What's new

How are recent synthetic brushes?

I will probably travel down the Wald road at some point but have traveled down the STF road and have to say I wasn't impressed by it!! I think it is more that I'm not impressed with the handle but I'm not sure the knot would open up to what I'm used to with my TNS synthetics. I've not had many problems making a very usable lather but the knot just seems to have too much backbone for me and don't see it loosening up much at all if any. To sum it up is to say it's no where near what most seem to label it as I reach for my Quartermoon, Angel Hair, and Timberwolf much more often!!
I watched some videos and read some reviews and most say it's more backbone/scratchy. I need softer. have you tried Simpson synthetic?

I watched some videos and read some reviews and most say it's more backbone/scratchy. I need softer. have you tried Simpson synthetic?
I've never tried any of the Simpson synthetics as most of the reviews I've read say the backbone is quite much compared to most brushes on the market.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
That is a strong statement without any own experience. It is definitely is not what I experience, using the STF myself for years and of the many customer I have and they are all very happy. Most say that is the best synthetic knot out there.

That is a strong statement without any own experience. It is definitely is not what I experience, using the STF myself for years and of the many customer I have and they are all very happy. Most say that is the best synthetic knot out there.
theres not best for all synthetic. I like soft floppy brushes. others like more backbone. from all I read most people praised it for having more backbone than plissofts and other synths. im not stating personal experience just from what I was able to find.

perhaps is it humanly gathered and clean?
Hell if I know. You can probably find a thread on it somewhere around here. My impression is that it is, being a renewable resource and all. You certainly don't have to hurt a horse to trim its mane. Not sure what you mean by clean though. Get some mane and tale shampoo if you think it isn't. (Yes that's a legitimate thing. Good stuff too. Used it myself decades ago. On my hair that is.) If you are referring to religious strictures, I believe they are indeed more prevalent in those countries and cultures that are concerned with such things.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
theres not best for all synthetic. I like soft floppy brushes. others like more backbone. from all I read most people praised it for having more backbone than plissofts and other synths. im not stating personal experience just from what I was able to find.
Plissoft were the first ones I used, the one from L'Occitane - these were relabeled Plissons. I used to harvest the knots for customers and re-set them in a decent handle. Used one for myself, but it was like a wet mop, extreme soft and floppy.
Tried other ones, including the first synthetic from Simpson in a Chubby 2. Not impressed. Shavemac first synthetic in the USA, also not impressed. Used a Muehle STF for a long time, many years, in my travel brush. It was a 19 mm and i made the brush myself. It was the most used brush in my stable as in traveled a lot. Now I have a 25 STF and Wald. These are the best, believe me. As Ron said above:
"Scratchy and STF shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Not in my experience"
and neither is this mine or the many customer that got a STF knotted brush from me.

I personally disliked the Muhle STF brushes, as they had more backbone than I liked (more than my badger or boar, so it required significantly more pressure to splay). I strongly prefer APShaveCo's SynBad and Cashmere knots (Cashmere is slightly softer and slightly less backbone, SynBad is closer to a standard badger brush) as they splay easily. In fact, I have a 30 mm Cashmere knot here, and a 30 mm handle arriving today--it'll be my first "homemade" brush. We;ll see how it goes with a 17 mm depth handle.

I have not used any "high-end" brushes. My experience is limited to a Maggard Timberwolf, several RR Plissofts, a Yaqi Mojito, and an APShave Muhle STF in a Shavemac beehive handle.

The STF is the best of the bunch...face-lathers great, good splay and flow through, and is the closest I've used to genuine badger. It has quickly become my favorite synthetic. The Yaqi is a close second in terms of mimicking a natural badger, and it performs very much like the STF.

The others are nice, but just nylon brushes. They work fine but you would never confuse them with badger...not even close.

The king of synthetics for the money anyway.

I have two synthetics and I’m really happy with both:
Rudy Vey STF
Simpson CH2

The Simpson had a bit of a learning curve in that it’s the only synthetic I’ve encountered that has a break in period.

Attachments

• IMG_5544.jpeg
    IMG_5544.jpeg
    930.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5557.jpeg
    IMG_5557.jpeg
    939.2 KB · Views: 2
My last acquisitions in synthetic fibers.

Boti Mother Lode 30mm, uber soft but with enough backbone not to be floppy. Zero scrub. My preferred synthetic.

Boti Mother Lode 26mm, super soft with very little backbone, bordering with being floppy. My least preferred synthetic brush.

Simpson CH3 Sovereign, very gentle when painting, needs some effort to splay and scrubby similar to a Simpson Best Badger. I would buy it again.

Maggard G5 30mm, very soft tips, needs some effort to splay but I don’t find it scrubby. Very pleased.

Simpson CH2 Synthetic (Platinum). Too hard to splay. I dismissed it after few shaves. I may give it another try based on awk_m4 experience.

Simpson T3 Sovereign. Excellent, Like the CH3. I dismissed it only because too small for my taste.

(However I use badger brushes most of the times)

Last edited:
I personally disliked the Muhle STF brushes, as they had more backbone than I liked (more than my badger or boar, so it required significantly more pressure to splay). I strongly prefer APShaveCo's SynBad and Cashmere knots (Cashmere is slightly softer and slightly less backbone, SynBad is closer to a standard badger brush) as they splay easily. In fact, I have a 30 mm Cashmere knot here, and a 30 mm handle arriving today--it'll be my first "homemade" brush. We;ll see how it goes with a 17 mm depth handle.
I've been seeing good things about cashmere and saw apshaveco has fan knots which I prefer. i dont know what loft id want on it though. looking at 26mm knot.

I've been seeing good things about cashmere and saw apshaveco has fan knots which I prefer. i dont know what loft id want on it though. looking at 26mm knot.
My understanding is that loft is generally twice the diameter (so, 52 mm?). Having said that, I set my Cashmere fan as shallowly as possible (1 mm past the glue bump) because it felt best (splayed easily, as opposed to something deeper which felt stiffer and less pleasant for me).

My understanding is that loft is generally twice the diameter (so, 52 mm?). Having said that, I set my Cashmere fan as shallowly as possible (1 mm past the glue bump) because it felt best (splayed easily, as opposed to something deeper which felt stiffer and less pleasant for me).
I wonder how to communicate that to him when ordering.

Top Bottom