What's new

Improper use of words that drive me nuts (the morans are out to get us!)

I know it's trivial, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard when I read these mistakes:

Your/You're - like, "You're driving to the store in your car."

Their/They're/There - like, "They're driving over there in their car."

We're/Wear/Where/Were - as if, "What will I wear, when we're going out?" And, "Where were you going again?

Finally, Am I being too picky to let this bug me?

Last spring I was in an American History class, and we had a large mid-term paper to write. The day our instructor was due to give them back to us, he stormed into the room and chucked the folder on the desk with the words:
"My god how the hell did you people pass high school?!"
He then proceeds to write about the exact same problems you have listed, and rants for another 15 minutes ending with
"How do any of you expect to get a JOB with writing this bad?!"

...I got 195/200 with only 2 typos not related to this issue :biggrin1:

Penultimate and nonplussed. Granted, they don't come up often, but when they do it's a 50/50 shot that the writer is misusing it.

Yes, that always makes me laugh when people misuse "penultimate". Whenever I see someone state that something they are lauding is "the penultimate whatever", I always have to ask "so, what do you consider the best then?" :lol::lol::lol:

Your heading is "Improper use of words that drive me nuts (the morans are out to get us!) "

Someone else might be driven nuts by the misspelling of "moron" :wink2:

Ironic reference to this.

To the OP - did you really mean morans (as spelled in your subject line) or morons?

Improper use of words that drive me nuts (the morans are out to get us!)

Who are the Morans? Are they related to Bugs Moran?

If you read the entire thread, there is a photo of a guy holding a sign that reads, "Get a Brain, Morans"; obviously spelled wrong. The mods later added that 'moran' tag to the original thread title. :wink2:

Morans! Get a brian!

proxy.php

Top Bottom