What's new

I just don't get it...more ingrown hairs!

Are you getting your face and neck clean before your shave? Get a good face scrub, with acetylsalicylic or salicylic acid, and scrub before you shave. I also took a bottle of witch hazel (mine has alcohol in it) and dropped in 10-12 uncoated aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and use after shaving and again at night after a good face scrub. I used to get bumps like yours no matter what I did, after just a week or so of scrubbing and treating with the aspirin/witch hazel its getting much better. As always, YMMV. Good luck!

i too seem to be getting some ingrown hair around my mouth (chin and upper lip) i used to get razor bumps with feather blades, but i switched to derby and those went away. now i just get these bumps with a white head on them. im gonna see if my AS is causing the problem, im also gonna order some different shaving soap. any other thoughts?

Yeah, I scrub before I shave. I used a cart yesterday and had no problems. Maybe I'm just destined for carts.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
This article http://barbereile.blogspot.com/2011/04/razor-bumps-and-ingrown-hair.html is by Barber Eile, a member here who has recently qualified as a barber. It explains the causes of razor bumps and ingrowns. Hopefully you'll find some help there.
RF1963:
+ 1 and as a man of color, I've found that Barber-Eile's advice..."regular gentle exfoliation [I use a simple small natural bristle brush (got the idea from member
J. Roger...http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/193129-suggestion-for-those-of-you-with-ingrown-hair... morning and night], can help the condition".

I also found her advice, "If it is just one or two present, the trapped hair can be gently [lifted], with sterilized tweezers [or needle],. The hair should only be coaxed out from under the skin and not plucked out so as to avoid scarring and possible recurrence", to be of a great benefit. :yesnod:

*blushes*
That article gets the most views on my blog. I'm glad it was informative for you. I found it really interesting to research!
Barber-Eile:
+ 2 on your very informative and interesting article. :thumbsup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Life is [like] a razor, you are always in hot water or a scrape" Anonymous

Are you getting your face and neck clean before your shave? Get a good face scrub, with acetylsalicylic or salicylic acid, and scrub before you shave. I also took a bottle of witch hazel (mine has alcohol in it) and dropped in 10-12 uncoated aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and use after shaving and again at night after a good face scrub. I used to get bumps like yours no matter what I did, after just a week or so of scrubbing and treating with the aspirin/witch hazel its getting much better. As always, YMMV. Good luck!

+1 on this advise. Can you give us your preshave routine followed by your post shave routine with what you use exactly? It may help to isolate the problem.... don't throw in the towel yet.
Mike

Last edited:
Sure. I shower before and use Neutrogena face wash with a face scrubber exfoliator. After shower I use Shave Secret to prep my whiskers. I use either my Semogue boar brush or tweezerman badger soaked in warm water. I then use either my SCS refined soap or VDH glycerin with just a little shave cream from the Real Shaving Co. I get a great lather, then use my EJ89. As far a blade, I've tried a variety but they all feel about the same (except the wilkinson swords...didn't like them at all). I shave then rinse with cold water, then use either my SCS aftershave or a neutrogena balm, and I'm done.

Sure. I shower before and use Neutrogena face wash with a face scrubber exfoliator. After shower I use Shave Secret to prep my whiskers. I use either my Semogue boar brush or tweezerman badger soaked in warm water. I then use either my SCS refined soap or VDH glycerin with just a little shave cream from the Real Shaving Co. I get a great lather, then use my EJ89. As far a blade, I've tried a variety but they all feel about the same (except the wilkinson swords...didn't like them at all). I shave then rinse with cold water, then use either my SCS aftershave or a neutrogena balm, and I'm done.

Maybe the scrubber is causing it. Sounds like you may have sensitive skin and the scrubber may be too harsh or a combo for your skin. Is it always in the same spot that the ingrown hair occurs?

Yep...the left side of my neck. I had one on the right, but it wasn't a big deal and disappeared quickly.

So I've been using Mentos AS and bump stopper along with my old carts and the ingrowns are disappearing, so I think I'll lay off the de's for awhile. Kinda bummed.

Okay, so much for that theory. This may be a long shot, but I too started with "new" ingrown hairs that I never got with carts. When I started with a DE (not long ago), the razor wasn't the only thing that I changed. Pre-shave prep, shave, and post shave....things changed. In my case, I narrowed it down to the aftershave balm that I was using. I switched back to an alcohol based aftershave splash and the ingrowns disappeared. YMMV, but, the point is to consider other things that may have changed in your entire routine. As for skipping a few days, I'll let the more experienced members advise on that. Good luck....I hope you get it figured out!

+ 1000! I was using balms and would get 1-2, ingrowns per week. I switched to alcohol based aftershave, and now I never get them!

Last edited:
Ultimately, you may need to stick with carts. If you do, you may want to try Trac II or Atra carts (Gillette brand or knock-offs). They may prove to be much more affordable if bought in bulk and you should be able to get at least 3 quality shaves from each. This would be especially true if you are using the many other quality products that we're exposed to here. I still occasionally shave with my
Trac II just for kicks and I always get a really nice, trouble-free shave. You've got to do what works best and keeps you encouraged. Good luck.

Two things helped me: Aveeno Shaving cream, which was recommended by my dermatologist, and "Mentos" post-shave lotion three times a day for a couple of weeks. Mentos can be found at Atlanta Barber Supply, and it only costs $3.00.

You mean Mentos - THE FRESHMAKER!!!!

Top Bottom