What's new

I'm thinking this doesn't look right

I need a bit of help here. Bought this Esterbrook last week. It writes great, but I think the sac is twisted. I noticed that I needed to refill or do a little jumpstart to get the pen writing. I'm sure this is not how it should look and sacs look easy enough to replace. HELP! And yes, there is ink in there

View attachment 330243

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Just put in a new #16 sac. What happened was someone installed the section, then turned it to align the lever to the nib or whatever and it was caught in the pressure bar. Then it sat for a few years (decades).

Lesson here, use talc so it can move and go straight in if possible when slipping the section back to the barrel.

Just put in a new #16 sac. What happened was someone installed the section, then turned it to align the lever to the nib or whatever and it was caught in the pressure bar. Then it sat for a few years (decades).

Lesson here, use talc so it can move and go straight in if possible when slipping the section back to the barrel.

Thanks Doug. Doesn't sound too difficult. Do I need to glue it, or will it fit that tightly?

I think I may have discovered the actual problem, the Nib. I got a 9550 nib off of ETSY. Paid about $10 +shipping. Hope that's not too much. But anyway, I noticed the pen writes great, I actually like the finer nib too, but I haven't had to "jumpstart" it. Yet. When I flushed the other nib, I noticed some crud in the fins (black part) of it, so I soaked it, and soaked it, put an old toothbrush on it. That may have been the problem. I ordered some sacs anyway, they should be here shortly. The guy who I bought this from has some others. He asked me to get some sacs for him. Maybe, if I can successfully replace the one on mine, I can work out a deal with him for a few other pens.

Or, do I only need one fountain pen? :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When it comes to fountain pens, "only one" is an imaginary number.

i^2=-1, which tells me that no matter how many pipes you have, you are still one short of what you need.

on edit: oops, I am in the Nib. Same rule applies.

Last edited:
One is a funny number, I meant I need one more!

and I think my other nib was the issue. Wrote with no issues this morning and afternoon. My sacs came in anyway. Got them from Fountainpensacs.com SUPER fast ship!

Much better. Got the sacs in a day or two ago. Replaced it with ease. The original nib that came with the pen has been cleaned and cleared of the junk that was in it, so it writes excellently, well as excellently as it can in MY hands. Think it's a keeper. Now, to talk the shop owner that has some more of those into letting me replace the other sacs on his pens / cleaning the nibs up in exchange for a few of the ones that I fix. I think he'll go for it....

Top Bottom