What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

On Saturday, I used silicone to glue my knot into a 26mm handle I had. Now, the interior of the handle I used measured 26.8mm. The AP Muhle with that plastic cap on the base is 24.5mm in diameter/width. So, there is a gap around the perimeter of the knot/handle since this does not fit perfectly. So, this will definitely be a hang-upside-down to dry brush for now. Relatedly, that gap might mean the knot might work loose from the silicone over time. It is what it is and I have no problem re-gluing (becoming loose during a shave, is less than ideal, but it has happened to me before). Based on this, I certainly recommend getting the full brush from AP Shave for the time being. At the same time, usually a 24 mm handle often has an opening of 25 mm or so. Just suggesting that might work.

One other note, because the plastic gap base is about 14mm in height, dropping this into a more or less standard 15mm depth handle bore is very easy--no need for a spacer, to play with height, etc.

I shaved with it this morning. Wow, this is indeed a superstar synthetic. I guess I really did have a pokey one before. Less backbone than my AP 26mm MiG (much less than the G5C). Much more backbone than a Synbad. As someone who face lathers, this splayed immediately (the MiG takes about 5 seconds on the face to loosen up and splay easily). Overwhelmingly soft. Released lather like a badger/had great flow through. Just wow. Really stellar knot.

One interesting note. Sometimes a synthetic can fling lather. This did not. But, strangely, as I was swirling this on my face to get the lather going, little tiny, micro bubbles came off my face. I've never seen that before. I don't mind flinging micro bubbles at all--it'a little shaving bubble party. Still, I wanted to mention it because it was different.

Overall, the hype of this knot is well deserved and then some. Go get one now :)

To me, better than the AP G5s, probably better than the MiG for face lathering, but we will see. I like having options.

Interesting read :) I have a Muhle and was curious how it would be compared to a couple you mentioned
I know I love mine and cant find anything at fault with it :) got mine from RV but am curious to get a 23mm for fun and still try some others just to know but the Muhle stf is my fav from the 3 synthetics and over my other natural brushes :)

I just made lathers comparing the AP Muhle and the AP MiG (I did not shave though). They are so so close in performance to me. The MiG is a bit denser and has a wee bit more backbone (the Muhle STF is less dense) and the Muhle splays a bit easier and has less backbone. That's really it from what I can tell. For all I know, the MiG is just Muhle STF fibre (or a close version) but just a bit more densely packed. Both are lovely knots to my face. I look forward to some other people possibly comparing these two. A MiG knot is about $6-$8 cheaper if that matters.

Once again, I lather on my face. If I was bowl lathering (I have some soaps that work better that way), both are equally soft and can paint a face beautifully, but I think the MiG with more backbone would be preferable. YMMV and happy experimenting everyone.

On Saturday, I used silicone to glue my knot into a 26mm handle I had. Now, the interior of the handle I used measured 26.8mm. The AP Muhle with that plastic cap on the base is 24.5mm in diameter/width. So, there is a gap around the perimeter of the knot/handle since this does not fit perfectly. So, this will definitely be a hang-upside-down to dry brush for now. Relatedly, that gap might mean the knot might work loose from the silicone over time. It is what it is and I have no problem re-gluing (becoming loose during a shave, is less than ideal, but it has happened to me before). Based on this, I certainly recommend getting the full brush from AP Shave for the time being. At the same time, usually a 24 mm handle often has an opening of 25 mm or so. Just suggesting that might work.

One other note, because the plastic gap base is about 14mm in height, dropping this into a more or less standard 15mm depth handle bore is very easy--no need for a spacer, to play with height, etc.

I shaved with it this morning. Wow, this is indeed a superstar synthetic. I guess I really did have a pokey one before. Less backbone than my AP 26mm MiG (much less than the G5C). Much more backbone than a Synbad. As someone who face lathers, this splayed immediately (the MiG takes about 5 seconds on the face to loosen up and splay easily). Overwhelmingly soft. Released lather like a badger/had great flow through. Just wow. Really stellar knot.

One interesting note. Sometimes a synthetic can fling lather. This did not. But, strangely, as I was swirling this on my face to get the lather going, little tiny, micro bubbles came off my face. I've never seen that before. I don't mind flinging micro bubbles at all--it'a little shaving bubble party. Still, I wanted to mention it because it was different.

