What's new

how many shaves before you try your head?

Straight shavers, I have a dilemma.

I am a total convert to the way of the naked edge. However, I shave the totality of my head, from the neck up. Only three shaves into my straight edge shaving adventure, I don't dare try the geometries of the back of my head. I use my safety razor for that.

Do any of you shave your heads with a straight blade? How good did your shaving skill get before you tried that? What landmark or measuring stick should I use to point myself to as the goalpost of "you can start shaving your head when you can accomplish X"?

Or should I abandon as a bad idea the thought of shaving the rest of my head with a naked blade?

OK - so in retrospect, to be perfectly clear, I don't shave my ears, eyebrows, or eyelashes.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I am about 25 SR shaves in on my face, and I switch to DE for my head. I wonder the same thing, but I suspect that it will be more than 100 before I consider using a straight on my head. I doubt there is anything magical about the number 100, it is just that you will probably know when you are comfortable and ready. I know I am a long way off as I'm still finding my face to be an adequate challenge!

It took me 57 years until I tried a straight on my face. I'd think it would be easily as long before I would even remotely consider a straight on my head.

Check back with me in half a century or so ...

I've had thoughts in this direction. About half the time, I'm starting on my sideburns half blind anyhow - and the DE razor has shown me that the hair around the back and top of my head is so much finer, and so much less finiky about technique, that I've been tempted... Just not quite ready yet.

I think when I can comfortably rely on a DFS on the face and neck after 2-3 passes, with no nicks or weepers to speak of, and minimal to no feedback with the alum, then I'll be about ready to move to the back of my head. That milestone should be a ways off just yet.

I don't shave my head, so any advice I might give is pure conjecture.

Some things to think about: When you shave your face are you using short stokes or long stokes? If long, are you consistently removing an even amount of hair throughout the stroke. Rather than count a number of shaves I would think about when you can comfortably move the razor at the right angle and lightness of touch across your face producing an even shave. This might be a safe point to move to your head.

I have noticed that when I shave my chin I move my head not my hand. This allows a longer flowing stroke because I can focus on maintaining and adjusting blade angle with my hand, without having to move the blade. I can't say for sure but this might be a useful technique for your head.

Of course someone with actual experienced can probably give you better advice...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Those are some interesting thoughts. I have tried a similar method for ATG on my upper lip with some success, especially going straight S to N right in the center beneath my nose. Holding the razor steady with my offhand steadying the tip, and curling my lip down slowly and steadily allows me to shave that spot super close without the razor trying to bite in.

So fluidity and consistency. Definitely something to pay attention to.

Well not entirely my head...
But I do shave my neck hair regularly with the straight I have used on my face.
Totally by feel and so far without incident, soap it up, keep the blade flat and do it by feel!

Gave it a try today. The geography around and behind my ears is going to take some learning, but for the most part it was easier than learning on my face. Slow going though.

Like learning on your face take it in steps. Start with the side of your head first, then add the top. Once you are comfortable you can take a crack at the back of your head. I shave my head like I would comb my hair (when I had some) start in the front and go to the back. It is actually easier than your face except the parts you are shaving blind. I only do one pass with my straight. No ATG on the back of my head. When I shave my head with a DE razor I only do one ATG pass which gets me super smooth and allows me to shave my head every 48hrs. In general, I can’t get as close of a shave on the back of my head with a straight yet — I think mostly because I don’t go ATG.

I’ve done it a few times now. Will very likely keep my de89 for head detail.

You’re right in that it is easier overall than face shaving, and also that once you go ATG you get a super close shave all over. It just takes so damn long, adds like twenty minutes longer than shaving my head with a safety razor.

After about 30 SR shaves i began shaving my head, really just because i am lazy and didn't want to have to use two different razors and all the cleaning and so on afterwards.
What i have found is that it's easy to cut the back of your head using too much pressure and that it's a great idea to fold your ears flat to your head when you get near them!

These days, i shave above my ears upwards - rather like a reversal of how i shave my top lip - and seldom have mishaps. When i am in a hurry i'll shave my head with a shavette and i like the lightness and lack of maintenance, but they do take a bit of getting used to.

T

2 and a quarter shaves. First shave on my face I butchered and literally only did a quarter of my face. Last Sunday I shaved my entire face, after learning I was holding the SR too straight (up and down). Tonight I decided to use the SR on my head. I absolutely enjoyed it. Only 4 nicks. Super happy. Take your time and think about your form. Keep in mind the skin on your head is more taught than on your face. Based on that, it should be easier to shave your head.

Top Bottom