What's new

How shiny can you get your SS?

I tried polishing my flare tip today with some maas and it didn't seem to do much. It looks cleaner but it's nowhere near as shiny as my Merkur HD. Is this just the nature of the metal used or am doing something wrong?

I tried polishing my flare tip today with some maas and it didn't seem to do much. It looks cleaner but it's nowhere near as shiny as my Merkur HD. Is this just the nature of the metal used or am doing something wrong?

MAAS alone won't work. You need to add another substance. It's called elbow grease. :wink: The nickel is very durable and can take a very energetic workout. Just try a little harder. You should be getting a black residue when polishing. If not, you may need more MAAS or more muscle or both. :cool:

MAAS alone won't work. You need to add another substance. It's called elbow grease. :wink: The nickel is very durable and can take a very energetic workout. Just try a little harder. You should be getting a black residue when polishing. If not, you may need more MAAS or more muscle or both. :cool:

I looked in Ace True Value, Home Cheapo and Lowe's, I can't find it anywhere, could you ship me a mason jar full please Guido......:wink:

I have used a Dremel tool with a cotton buffing bit along with a Maas alternate product...never ending black residue, no greater shine than with a rag and elbow grease.

You want to find a good polish. I use Simichrome. Just a little dab 'l do ya. Awesome stuff and will make it shine like crazy.

~Jeff

I have used a Dremel tool with a cotton buffing bit along with a Maas alternate product...never ending black residue, no greater shine than with a rag and elbow grease.

See, Ray? Brodirt knows where to find it. Maybe them there stores up there in Coneddycut don't know nothin' 'bout no elbow grease. :tongue:

with super speeds and adjustable's, use a brass brush first, then MAAS- you can't hurt the finish this way, but man does it make them shine!

I wasn't able to get my SS very shiny either. It wasn't exactly in the best shape when I got it, I tired just about everything and nothing really worked. It gets dirty after each shave anyway so I just decided to enjoy the shave rather than worrying about what the razor looks like...

H

Hanzo

Scrubbing bubbles. Maas . Dremel. Can't beat the Maas and Dremel in shining up old razors or ala Lynn Abrams video straight razors as well. I think some of the old ebay Gillettes that turn up in the BST as " mint condition" get this treatment .

ok guys i got my 40s super speed in and i started to get a black residue. should i apply more maas to that black spot and keep scrubbing really hard?

ok guys i got my 40s super speed in and i started to get a black residue. should i apply more maas to that black spot and keep scrubbing really hard?

I put some MAAS either on a towel or directly on the razor and then rub the razor with the towel. The towel gets black residue, but not the razor. After I have wiped the razor for a bit, I wipe the remaining MAAS residue off of the razor and it is usually shiny at that point. It takes very little MAAS.

Top Bottom