucchini, mushroom and peas in a light cream sauce.

Zabaglione with fresh berries: egg yolks and sugar whisked over heat with marsala wine, with blueberries, strawberries , and blackberries.

Not bad, for chick food. :001_rolle

And not to forget- some amazing coffee, home roasted by our very own Scotto, who is in the wrong line of work.

Frutti di mare: poached shrimp, calamari, and scungilli with olives, onion, red pepper, and parsley in lemon juice and olive oil.

Linguini primavera: sauteed carrot, zucchini, mushroom and peas in a light cream sauce.

Zabaglione with fresh berries: egg yolks and sugar whisked over heat with marsala wine, with blueberries, strawberries , and blackberries.

Not bad, for chick food. :001_rolle

And not to forget- some amazing coffee, home roasted by our very own Scotto, who is in the wrong line of work.

Preach on, brother! :lol:

Top Bottom