What's new

How long should a straight shave take?

First pass 35 seconds
Second pass 15 seconds
Ambulance ride 15 mins
Stitches 25 mins....

I guess that means you'll be giving up those W&B clones then? What a shame... Send them back to England where they belong, I'm not far from Sheffield ;)

just for funzies i made a video of my "i'm in a hurry i gotta get this done" shave.... this resulted in a DFS....

i used MWF with a KENT vs30 brush and one of my W&B clones that yetidave mentioned.... *(it at least has good music playing in the video).....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ya...
You missed a big spot on your chin :wink:

But seriously... that's about the amount of time I would spend if I still had the goatee.
But wow... I can't shave my entire face with one hand. Your "jockeying for position" as you move to the weak-hand-side on that first pass shows how I feel when I try it.
Right hand, right side WTG, left side ATG.
Left hand, left side WTG, right side ATG.

Well ya...
You missed a big spot on your chin :wink:

But seriously... that's about the amount of time I would spend if I still had the goatee.
But wow... I can't shave my entire face with one hand. Your "jockeying for position" as you move to the weak-hand-side on that first pass shows how I feel when I try it.
Right hand, right side WTG, left side ATG.
Left hand, left side WTG, right side ATG.
the jockeying comes from the fact that is a MONSTER razor... lol....

if i tried the 2 hand method that would have been a blood bath....

and i am uber ugly without the goatee... *(not much better with it... but better)

I'm finding that it's taking me a similar amount of time as it took me with a DE. Not because I am shaving as fast, but because of the wider blade, shaves more area at the same time than a DE does.

Overall, my technique is slower than my DE, but I think this may improve with time.

If I had a moustache and a goatee, I could get a straight 2 pass shave in under a minute. It's the difficult areas around the mouth and nose that take the time. But if time were the major issue, than no one would shave with a straight because a MachIII will shave a person 5 to 10 times as fast as a straight. MachIII - 1 to 2 minutes. Straight - 10 to 20 minutes. So I don't shave with a straight all the time, but if I want a really close shave or want to enjoy myself rather than just getting a chore over with, I use a straight. No feeling quite like it.

I hear you.

:straight:
The SR is not for speed in the hands of most men. However, I do know of one exception. :a47:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrWkb0N1ZL4

You can see his entire shave on his channel link which includes the usual beard prep of ~5mins. Even with the prep this is the fastest SR shave that I have ever seen - well beyond my skill level.

My fastest shave is still with my DE - typically less than 7 mins. for two passes from prep to balm, not including the shower.

My typically SR is for comfort and pleasure. I never use it if I am in a rush, that just seems to stress me out.

My best multi-pass SR ranges from 15-25 mins. depending on how much pampering I elect to enjoy.

Enjoy, and if you are in a rush then use a DE or cheap disposable.

Doesn't count. He had a pit crew.

Seriously though, that's one heck of a shave. I'm wondering how he doesn't have some serious razor burn from all those touch ups without lathering up again.

Well my technique must be improving over the last couple months. I am able to do a good 3 pass shave in about 15 - 20 minutes now. When I started the thread it took at least 30. I've also been pleasantly surprised to find that a 2 pass straight shave now gives me almost the same closeness of shave that I can get from 3 passes with a DE. That means if I'm pressed for time I can do 2 passes with the straight and still get a really good shave. I'm starting to believe that some day soon I'll only want my DE for a travel razor.

Top Bottom