What's new

I got bored

Had some free time and since I like to mess with things, thought I’d try to “customize” my pre-war Tech. Dremel, sandpaper, vinegar, and salt were my tools of choice. Now it’s the polar opposite look from my Merkur 41c which is shiny chrome. I prefer the patina’d look over pristine and blingy.

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3947.jpeg
    IMG_3947.jpeg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3942.jpeg
    IMG_3942.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
Fair enough. Mainly I exposed the raw metal and forced a patina. No real harm and I already buffed off the patina from the head. I just shaved with it and still smooth as it was before. This one will be sticking around. I'd like to end up with one open comb and one closed with at least one being vintage. Think this pre-war Tech will be my closed comb. Contemplating trying a version 2 Piccolo in nickel plating to possibly unseat my Merkur 41c which I really like, but would prefer different build materials.
Uhhh….. It’s your razor, you can do what you want with it. But bear in mind that those razors aren’t made anymore.

Had some free time and since I like to mess with things, thought I’d try to “customize” my pre-war Tech. Dremel, sandpaper, vinegar, and salt were my tools of choice. Now it’s the polar opposite look from my Merkur 41c which is shiny chrome. I prefer the patina’d look over pristine and blingy.
I've ruined a few Techs myself. The brass will patina to a nice rainbow of colors if you gently dry it after every shave. All of these except the Dragon Techs were won by members in a PIF. They got to choose the theme of the etched design. @emwolf had his plated in gold. I'm over the obsession to tinker with them but it was fun while it lasted.
Trek Tech.JPGAfter and Before Gillette Tech.JPGIMG_0370.JPGIMG_0467.JPGDr Love.JPGGold Plated Running Wolf Tech.jpgIMG_4063.jpeg

I've ruined a few Techs myself. The brass will patina to a nice rainbow of colors if you gently dry it after every shave. All of these except the Dragon Techs were won by members in a PIF. They got to choose the theme of the etched design. @emwolf had his plated in gold. I'm over the obsession to tinker with them but it was fun while it lasted.
View attachment 1754075View attachment 1754070View attachment 1754072View attachment 1754076View attachment 1754084View attachment 1754081View attachment 1754078
Wow, very cool! Yea I'm not going to mess with any more razors, and after I buffed off the patina I emptied out all the 20 gauge shot that I filled the handle with. Finished shaving with it half hour ago and it was great. Everything I've had so far is silver and shiny, so I wanted to get a little taste of the raw. Didn't love the Tech at first, clogging issues, but I have since thinned out my shaving cream a bit and I like it more each time. Thanks for posting these!

Wow, very cool! Yea I'm not going to mess with any more razors, and after I buffed off the patina I emptied out all the 20 gauge shot that I filled the handle with. Finished shaving with it half hour ago and it was great. Everything I've had so far is silver and shiny, so I wanted to get a little taste of the raw. Didn't love the Tech at first, clogging issues, but I have since thinned out my shaving cream a bit and I like it more each time. Thanks for posting these!
If it shaves well and you like it, that's all that matters...

Fair enough. Mainly I exposed the raw metal and forced a patina. No real harm and I already buffed off the patina from the head. I just shaved with it and still smooth as it was before. This one will be sticking around. I'd like to end up with one open comb and one closed with at least one being vintage. Think this pre-war Tech will be my closed comb. Contemplating trying a version 2 Piccolo in nickel plating to possibly unseat my Merkur 41c which I really like, but would prefer different build materials.
I am sure it looks a lot smoother after the quick buff. Techs are plentiful and I bet you learned some useful stuff. Enjoy the journey and keep experimenting.

Contemplating trying a version 2 Piccolo in nickel plating to possibly unseat my Merkur 41c which I really like, but would prefer different build materials.
I’m with you. I love the vintage Giillettes with the finish worn to the brass on the top caps.

You should check out a New since you like the pre-war Tech. I have a New short comb and it shaves very similarly to the pre war Tech, maybe a bit more efficient.

I’m with you. I love the vintage Giillettes with the finish worn to the brass on the top caps.

You should check out a New since you like the pre-war Tech. I have a New short comb and it shaves very similarly to the pre war Tech, maybe a bit more efficient.
I might take a look at those. I got an Old Type today and the cap is bent so it's unusable, but the seller is accepting a return. Pretty bummed because it looked to be a vintage version of the 41c that I have and really like. I'll have to take a closer look at the New versions.
IMG_3974.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3980.png
    IMG_3980.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 46
Top Bottom