What's new

How to clean a schick injector?

I have a G8 injector coming my way from an auction. It looks like it has some green build up on it in the pictures, but I got it cheap. What would you use to clean it? Scrubbing bubbles? I dont want to remove the gold looking plating.

This will be my first injector, is the G8 Beginner friendly?

Scrubbing bubbles seems to be widely used.
I used Oxiclean on mine, and it worked beautifully.
Gold is pretty hard stuff to damage chemically. Nitric Acid is commonly used to dissolve gold, so I wouldn't go that far.
I'd stay away from abrasives too. Old toothbrushes work good. I wound up only needing to use Oxiclean and toilet paper. I'm careful with it though. I dunked it for a couple minutes, rinsed, wiped, inspected and repeated. I used a strong solution though.

Dish soap in hot water , toothbrush , and elbow grease are all that you need . A good soaking in hot soapy water overnight won't hurt either .

Please could anyone post some before and after photos? I would be very interested in how they scrub up?

If it has green oxidation on it that means that the plating is gone . Also I have heard that scrubbing bubbles don't play nice with bakelite handles .

My handle is plastic, so I went with scrubbing bubbles. It worked well.

Just shaved with it. wow!

thanks for the advice everyone!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
My Scrubbing Bubbles cautions against using on brass. If you have any plate loss, check the label before you use it. Green means brass is exposed.

These razors are brass. Simichrome Polish is the bomb on brass. Just finished bring one to shave ready. Hard to polish because of all the weird surfaces, but they shine up nice.

This will be my first injector, is the G8 Beginner friendly?
All the mass-production Injectors from Es onward are very beginner friendly. The Gs are reportedly in the middle of the pack for their relative "aggressiveness". I have a G8 and some other G as well, one of the ones with multi-colored ivory & rust colored handles (I'm sure I ID'd it once, just forgot). IMO, there is almost no difference between Gs, Is, and Js, but newer than those, they get so non-aggressive that they don't seem good enough at shaving.

Top Bottom