What's new

I Quit

Man, it's like that episode of "Band of Brothers" I watched last week. The new guy is gone and I barely got to know his name. Good luck, The Carpenter.

There is no harm in reverting, and good luck to you.

I note your reference to the aristocratic psychological effects on the DE true believers. Then someone jumped on you for the link to your auction and the ever-vigilant mods made sure that the link was expunged, even though your intention and need were clear and no harm could have possibly resulted. This sort of Savanarolish philistinism is, alas, a feature of part of the DE community. I'm not surprised that it turned you off.

With about 2 weeks of traditional wet shaving, you just got past the start line of the learning curve by quiting now.

Traditional wet shaving is like EVE Online..
proxy.php

Really, is it necessary to compare the people who enjoy this self gratifying harmless hobby to a people who destroy technology out of fear and anxiety? I contend that a traditional wet shaving enthusiast participates in this hobby not out of fear of loss, but for a zest of life.

I said that in order for me to continue to shave this way I would have to be a shaving a luddite. I italicized the I for a reason.

Last edited:
hello to all of the members of the forum,

i am sorry to report that i have given up on traditional wet shaving. I honestly just don't see the benefit in it other than the psychological effects it may have on some people. The combination of a brush, traditional shaving cream or soap and the chrome plated razor can make for an almost aristocratic experience. However, it takes more time and concentration than modern shaving technology. When it's all said and done, i get a quicker and overall better shave with a gillette sensor excel and edge ultra-sensitive shaving gel. Of course it's all a matter of perspective and opinion, but my opinion is that it's not worth it. In order for me to continue shaving with these methods, i would need to be a shaving luddite.

ok.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. I started shaving with a DE, later switched to a cartridge (with varying degrees of success) and now back to DE, SE and straight. Starting with DE, my experience is not comparable to yours. All the best in the future. :thumbup1:

Now that I think of it, many years ago I tried electric. Always wound up with bumps and burns and a crappy shave. I've heard some people love the way they shave; maybe I just did not give it enough of a chance?!?!? :blink:

I will now search for an online forum dedicated to electric shaving! Let's see, if wet shaving enthusiasts used "Badger & Blade" what would electric shavers use...

I have it! As the grinding of those electric shavers always left me with bumps I will begin my quest by searching the internet for "Bump & Grind".

I shall return and let you know what I find.

Traditional wet shaving is like EVE Online

Disagree.

1. Rockets are good things in wetshaving.
2. Eagles are good things in wetshaving.
3. Wetshaving takes place on sharded servers.
4. EVE Online is done drunk more often than not. This includes the CCP staff, according to my wife.
5. Ever wonder what was inside those pilot capsules?

|
V

proxy.php

For me it is an aristocratic experience :lol:. s

Seriously. He's the guy willingly shelling out 4 bucks a cart and I'm paying 18 cents per blade yet I'M the one with the "aristocratic experience"! :blink:

The world's turned upside-down.

If push comes to shove, The Carpenter, and I treated DE wet-shaving as a merely utilitarian activity, which you seem to regard it as, rather than an experience to be enjoyed or a hobby, I could make due on $30/year, all in, for blades and soap. Why do you think that millions upon millions of men all around the world still DE shave? It's because they CAN'T AFFORD $4 cartridges every week and the cost of mass-marketed canned goo.

A properly executed DE shave will, objectively, provide a better shave than any modern "system" ever could. That, however, does not happen without practice.

Yes, it can be expensive; yes, you can spend tons of money. But to not have given it a chance and given yourself the chance to build the skills and finesse necessary all the while throwing around terms like "aristocratic experience" and "Luddite" is an offense to the members of this board and a gross selling-short of yourself. Hell, you quit before you even began.

Last edited:
It's matter of sticking with it to get great quick shaves with a DE. If the dedication is not there neither will there be success.

Sorry it didn't work out for ya.

When I really think about it, a Fusion wasn't really that bad. Goo on OTOH really sucks, and I haven't used that in about 15 years.

A ballpoint is much faster, less messy, and much cheaper than fountain pens. Yet I love having a fountain pen in my hand, and a vintage Gillette on my face.

To each his own. At least you gave it a try.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. May I suggest you hang onto the equipment you've already invested in because I suspect in a few weeks or months you may want to try it again. Everyones learning curve is different, for some of us it takes a bit longer.

I don't believe that DE shaving is for everyone.

I have been at it off and on for about 18 months and I'm just now getting pretty good at it. (I may be the slowest learner in the world.)

Even now I sometimes shave with a Trac II or a Bic sensitive. Most frequently I do a hybrid shave, using a Trac II for the first pass and then finishing the shave with my DE.

Whatever works.

Sorry to to see you go THECARPENTER. You gave it go and it wasn't for you, but I take my hat off to you for trying it.

I don't see the point in haranguing the guy for giving in. Some of us made the switch and loved it so much it became a hobby. Hell, Victor Kyam bought the company. Not all of us are motivated in such ways. For many, shaving is just another daily ritual and no matter how much you dress it up it will always be just shaving. Nothing more. Perhaps that was it? Shaving is essentially just a daily ritual and not a hobby.

We here at B&B take on a different view of shaving to most. Many of us are perfectionists or strive to be. Many of us have Obsessive-Compulsive traits and take many things to the Nth degree, I know I do.

It seems that all that didn't sit too well with the guy. It's not a worry to me. To each his own I say.

many people feel as you

few feel as those that remain true to the tradition

there is no shame either way

may your paths in life be easy ones

Top Bottom