What's new

I got bored

I'd tap it with a brass jeweler's hammer on an anvil. Apprenticed in an auto body shop in the seventies -- wouldn't use pliers.
Don’t have an anvil so I HAD to use pliers! Channelocks used in lieu of anvil. It’s getting there!

Attachments

• IMG_3988.jpeg
    IMG_3988.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3992.png
    IMG_3992.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 5
I'm no skeered of giving things a good BASHing, but Jeebus H! I was cringing right up to the end. :scared:

Congratulations, one from one is still a one hundred percent success rate, but one fail will now equal a fifty percent reduction. :D
Brass becomes brittle when you bend it, and that bend? Ok you still a winner chikin dinner. :D

Ok, here's another question. Does anyone make a head that matches the Merkur 15c\41c that is NOT made from Zamak? I can buy another top plate for an old type, but I like the blade alignment better when I put the Merkur top cap on this razor. Maybe its a combo of shape and shape/thickness/angle of the top cap. Basically I wish Merkur would just make their open combs out of brass lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4024.png
    IMG_4024.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4021.png
    IMG_4021.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4023.jpeg
    IMG_4023.jpeg
    973.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
What I would do? .... BASH it !! no wait .......

I would try tracing the end profile of each cap as carefully as you can, like nice sharp pincil, steady hand, then if you use transparent paper, lay one over the other and see if you can cut/file/bash/add metal to the offender into the shape of the other?

Or you could just BASH it :D

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like the blade alignment better when I put the Merkur top cap on this razor. Maybe its a combo of shape and shape/thickness/angle of the top cap.
Just run it, it'll likely last for years. Nine bucks at DOVO/Merkur

Just run it, it'll likely last for years. Nine bucks at DOVO/Merkur

Yessir, I won’t stop using it for certain. Just used…..well the top plate anyway 👍 Reading up on the whole Zamak thing has been interesting. I won’t shy away from it, but I also like the idea of things aging and showing their age gracefully. Seeing copper or brass start to peak through and then patina looks pretty cool to me. But also, like we discussed, that raw Zamak has a look of its own as well!

Attachments

• IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom