What's new

How to make your shave experience better?

What would make your shave experience better? For me, it'd be having my own bathroom away from our bedroom. Our master bath is joined with the master bedroom. So when I'm shaving, my wife is literally in the next room sleeping so I try my best to be as quiet as possible.

Honestly, what would make it better for me is if I could settle on something. Grab that 1 razor loaded with the same blade everyday. Maybe a couple different creams. So far all I've found as a favorite is a brush. Small steps I guess.

What would make your shave experience better? For me, it'd be having my own bathroom away from our bedroom. Our master bath is joined with the master bedroom. So when I'm shaving, my wife is literally in the next room sleeping so I try my best to be as quiet as possible.

Same here. I have to try to be quiet, so no music, and I shave with only the shower and closet lights on, not the actual bathroom light.

For me a great shave has 4 things; sharp steel, great smells, warm water and music. I enjoy changing up the steel, switching between my DE & DX. For smells I keep my assorted soaps in an old liquor bourbon box. When wrapping up the shave I like to switch between a few aftershave splashes but I usually settle on D.R. Harris Windsor. The warm water is pretty self explanatory :001_smile. Lastly, for music it's a mood thing for me I fire up my speakers and jam out to alternative, Sinatra or catch a little Howard Stern in the morning.

You can also try shaving in the evenings, or during a time when your wife isn't sleeping. I enjoy shaving in the evening when I think it can give me a bit more time to enjoy the experience.

One last thing to try is set aside a few bucks each week that you would have otherwise spent on a coffee, and find some new soap or aftershave to try once a month. This is something I actually need to try :001_smile...

+1

I really enjoy music while shaving, too. But what really makes my shave is special is time. Not just time enough to not stress, but I really enjoy the weekend shaves, when I know that I have so much time afterwards that I can shave forever. Somehow that notion makes the experience more enjoyable.

Quiet peaceful enjoyment of the manly art of shaving. Time to reflect on the beginning or end of a day, in solitude and reflection.

More counter space around my sink is all I'd like, I only have 2 razors, 1 brush and a couple tubs of Proraso but I have to keep my razors and soap under the sink and hang my brush in my room. It'd be convenient if I could have it all out on the counter ready to go, and it'd make for quicker cleanup.

My own bathroom would be sweet, but highly unlikely. So I would say time, I can't really complain right now, as my bathroom is away from the master bedroom, and the wife an baby are a sleep that early (usually), but I can definitely see the benefit of having a full 60 mins for my morning ablutions.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think shaving as a multi millionaire would set the bar pretty high for me in making it a more enjoyable experience.

having a second bathroom for me... I am planning on putting one up in our basement... more room on the sink. time alone with warm water, smell of shaving cream/AS, a sharp blade and silence.

I've got a sweet set-up. A really big counter-top, half-filled with shaving stuff. I have settled quite happily with one razor, one brush, one bowl, one mug. My favorite blades are in the medicine cabinet, 20 creams and croaps and soaps out of the countertop, 12 AS and balms lined up behind the sink. So what will make my shaves better is more experience and new and even better "software."

To me, it's the little things. If I want to change things up or make it just a little bit better, I will do a hot towel treatment before shaving and/or do my cold rinse with an ice cube or two.

Top Bottom