Overall, the hype of this knot is well deserved and then some. Go get one now :)

To me, better than the AP G5s, probably better than the MiG for face lathering, but we will see. I like having options.
Thanks for the comparison! i wondered about the MiG compared to this and even the G5C. I have a muhle on the way from AP Shave CO - very curious given almost unanimously great reviews.!

I've got an STF XL on the way, along with a larger-knot MiG. All the synth knots I've accumulated and experimented with recently have led to these last two being (hopefully) best fit. I did this years ago with badger brushes; this time around has been a lot less expensive but just as fun. The two brushes are similar and different enough to keep things interesting; I never wanted a collection, just a small rotation. I'm doing the same thing with razors and handles at the moment, as well. It's the only way I've ever found to lock in what I actually like and will use.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've got an STF XL on the way, along with a larger-knot MiG. All the synth knots I've accumulated and experimented with recently have led to these last two being (hopefully) best fit. I did this years ago with badger brushes; this time around has been a lot less expensive but just as fun. The two brushes are similar and different enough to keep things interesting; I never wanted a collection, just a small rotation. I'm doing the same thing with razors and handles at the moment, as well. It's the only way I've ever found to lock in what I actually like and will use.
I thinned out my small brush collection too... and I passed on several great razors because I found 7 that worked great for me. It's sort of a nice feeling.... after I get over that void that shows up for me when I've completed a search. I've replaced the void by concentrating on the great shaves I'm getting. I should say.... I'm "replacing" it... the void is dissipating... and the contentment is growing as I relax and embrace the pleasure the razors I have provide.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve been alternating my G5A, Silksmoke, and Titanium UHD brushes this week and have noticed a few things.

As a reference, I paint lather much more often than splaying/scrubbing and all lofts are too tall - even the 39mm loft on the Wee Scot by some competitor.

The Silksmoke remains a favorite knot after all this. Its softness and its backbone are very close to the Titanium UHD.

The Titanium UHD has more density and seemingly more softness than the Silksmoke, but in a manner of degrees and not magnitude. For reasons unknown to my blunt skull, it makes the lather I want faster and easier than the Silksmoke, but, again, not the type of difference that’d rattle one’s brain loose and cause ecstatic screaming. Definitely better and noticeably better, but not so much to discount the absolute awesomeness of the Silksmoke.

The G5A, well, it feels totally different. Set extra low like I begged upped its considerable backbone, but the main take away is that it simultaneously feels identical to a badger and definitely not like a badger. Pure joy to use, but it feels like it’s from another plane of existence compared to any other knot I’ve used (my manger has pigs, badgers, a horse, and a bunch of synths).

My favorite knot, the Cashmere, is now my face-wash before lathering knot. Plush, among the softest one can get without a prescription from AliExpress, and a sinfully decadent way to clean and soften stubble before using a scrubbier brush for the main event. With an unscented, glycerin soap, ‘accidentally’ using too much soap and ‘having’ to add more and more water sort of happens.

My current Fear Of Missing Out regarding knots is now the following:

What if I got a G5A knot set like Andrew actually recommends?

What about the G5C, MIG, and STFu knots?

Could the possibly tangly Boti knot free up my Cashmere from its nightly toil of washing oil, grime, loose change, and cereal flakes off me and let it go back to joining the Titanium UHD, Silksmoke, G5A, and off-brands in lathering up shaving soap?

I may never know and the current lineup of Titanium UHD, Silksmoke, and G5A (all used after an extensive Cashmere brush face wash) help me pretend I don’t care.

The Titanium UHD has more density and seemingly more softness than the Silksmoke, but in a manner of degrees and not magnitude. For reasons unknown to my blunt skull, it makes the lather I want faster and easier than the Silksmoke
I think if you read this in a circle, you kind of answered your own question. For reasons unknown... the Ti UHD has more density. With synthetics, to me, more density means more water holdability. Even mine without saturated fat, is thikk. But I am still not happy with it's inability to pull soap off a puck like a magic, it sounds like the UHD solves this. But then again, Muhle is doing some kind of voodoo because my ULD 23mm mop does the magic trick! According to Andrew, they use 7 different fibres so it's not about finding the perfect width or taper, but the variety I guess. I would, and am, get a 25mm Muhle next! :devil:

thombrogan

I appreciate your observation and use of the word “holdabilty,” Aaron. Will the 25mm be better? It’s not a prime number like the 23mm and not an even number like rest of the AP ShaveCo lineup. The things you do for science.

