What's new

How many passes

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
3 passes for a DFS, sometimes BBS

4 passes if I want a guaranteed BBS

1 pass WTG, 1 pass ATG & cleanup .
DFS every time. Best shaves are after 2-3 days growth. Extra effort for BBS, is rarely worth the extra time or possible irritation IMO.

I usually do two passes but go through phases where I do the one pass redux shave. Either way gives me a good comfortable clean looking shave. The two passer just lasts a little longer.

I don't go for BBS. For some reason I just don't feel right when my face is as smooth as my fiancee's face.

That's a relief I was thinking "*** DE shaving is lame for my hair type".

If all the creams, soaps..etc didn't smell so cool and the manlyness feeling of shaving wasn't there i'd be tempted to go back to the cartridge fusion. With that I can get a BBS with 2/3 passes. And it's smoother/closer that 5 from the DE...Ah well. still a newbie so i'm sure as time goes on i'll perfect my technique

Right been using DE for a while now...and although my technique has improved, i'm not overly impressed with DE shaving. Yes it works out cheaper and makes you feel better (because of all the oils..etc). But even with a feather blade I can go over 4 times and yet still not be a smooth as a 2 pass fusion shave.

Other day I must have gone over 5 times and my face was sore!!

Is it just me or do others get a sore face on the 2nd pass? With a standard fusion/mach 3 i could go over time and time again without the soreness ??

I've also found some blades give much better results than others...even though they come from the same pack

Funny, I just recently started going with 2 passes + touchup after many years of 4+ passes to achieve BBS. Although I'm not prone to irrrritation as a rule, I found I can avoid "hot spots" if I settle for a 2-pass DFS and leave the BBS shaves for those days when I can really take my time.

Another big factor for me is razor choice. When I focus on technique and prep, I can get near-BBS with my NEW Deluxe or NEW heads and 2 passes. A milder razor (and so far, my straights) requires at least three passes + touchup to achieve the same.

Last edited:
Funny, I just recently started going with 2 passes + touchup after many years of 4+ passes to achieve BBS.

The same overhere; I do the 3+ pass shaves just occasionally nowadays.

A couple of days growth actually make it easier to get a 2 pass DFS.

I do 4 passes in all for a BBS
2 WTG
1 XTG
and 1 ATG, plus some touch ups (like under my chin)

I have tough beard so a while ago I started doing 2 WTG (I thought it was not necessary), but it proved to work better that way.

My practice as well:thumbup:

I've gone from 7 or 8 passes,to 2 + touch ups,since I got involved with this and other forums. It all comes together with time.:thumbup::001_cool::wink2:

When are the ATF, the FBI, the CIA and the BBC going to show up?:blink:

I didn't understand a word of this thread.

With a DE razor, 2 or 3 complete passes with spot touch-ups, depending on the exact razor/blade combo, and how things are going that day.

With an injector or SE razor, 1-2 complete passes with spot touch-ups.

Right been using DE for a while now...and although my technique has improved, i'm not overly impressed with DE shaving. Yes it works out cheaper and makes you feel better (because of all the oils..etc). But even with a feather blade I can go over 4 times and yet still not be a smooth as a 2 pass fusion shave.

Other day I must have gone over 5 times and my face was sore!!

Is it just me or do others get a sore face on the 2nd pass? With a standard fusion/mach 3 i could go over time and time again without the soreness ??

I've also found some blades give much better results than others...even though they come from the same pack

May I ask what razor you are using?

As odd as this may sound, I seem to get better shaves with milder razors. The best shaves, I hardly if ever feel the blade on my skin...seems like now I can do in 2 passes what used to take 3 or 4.

Don't give up...enjoy the journey.

Two and a little touch up for an irritation free DFS.

I have read about guys doing up to ten passes, but that is just crazy. Shaving is fun, but....

3 passes and then some blade brushing in odd spots. Aside from the blade brushing I do long smooth strokes rather than the short strokes that seem to be the general practice.

What he said............

First N-S, second S-N, third E-W/W-E, then some touch up. My grain is mixed up, so compass points are easier :thumbup1:

Muhle R89 and Iridiums or Feathers. The Feathers seem to burn a bit more afterwards, but a DFS for sure, and a bit of witch hazel calms the beast.......................

For me, other razors, which include an Ever-Ready, 57 SS, 53 SS, a Merkur 180/23C and a 21-29 Old type, take more work.

So the questions has to be posed along with "what kit are you using?" IMO. Also nice to see what it takes for other folks to get a good shave.

Rich

Rich

May I ask what razor you are using?

As odd as this may sound, I seem to get better shaves with milder razors. The best shaves, I hardly if ever feel the blade on my skin...seems like now I can do in 2 passes what used to take 3 or 4.

Don't give up...enjoy the journey.

Using a 38C with feather blades. I have thick strong hair so assumed feather blades would be the best. I have Soem generic Israeli blades, but these dont cut as close

What blades do yo use?

DE89L w/Iridiums; 2 (WTG, ATG) + touch up = DFS; 3 (WTG,WTG,ATG) + touch up = BBS w/no irritation.

Vintage Merkur Slant w/IP's; 2 (WTG, ATG) + touch up = BBS but always w/some irritation. Probably should try other blades or add XTG but I only just started using a slant.

I never shave more often than 3 days apart. Occasionally 4-5 days but it doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference, especially with the slant.

Top Bottom