Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Enough for my lifetime.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I have so much I have no idea how much I have

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Another "non-conformist" post, but I'm sure you're all very used to that from me now... :biggrin1:

Yesterday, I found myself itching for a new thing. Of course, I don't actually need anything, but I'm sure you all know the itch I'm talking about. :lol1: For me, that resulted in me wanting to want something, but unable to settle on something to pretend that I need... :letterk1:

Tobacco? Nah. I bought a tin of something new in December, to open in the New Year, but that's still sealed, waiting for a jar to come free. I don't want to buy something else that won't get used for ages.

Pipe? Nah. I calculated that my stash only gives me about 100 smokes each in the pipes I already have, so I wouldn't get my money's worth from another pipe.

Upgrade a pipe instead? Nah. None of my pipes are screaming out to be evicted and replaced. Even the cheapo pearwood pipes that still get enjoyed.

Lighter? Got a drawer full. Tamp? I'd still just use the Czech tool. New pen? Ink? Book? Hat? Knitting stuff? Kitchen stuff? Shaving? All stocked to excess.

So I went and got fish and chips from the local chippy. That cured it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it returns later in the week, I might get myself a bottle of gin. :001_tongu

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Update: Sold 3 bags of Penzance for $300/each. I paid around $35 for them in 2016. Almost 1000% profit. :eek2:

Wow! At today's exchange rate, that's £1.09 per gram in UK beer vouchers. In comparison, I pay £0.32 to £0.37 per gram for most blends available here.

Still probably cheaper than smoking cigars though.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Its interesting, as a few sites I frequent have understood "BOTL pricing" Its rather comforting to know that some deals can be had for those of us that smoke our tobaccos, and money can be also made when times are a bit tough.

I woould never buy a bag of penzance for $300, but if I needed the money, i would definitely sell for that.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I dug the shoebox archives out recently, to give them a bit of a health check, and take pics (shared in a different thread). I didn't do an in depth count up of every single Mylar bag, but I think (in round numbers) I currently have about 4kg of tobaccos stashed, that I am confident I will really enjoy, plus another kilo of "emergency rations".

The emergency rations are a mixture of ones I probably shouldn't have bought (Royal Yacht and blends with Latakia), and potentially bland mixers. The hope is that after a mixture of ageing and dilution, I will like them all a lot more than I would if I smoked them now. If not, it'll probably still be better than nothing, if I've run out of everything else. :lol: Of course some of that aged stuff might age wonderfully, and make the wait very worthwhile. :)

At the current burn rate (roughly 8g/week, or 6 weeks per 50g), that's about 10 years of damn good stuff, plus an extra 2.1/2 years of "better than nowt". I think that means I have pretty much managed to "tread water" (or kept it at around the same level) over the last 12 to 18 months. I find it more useful to think in years than kilos/pounds.

I have also (surprisingly) managed to stick to my price ceiling, and only buy stuff that came in under £20/50g (US equiv about $14.5/oz). While a lot of 50g tins are now £22 and above (some blends have even gone over £25 at some vendors) I have had reasonable success in sniffing out a bit of old stock that hadn't hit that threshold yet. In fact I currently have a bit of loose stuff on the way that I nabbed for £15.30/50g. Gawith loose tobacco are typically mere pennies under my price ceiling at a few places now, but are already over the threshold at most places.

Let's see:
Tin of Golden Extra, unopened
Early Morning Pipe
My Mixture 965
Stirling Flake
Capstan Blue RR
Edward G. Robinson
Pouches of St. Bruno (almost gone), Amphora Full Aroma, Sir Walter Regular, Sir Walter Aromatic (almost gone), Half & Half, Match Prince Albert, Match Field & Stream
An aromatic blend whose name I've forgotten from a local pipe/cigar shop, mixed with Queen Anne's Revenge aromatic from another shop
A pouch of white burley for blending
A can of Granger, unopened

Think I have enough for a while.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My current stash has me right at 152 pounds.
This may seem like a lot

It sounds gargantuan... but only because I have such a low consumption rate. The more you consume per week, the smaller that number will look.

but it takes into account gifts to others, and is insurance against rising costs, increasing sin taxes, planned government interference,

... I'm pretty sure those last three are all the same thing :p ... not that I can (or would want to) argue with any of them. We're a very long way ahead of you on the taxation front, and it stinks. That said, I can still get an hour long contemplative smoke for less than half the price of a cup of sludge from Starbucks. Less than a third of the price, if it's one of the cups of sludge that I'm not sure how to pronounce... :lol1:

and debilitating labeling

Yup. We've got that too. Except it's not in the least bit debilitating. What Mylar pouches don't solve, self adhesive address labels do :lol:

Since I last posted in this thread a year ago in October, despite landing in TAD purgatory, I’ve somehow managed to increase the cellar to a bit over 100 pounds, even while smoking an average of two bowls per day. I suppose I’m lucky I wasn’t actively buying tobacco!
Not much has changed since my last check-in, in December of '22, as far as cellar weight goes. I remain just a bit over 100 pounds in jars, tins, and bags despite smoking at least two bowls each day. I'm not sure how that happens. Well, that's not precisely true. I suspect the good tobacco fairy keeps topping up my supply.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not much has changed since my last check-in, in December of '22, as far as cellar weight goes. I remain just a bit over 100 pounds in jars, tins, and bags despite smoking at least two bowls each day. I'm not sure how that happens. Well, that's not precisely true. I suspect the good tobacco fairy keeps topping up my supply.

I think the tobacco fairy visited you with reinforcements for your vaper homebrew, if I remember correctly.

I think the tobacco fairy visited you with reinforcements for your vaper homebrew, if I remember correctly.
A'hhh, I think you are correct, that would account for some of it. Then there was that 5 pound box of various bagged blends that a fellow was selling over on another forum, a bargain that was too good to pass up.:c1:

I probably have about 15 tins of various leaf anywhere from 1990 a couple of years ago. I haven't smoked a pipe in months. Waiting for the day that I pick it up again to start cracking those tins. But, honestly, I'm a little afraid to open some of these for fear that they will be extremely good or horrible.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My cellar of approx 60 + lbs was mainly driven by FOMO due to pending legislation and just trying as many types of tobacco as I could when first starting out before I knew exactly what I liked. Cellaring for aging was of secondary importance to me at the time. I'm glad I have what I have, but could do just fine if I had less of it, I'll probably never smoke it all.

Let's see:
Tin of Golden Extra, unopened
Early Morning Pipe
My Mixture 965
Stirling Flake
Capstan Blue RR
Edward G. Robinson
Pouches of St. Bruno (almost gone), Amphora Full Aroma, Sir Walter Regular, Sir Walter Aromatic (almost gone), Half & Half, Match Prince Albert, Match Field & Stream
An aromatic blend whose name I've forgotten from a local pipe/cigar shop, mixed with Queen Anne's Revenge aromatic from another shop
A pouch of white burley for blending
A can of Granger, unopened

Think I have enough for a while.
And now add two tins of Mac Baren Burley London Blend. Plus a half-empty tin of Sherlock Holmes, an ounce or so of Edgeworth Match, some Carter Hall Match, and one of Walnut Match.

two tins of Mac Baren Burley London Blend.
I’ve always wanted to try that one but I’m never at the right place and right time when it’s available.

one of Walnut Match.

Tried that one yesterday for the first time. Reminded me of 4noggins painter hills (revelation match).

Wonderful blend and taste. But I got a little tongue bite near the end of the bowl.

Painter hills gives me the same reaction. It’s not an extreme tongue bite, but it’s there.

Must be something of a chemical reaction as the smoke was slow and cool.

I still smoke it though.

Top Bottom