AP Shave has a handle/brush drop tomorrow at 5 PM Eastern. Three Muhle brushes are in there for anyone interested (not on sale, just all ready to go).

I have all the G5s and my favorite is the one I set myself, a C in fan that I gave the tallest possible loft without the plastic plug showing above the handle. I'm ready to try some of the new offerings but don't know how to decide between the Ti, Mig or stf.
If you can get the STF, get the STF. But it's a close call with a 26mm MiG. The STF is a bit softer; the MiG is very close and has a bit more backbone.

If you get a Rudy STF, he will set it at 55mm; the AP STF w/handle will be a bit loftier. Get the AP 26mm MiG set at 54-55mm. If you're thinking of a 24mm MiG, the best that it can be set at will be around 49-50mm. It still works, and while it will still splay, the spread will be smaller than you might like. It's a good scrubber at that loft, still with soft tips.

Others here will suggest getting both. This is not a bad suggestion.

BTW, if "Ti" means AP's Titanium synth knot, then it should have some of the softest tips around and be very dense with lots of backbone. I had two of the Simpson versions and they were not the easiest of splayers but great face-painters. I think it was a bit springier than the others, but don't quote me. I also don't recall its flow-through, but the STF and MiG give up lather easily, and whatever spring they have is no big deal.

thombrogan

First use of a G5C last night. More uses desired; and a bias arising from the handle having a dinosaur skeleton etched on it clearly clouds my judgement; but I was very impressed how it felt so soft and gentle while feeling like it had a lot of backbone. The fan shape feels perfect both head-on and painting at an angle. The ivorine, resin handle is extremely smooth, but shaped to fit perfectly in my grimy paws. And there’s a dinosaur skeleton etched on it!

Being a complete layman with less than even a dabbler’s enthusiasm for paleontology, I merely pretend it’s a T-Rex skeleton and hope I’m right. I know it’s not an ankylosaurus, triceratops , or velociraptor. If it were an allosaurus, I wouldn’t soil myself in alarm.

Back to the knot. On some synthetic knots, painting with the bristles at an angle; instead of the tips of the knot; feels squeaky/slimy, but not so with the G5C (or G5A). Like when painting with the tips, it feels just right.

Andrew set the knot in my brush lower than my 24mm G5A at my insistence and, at about 45mm, it still seems massive beside my Ω ΞVO v1 brush (which he didn’t set). And feels better, too.

First use of a G5C last night. More uses desired; and a bias arising from the handle having a dinosaur skeleton etched on it clearly clouds my judgement; but I was very impressed how it felt so soft and gentle while feeling like it had a lot of backbone. The fan shape feels perfect both head-on and painting at an angle. The ivorine, resin handle is extremely smooth, but shaped to fit perfectly in my grimy paws. And there’s a dinosaur skeleton etched on it!

Being a complete layman with less than even a dabbler’s enthusiasm for paleontology, I merely pretend it’s a T-Rex skeleton and hope I’m right. I know it’s not an ankylosaurus, triceratops , or velociraptor. If it were an allosaurus, I wouldn’t soil myself in alarm.

Back to the knot. On some synthetic knots, painting with the bristles at an angle; instead of the tips of the knot; feels squeaky/slimy, but not so with the G5C (or G5A). Like when painting with the tips, it feels just right.

Andrew set the knot in my brush lower than my 24mm G5A at my insistence and, at about 45mm, it still seems massive beside my Ω ΞVO v1 brush (which he didn’t set). And feels better, too.
Glad to see he's finally doing lower loft settings for his brushes. 2-3 years ago I bought a bunch of his cheap synths and he wasn't able to set them low and even when I sprung for a couple G5A knots in his more premium handles it was still way too tall a loft and at that time I was using a Shavemac brush with a 48mm loft and he basically told me the lowest he would go was 55/56mm. I should have passed as I never use those brushes

Dinosaurs make EVERYTHING better!
OK, even Christmas?!

IMG_0453.jpeg

thombrogan

It helps that the Etched Series and Shavemac brushes have a depth of 22mm instead of 13mm and the G5x knots are slightly shorter than most other knots.

Top Bottom