What's new

Honing advise

Gamma, you should copy that post and post it in the already existing Sticky thread "Honing. What you need to know"

It is worth saving for posterity. It's clear, philosophical, and non-partisan. Well done.

You hit it out of the park Kieth. That really should be a sticky. I second your comments on the TI white paste. That stuff has given me outstanding edges, very sharp. And quite smooth and it is a breeze to use.

Great post Keith! That pretty much sums up all your common options.

Anyone just getting in to honing or thinking of making their first purchase should read that.

You hit it out of the park Kieth. That really should be a sticky. I second your comments on the TI white paste. That stuff has given me outstanding edges, very sharp. And quite smooth and it is a breeze to use.

Does the TI white improve the edge coming off a JNat?

Last edited:
Ti White paste, I stumbled across it years ago. I put it on cotton hanging strop. I was really struggling with keenness issues coming of the dilucot method . I hit the ti paste for twenty laps and I was also amazed at how sharp my razor was. The razor was pinging hairs all over mid way. It is good stuff.

then I got my first and best coticule edge, guess what ? I thought bart was right paste does not improve a maxed out coticule edge. There is no doubt ti White paste is good stuff but I still prefer the edge of the coticule and for what I,ve tryed with docs edges of j nats paste can not improve the smoothness nor keenness.

this is what I have found just throught trial and error.

gary

Ti White paste, I stumbled across it years ago. I put it on cotton hanging strop. I was really struggling with keenness issues coming of the dilucot method . I hit the ti paste for twenty laps and I was also amazed at how sharp my razor was. The razor was pinging hairs all over mid way. It is good stuff.

then I got my first and best coticule edge, guess what ? I thought bart was right paste does not improve a maxed out coticule edge. There is no doubt ti White paste is good stuff but I still prefer the edge of the coticule and for what I,ve tryed with docs edges of j nats paste can not improve the smoothness nor keenness.

this is what I have found just throught trial and error.

gary
Were you getting any kind of HHT off the coti before the paste?

Were you getting any kind of HHT off the coti before the paste?[/QUOTE

very weak or close to holding point, but not like now I can get hht 4 plus 40 mm from holding point after stroping.the ti paste made it very easy when I was trying to master a coticule. The ti paste was more effective than crox

Last edited:
Does the TI white improve the edge coming off a JNat?
Not when the job was done correctly on the jnat. I have tried crox and both .5 and .25 diamond sprays on various medias. They leave harsh edges for me. The TI white paste seems to mimic a "natural" edge.

Last edited:
I will put in a simple word of advice.

It doesn't matter what stones you use, if you don't set the bevel correctly, then it doesn't matter what stones, strops, pastes or sprays you use after.

Top Bottom