What's new

Improper use of words that drive me nuts (the morans are out to get us!)

Examples?
"Hussy" - came from huswif 'house wife' or 'house woman'.

How many of the men here will be prepared to go home and call their wife a 'hussy'?

Queen - once was Cwen 'woman' (cf Scandinavian kona 'woman')

Black once meant 'white' (See blanc 'white' - 'no colour' - 'black' - we now have black and blank coming from the Norman French (can't pinpoint the date).

All the best,
Michael who likes language change.

Your heading is "Improper use of words that drive me nuts (the morans are out to get us!) "

Someone else might be driven nuts by the misspelling of "moron" :wink2:

Forgive me if this has already been posted, I only took the time to read the first page. The one that bothers me regularly is hearing people say "I could care less", when they mean to say "I couldn't care less".

proxy.php

There is a big difference though between wrong spelling in your native language and wrong spelling in another language. If someone would try very hard to write something in Dutch, so I could understand better, I'd forgive him or her any spelling mistakes.

But thanks for some tips!

I don't know if this is the case outside the UK, but here in IT circles there's one particular misused word that always sets my teeth edge - showstopper.

The dictionary gives the meaning as:-

Theater. a performer or performance that wins enthusiastic or prolonged applause.

In IT it's used to describe an insurmountable problem with a system, just about the exact opposite of the original meaning.

"Improper use of words that drive me nuts"

I believe that you are using simple present tense, so you should instead write:

Improper use of words that drives me nuts.

Otherwise it sounds like it is the actual words that drive your crazy, and not their improper usage.

But I may be wrong about the tense, in that it appears that the subject of your sentence is the phrase "Improper use of words." Singular or plural? :laugh: Were you to remove the word "that" the answer would be clear.

Oh well. I have a pretty good idea of your intended meaning, so don't mind me. Carry on. :lol:

+1, Who's this bloke think he is any ways?

Even the title thread is wrong,, should be,

Improper use of me fingers to scratch me nuts (the Morans are out to get Chopper and Carl Williams!)

as long as it's funny and witty who cares if it's got a few stuff ups? better than reading those letters you get from those lawyers, cops, bills and the fine print in contracts that are always perfectly written!

Last edited:

Who are the Morans? Are they related to Bugs Moran?

At first glance I thought it said the mormons were out to get us, and reminded myself not to answer the door if there was someone wearing a suit.

Last edited:
To the OP - did you really mean morans (as spelled in your subject line) or morons?

If you read the entire thread, there is a photo of a guy holding a sign that reads, "Get a Brain, Morans"; obviously spelled wrong. The mods later added that 'moran' tag to the original thread title. :wink2:

Last edited:
There's a great podcast called "Grammar Girl." She explains basic, and some not so basic, rules of grammar. She has 3 levels of whom vs. Who. Check it out.

the one that gets me above all others, and i'm sure it has been mentioned, but i'm not going to read through 20 pages of people's rants, is seen.

"i seen 2 of them go by."
"yeah, i seen 'em."

other than that, i try not to get too bent out of shape, as i know how easy it is to misspell words, or leave out words, when trying to get a quick thought out on a thread.

if we were writing novels, yes, i could see the importance of correct punctuation, grammar and spelling being more of an issue. however, we're just here to share info and tips in a casual manner.

I know it's trivial, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard when I read these mistakes:

Your/You're - like, "You're driving to the store in your car."

Their/They're/There - like, "They're driving over there in their car."

We're/Wear/Where/Were - as if, "What will I wear, when we're going out?" And, "Where were you going again?

Finally, Am I being too picky to let this bug me?

No one is perfect, enjoy ppl. for:

...who they are
...whom they are
...who they is
...who they ain't
we iz all unique...:w00t:

Sue

Top Bottom