What's new

How can anyone go against the grain?

That is a strange question.

You imply that the ONLY reason for shaving with a straight razor is to get a BBS shave.

If I wanted a BBS shave I would whip a Gillette Fusion round my face.

Shaving is just another step in my morning ablutions which happens to be made more interesting by the wide variety of tools at my disposal.

BBS doesn't even enter my head.

We used to have a push lawnmower. When he was little, my nephew Stevie used to like to push it. The only thing was, he liked to push it on the sidewalk, because it was easier. Yes, he was having fun ... but he was also missing the point. If he had taken the trouble to learn how to push it on the grass, he might have grown up to be a useful person.

If you think that a Gilette Fusion will give you as good a shave as a straight, then you don't know how to use a straight correctly.

If you like shaving with a straight because it's different, that's fine, go ahead and enjoy yourself. But you're missing the point.

I read a lot of posts by people that say "I can't do this or that because it irritates my skin". It doesn't seem to occur to them that, if it irritates their skin, they may be doing it wrong.

Aesop wrote a fable about a fox who couldn't jump high enough to reach the grapes and finally decided that they were probably sour.

I have found that the quality of "shave ready" razors is about to most YMMV thing out there so far. I have gotten two shave ready razors from Vintage Blades, one from a member of B&B and one from someone else. All of them felt like they were ripping the individual hairs out by the root until I spent time refining their edges. I have considered sending some to Leighton or Ambrose as I feel they have sterling reputations here, but I wanted to learn to fend for my self. I have also found that a very shallow angle combined with a sweeping arc motion gives me a much cleaner pass with less need to go back over the same area. Lastly, I use a really thick, moist, cushioning lather for straight shaving. For me, it doesn't have to be perfect for a DE or SE or even a shavette, but for straight shaving, it does. I do so love the sound of ATG coming up the neck and chin, though. Shrrrrrckkkk! If it turns out that you can't go ATG without messing up your mug or feeling like your using an Epilady, don't feel bad. I still can't use my left hand worth a hoot, but I am enjoying it just the same. Relax and enjoy what works for you.

If you think that a Gilette Fusion will give you as good a shave as a straight, then you don't know how to use a straight correctly.

If you like shaving with a straight because it's different, that's fine, go ahead and enjoy yourself. But you're missing the point.

I think you have mis-read or misinterpreted my post.

I just shave, simple as that, and 'good enough' is just fine for me.

To say I can't use a razor because I don't get BBS shaves is a bit silly when I'm not even aiming for BBS - some people don't bother with all that malarkey, you know?

Horse for courses.

I just shave, simple as that, and 'good enough' is just fine for me.

It's your time, money and face and if you're happy, I'm happy. But your attitude makes no sense to me. If it weren't for the superior shave and the pleasure it gives me, I would never have put up with the hassle and expense of straight razors.

Back on-topic:

For a long while I had been going direct from WTG to ATG. No real issues, but a bit more irritation than I'd like.

As of late I've been more patient, and added the traditional XTG pass as well. The XTG pass is not a very satisfying pass in and of itself. The WTG pass feels very smooth, and the ATG pass gives you the closest of shaves, but the XTG pass is sort of in no-man's land, it has no sex appeal....

However, it does help in getting you to a little-to-no irraitation ATG pass! As they say you are after whisker reduction in each pass, not whisker elimination. You can't do it all in one fell swoop. Or rather you can, but the results may not be quite satisfactory.

I found the same thing seraphim when i went back to doing a XTG pass between WTG/ATG.

Back on-topic:

For a long while I had been going direct from WTG to ATG. No real issues, but a bit more irritation than I'd like.

As of late I've been more patient, and added the traditional XTG pass as well. The XTG pass is not a very satisfying pass in and of itself. The WTG pass feels very smooth, and the ATG pass gives you the closest of shaves, but the XTG pass is sort of in no-man's land, it has no sex appeal....

However, it does help in getting you to a little-to-no irraitation ATG pass! As they say you are after whisker reduction in each pass, not whisker elimination. You can't do it all in one fell swoop. Or rather you can, but the results may not be quite satisfactory.

How can anyone not go ATG? That is where my bread is buttered. A well executed ATG pass with a straight is the apex of shavedom - smoooooth, irritation free and hella cool. Anything less is just a good shave.

Make sure to do good beard prep, and stretch the skin well when you do the ATG passes.
I shaved fully with WTG,XTG,ATG on my very first try with a Straight.
You also might be over stropping the razor, do you apply too much pressure on the strop? That can roll the edge an make shaving unpleasant.

Can you over strop? How much is too much pressure?

I shave with a straight because it is just that damned cool and manly.

The "better than cartridge" shave is just gravy.

Seriously, the key to the ATG pass is stretching the skin. It has to be taught and flat. Then it all comes together.

Top Bottom