What's new

If you had to purchase one high end brush what would it be?

I am looking for a great high end brush and have read great things about Paladins. I face lather and I am currently using the Stirling black and white tuxedo synthetic brush.

I am eyeing the Sherlock Paladin.

What say the board?

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the standard production high end brushes. The Paladins are beautiful.

I've never used a Paladin. That being said, I don't know how you could go wrong by choosing a brush from the Simpson Chubby line for face lathering. I prefer the Super hair myself. Others will tell you that Simpson's best hair is a better value. I can't really disagree that much...my only gripe with Simpson Best is that occasionally you get a Best brush with scritchy hair, and sometimes super soft. I find that the Super costs a bit more, but is always soft.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Paladins are great to look at, but are a bit large for my tastes as one who prefers to face-lather hard soaps.

I tend to denser brushes in the 22-24 mm knot range, especially Simpsons. My current herd includes: Chubby 1, Duke 2, 57, and Classic 2 (all in best) and a Tulip 2 in super. I would definitely recommend any of these!

That said, I just ordered a Rudy Vey 25mm Shavemac 2 band as part of the B&B group purchase!

I’ve found that “high-end” in the brush department does not equal a better experience. Especially when it comes to face lathering. My favourite knots are all synthetic and include Tuxedo, SilkSmoke, and Timberwolf. I pretty much exclusively face lather with shave soap and in my opinion a quality $50 artisanal handle and synth knot outperforms a pricey badger every time. That being said, like @BigJ, I just ordered one of the RV/Shavemac Group Buy brushes and eagerly await its arrival. We’ll see if it can change my mind. My other badgers weren’t able to.

I was wondering when the BAD was going to kick in for you. Happy hunting.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, get whatever brush responds to your requirements and looks great to your eye.

My #1 pick is the Simpson Chubby 1 Super.

For me any Thater 2-Band. They seem to have the most symmetrical knots, good handle design, handle weight and their two band when compared to Shavemac, M&F, Simpson and others has about the perfect balance of firmness and super soft tips.

Thater Beehive 26mm 2-Band bulb.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I’ve found that “high-end” in the brush department does not equal a better experience. Especially when it comes to face lathering. My favourite knots are all synthetic and include Tuxedo, SilkSmoke, and Timberwolf. I pretty much exclusively face lather with shave soap and in my opinion a quality $50 artisanal handle and synth knot outperforms a pricey badger every time. That being said, like @BigJ, I just ordered one of the RV/Shavemac Group Buy brushes and eagerly await its arrival. We’ll see if it can change my mind. My other badgers weren’t able to.

@Mullen88 What is a good quality artisian handle with a synthetic brush? What company or brand do you recommend?

@Mullen88 What is a good quality artisian handle with a synthetic brush? What company or brand do you recommend?

Most are on Etsy. APShave Co. makes a wonderful handle and their 28mm SilkSmoke knot is just amazing. A nice balance between the backbone of a Tuxedo and the softness of a Cashmere.
Wild West Brushworks is another amazing company and the customer service is spectacular. Their 24mm Tuxedo’s and 28mm Timberwolf are awesome. The Timberwolf is the most similar knot to a Badger I’ve found in a synth if you enjoy Badgers.
TurnNShave is also a very good brush artisan.

Some others to consider:

ThatDarnRob
LoveYourShave
RichManShaving
LowbornSupply
MozingoBrushworks
DogwoodHandcrafts
HoneyFarmDesign

Happy hunting.

I was in the same boat and i purchased a Paladin Tut in Jan. I love the brush. The only problem i had was i was afraid to damage it so i was not getting the best lather. After a few shaves i threw caution to the wind and got after it. It softened up a bit and is a joy to use. I cant explain the knot but you wont be dissappointed.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Everything recommended above are excellent suggestions. I have One of almost all of them and can recommend any.

Paladin is a superb brush, I have 6, I'll probably get more.

I couldn't possibly agree more with that statement.

Thanks every one for the recommendations and the input. I found a great deal on a Chubby 1 Best Hair on Amazon with free 2 day shipping for $104.00 went with it. Looking forward to lathering that puppy up!!! Happy Shaving!!!!

It would be a Simpson Chubby 3 for me!! That brush seems amazing!! But damn is it expensive!! I'll probably never get it in this lifetime!! lol

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The Ch1 Best is the only one of 5-6 Chubbies I kept. It is one of my favorites. I predict you will love it.

I'd go for the Paladin. I have four as well as the Chubby 2. My favorite brush of all of them is the Paladin El Dorado.

It's the one on the left. It is dense, soft to the face, and makes great lather.

full

Top Bottom