What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

I'd love to be a part of this run as I would hate to ruin my streak of stick passes. I guess 43 in the little Palomino.

Gogo, you are on the list. We have room for three more US residents on the list and at least one each from Canada and Mexico. Of course we currently have enough people on the list for 40 shaves (seven US and one Canadian participant at five shaves each). My guess of 60 still stands and that is what I am basing my participant list on.

Here is the list of guesses:

bbarton: 45
mharris127: 60
Pozzska: 50
bobtrumpet: 48
Darjeeling: 65
Bacchus: 37
Gogo: 43

Last edited:
Is this a shave stick pass around?

Regarding the title of this thread, I honestly don't know. I've been using my Arko shave stick daily since probably mid-February and it's still holding strong, probably 60% or more. I use shave sticks exclusively now and don't bother with creams or soaps anymore.

I am told that the NY address is merely a drop. DE was last sighted in the middle east, in the company of Monsieur A. and a mysterious woman known as Rachel.

Unless DE has some mad skills (I refuse to spell it with a Z) of which we are not aware, I fear for his safety.

Be safe, Darjeeling - and sleep with one eye open!

Regarding the title of this thread, I honestly don't know. I've been using my Arko shave stick daily since probably mid-February and it's still holding strong, probably 60% or more. I use shave sticks exclusively now and don't bother with creams or soaps anymore.

Yes, this is a shave stick pass around. If you want to participate and live in the US, Canada or Mexico please respond to this thread in the affirmative.

The stick has been sent to bbarton and should arrive in his mailbox anytime. The stick pass-around has officially started. Thank you to all who are participating.

There are still three participant slots for US residents and we still would like someone from Mexico to participate. If there is another Canadian that wants to participate we can accept a person from there yet as well.

The stick has been sent to bbarton and should arrive in his mailbox anytime. The stick pass-around has officially started. Thank you to all who are participating.

There are still three participant slots for US residents and we still would like someone from Mexico to participate. If there is another Canadian that wants to participate we can accept a person from there yet as well.

I can't wait to meet the character for this pass!

I heard him before I saw him..."Oi!!" and "Blimey" were tossed about along with something about the "bleedin' duct tape" and "bloody hell it was the size of a pill bottle!" and then I laid my eyes on Mr. Scheerstick. He's rather short but not stout and I don't know if it was the traveling that left him such a shade of green. After what appeared to be a difficult trip he certainly smelled well turned out and put together.

He retired to my den but ventured that a pint or two wouldn't be looked at unkindly if I could be troubled after he rested for a bit.

It should be an interesting next few days. What did we agree on, 5 uses?

Yes, bbarton I did fasten the package contents to the bottom of the box with duct tape. The soap shouldn't be affected as I placed it into an appropriately sized pill bottle and that is what the duct tape touched. Unfortunately there isn't an appropriate sized Priority Mail box for this type of package.

Enjoy the shaves. Yes, we did agree on five shaves each.

Also, P. Palmolive/Mr. Scheerstick was unfortunately detained by the San Francisco Sheriff's Office for a couple of days and that is why he was late, something about propositioning a lady of the night a week ago. All charges are dropped but he may need some penicillin.:lol:

Last edited:
Yes, bbarton I did fasten the package contents to the bottom of the box with duct tape. The soap shouldn't be affected as I placed it into an appropriately sized pill bottle and that is what the duct tape touched. Unfortunately there isn't an appropriate sized Priority Mail box for this type of package.

Enjoy the shaves. Yes, we did agree on five shaves each.

Oh, I understand the travel arrangements, it was Mr. Scheersrick that was venting his spleen.

First shave was very good. I applied an even amount and got gobs of lather with my AS2M brush. The picture shows my Simpson AS2M, Le Grelot straight, Captain's Choice Bay Rum ASL, and Mr. Scheerstick. Shave 1 was a great success.

Attachments

• $SOTD 06:09:2012.jpg
    $SOTD 06:09:2012.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 132

On occasion I've read pages of this thread and had no idea what it was about. I think I've finally figured it out.

Also, P. Palmolive/Mr. Scheerstick was unfortunately detained by the San Francisco Sheriff's Office for a couple of days and that is why he was late, something about propositioning a lady of the night a week ago. All charges are dropped but he may need some penicillin.:lol:

That would explain the green...

Gents, I thought I would post a penultimate update on Cherry. The count was 43 this morning, and I estimated there would be about one more shave before I would be scraping plastic. I thought about calling it a day after another shave or two, leaving the count at 44-45. But I wanted to do something more for Cherry.

So I finagled Cherry out of his boots and into an old film canister, rigged up a tiny low-heat double-boiler, and gave him a sauna treatment. Then he went into the freezer, so that he would let go of the sides of the film canister. That probably sounds like a fair amount of work for maybe a couple more shaves, but I was curious how much more soap there was in the plastic riser of the twist-up package. It turns out that the riser by itself weighs 6-g, or just a shade over, and the whole twist-up package without the cap weighs 33-g. The new Cherry is a 28-mm micro-puck, almost exactly 7-g of soap. I have been using about 1.5-g per shave, and that is roughly the average for the pass. So I estimate four or five more shaves and a final final count of 47-48.

Now mini-Cherry is in a D.R. Harris container, with a chunk of Lea stick underneath him for moral and physical support. When the color fades from red to pinkish to white, he will be gone.... His scent may linger for a spell.

Gents, I thought I would post a penultimate update on Cherry . . . Now mini-Cherry is in a D.R. Harris container, with a chunk of Lea stick underneath him for moral and physical support. When the color fades from red to pinkish to white, he will be gone.... His scent may linger for a spell.

Wow, he is a tenacious fellow, isn't he? I knew he was strong willed, but I had no idea he could hang on so long.

I'll miss him when he's gone.

Mr. Scheersrick enjoys a long shot of espresso each morning and adds a dash of rose water to it. He's had a couple of pints but hasn't entered booze hound territory.

Now mini-Cherry is in a D.R. Harris container, with a chunk of Lea stick underneath him for moral and physical support. When the color fades from red to pinkish to white, he will be gone.... His scent may linger for a spell.

The scent does linger! Great update and you certainly have given him a little more time before he fades away.

Top Bottom