What's new

How many passes

Using a 38C with feather blades. I have thick strong hair so assumed feather blades would be the best. I have Soem generic Israeli blades, but these dont cut as close

What blades do yo use?

Try the Iridiums. They seem 80% as sharp as a Feather with 1/2 the potential for irritation. By the second shave, they both seem to be the same sharpness to me. By the third shave, the Feathers are done for. I can get 4 from an Iridium if I care to and I'm not looking for a BBS.

I guess I'm lucky to have a relativly fine grained beard :) 1 pass WTG + a little touch up XTG under the chin gives me a DFS that lasts much longer than my similar M3 shaves used to.
When I want to be completely BBS, 1 pass WTG and 1 pass diagonally XTG does the job.

Using a 38C with feather blades. I have thick strong hair so assumed feather blades would be the best. I have Some generic Israeli blades, but these don't cut as close

What blades do yo use?

Derby blades for me, also enjoy Astra and Feathers. Have a 38C that I have used from time to time. Sounds like your beard must be more challenging maybe. Do you shave after a shower etc, etc?

With my DE or cartridge razors, I usually do two passes (WTG and ATG) and then touch up the troublesome spots. If my lather is good and I have time, I'll do three passes (WTG, XTG, and ATG) plus cleanup.

Two passes plus cleanup is the limit with my injector or SE razors. In all fairness to these razors, two passes is all they require; if I pay attention to what I'm doing, I could probably get away using a single pass plus cleanup.

I really wish some company would make a quality injector razor again. It certainly provides an easier transition to wetshaving than the DE razor, or at least it did for me.

WTG, XTG, ATG = BBS with and HD

XTG, ATG = BBS with a Gillette NEW

I save the NEW for when I haven't shaved in a while... It took six weeks of growth off without trimming.

The NEW seems to work best with, and I'm sure people with disagree, Merkur blades, then Derby

Every other razor I have I like the Astra's

The NEW will make me sore, but really not razor burnt, if i blade buff too much.

I think the blade/razor you are using may be some of the issues.

For me, the NEW is the best, and I use a less agressive blade just to keep the soreness away, otherwise i couldnt shave everyday

I used to thing i wasn't using sharp enough of a blade and that is why i was getting sore or not BBS, but it was the other way around.

Hell, walmart personnas work in the NEW, but only for 2-3 shaves. So that could also be an issue... how long as the blade been in.

And I have also found blades that suck the first shave and are awesome for shaves 2-5...

Red personna's never seem to work for me. I dont think they are sharp enough.

Remember, sometimes smooth blades are better than sharp. And that smoothness and sharpness are all together different. you can have sharp and smooth

I like astras and super irradiums because they are both smooth and sharp, then derby's because they are to me super smooth, but not as sharp.

Red personnas seem super smooth but aren't near as sharp... At least not to me.

Derby blades for me, also enjoy Astra and Feathers. Have a 38C that I have used from time to time. Sounds like your beard must be more challenging maybe. Do you shave after a shower etc, etc?

Tried some Derby blades, and these were worse than the feathers. Man was my face sore

I sometimes do shower before I shave and not other times. Times I dont, I use a face wash...etc so hairs are quite soft

With my 39C slant and a good blade I am able to clear 1 or 2 days growth with 2 passes (WTG, ATG) and achieve a DFS. If my beard is older then 3 passes are required.

I'm still new to DE shaving. Have shaved with it about 6 times so far.

If i leave my stubble for 2 days, i find i need at least 3 passes.

If i leave my stubble for 4 days like i did today even after 5 passes there were patches left (used a new blade too)...ended up cleaning up with my fusion

How many passes do mos people find they need?

Two, plus a clean up. WTG, ATG and then just minor touch ups

With Futur and a sharp blade - 2 passes (WTG, XTG, occasionally a touch-up)
With Muhle R 89, Gillette Red Tip - 3 passes (WTG, XTG, XTG,occasionally a touch-up)

Given derby blades 2 weeks, and deffo not as close as the feather.

I'm really finding it hard to get a good shave...shouldn't need to go over my face with a fusion to get a close shave after using the DE

Top Bottom