What's new

Home Defense Shotgun Reccomendations

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Sure a bunch easier to make sure my SxS is unloaded and safe.

Nudder point of interest; on the SxS whenever you break it open it immediately puts the shotgun in 'safe' mode.

If I kept it empty I'd need to load it, and also move it to 'fire'. The latter task is only an issue if I forget to read the instructions hand written with a fountain pen on the Post-iT note on the wall over the shotgun next to my glasses and a flashlight so I can see to read the instructions.

I'm not a big fan of a shotgun in the house (prefer a handgun), but if I did, it would be a 20ga double-barrel Stoeger Coach. Compact, easy to get two quick shots off (not from your balcony, if you get the reference), but not too "scary" when the LEOs show up.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
No advice for specific shotgun that has been well covered. But a serious note about safety.

Keep the shotgun cruiser ready. Shells in the magazine, no shell in the chamber.

Shotguns and most rifles are not drop safe. They use an inertia firing pin and will discharge if dropped and can discharge if the firearm falls over as in was leaning in a corner.

To reiterate, do not keep a round in the chamber with long guns.

Pump...hammer down on an empty chamber and safety off. Just rack the slide and hit the trigger.

@OkieStubble...were you the OKC PO-lice Captain that got busted for DWI?

Too much Maker's Mark, eh?

Last edited:
Modern shotguns are drop-safe & do not require the "cruiser ready," e.g., if your SG has a spring in front of the firing pin, it is drop-safe.

Granted, "back in the day," some (many-?) of us trained on the old free-floating models.😉

Good post.

Cruiser Safe- Check and make sure shotgun magazine is empty.point shotgun in safe direction, preferably towards the ground.

Rack action open look and visually inspect chamber and receiver are empty. Stick finger in chamber and also feel that is empty.

Close action turn safety off and pull trigger firing hammer on empty shotgun which will release the slide action. Put safety back in the on position. Load magazine and magazine only with shotshells.

It is now, Cruiser Safe. If ever needed, pick up shotgun in low ready position if indoors and a high ready position in outdoors. Rack slide action to chamber a round and charge the shotgun. When ready to fire, aim at target you are intending to destroy and disengage safety with trigger finger behind trigger guard if R870 and with thumb on top of receiver tang of M500 or M590. Always remove thumb and hand from over the top of the receiver before firing a Mossberg. :)

I
Modern shotguns are drop-safe & do not require the "cruiser ready," e.g., if your SG has a spring in front of the firing pin, it is drop-safe.

Granted, "back in the day," some (many-?) of us trained on the old free-floating models.😉

Seen many things in my time with EMS including blown off heads. Will always use cruiser ready regardless of model.

I had a Rem 870 Tactical that I traded for a SXS for bird hutning. In my house I went with the Keltec KS7. I liked the slimmer profile over the KSG12, and I figure if seven 12 ga rnds haven't solved my problem then I got bigger issues. Plus I train the females in the home on use, and having a shorter overall length works well for room clearing and the bullpup gives a great balance on the weight. I do love how easy it is to stow and conceal this shotgun.

Kel-Tec_KS7_Tan__23075.jpg

This is my 20 gauge Remington express shotgun build for home defense. It was a lot of research to replace certain parts and so on. It’s all in the link anyhow. It has had well over 1000 practice rounds through it. Not one jam or failure so far. My wife even likes shooting it occasionally….

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This is my 20 gauge Remington express shotgun build for home defense. It was a lot of research to replace certain parts and so on. It’s all in the link anyhow. It has had well over 1000 practice rounds through it. Not one jam or failure so far. My wife even likes shooting it occasionally….

I remember that awesome thread. 2018…. Where has the time gone! :)

The first gun I ever bought for my own house was when I was fixing to graduate the academy and I knew I would be working nights weekends and holidays, just like any other rookie ever. Didn’t have a lot of money in those days the wife and I lived in an inner city apartment complex. Not the best place in the world to be seen leaving in a police uniform and going to work all night while your young beautiful wife is home alone.

The Remington 870 20 gauge I purchased for my wife had the classic wood stocks and came with two barrels a vented rib for birds with a screw in choke and a second deer barrel with an improved cylinder choke for slugs and buckshot. The wooden stock was a youth stock, so it fit my small wife perfectly. I remember buying an extended magazine tube extension from an old company called ‘Choate’? It held 7 shells.

Anyway, I bought that 870 with two barrels which was on a pre- Christmas sale for $199.99. Great price and great protection tool for a young poor couple on a budget. :)

It didn’t have a light because I honestly didn’t know enough about anything then to even consider a light. But the deer barrel had a front post and rear buckhorn sights. When I saw my wife quickly and efficiently, empty the 7 #4 Buck shells from the magazine and shucking them in and out as easy as shucking corn and destroying the humanoid targets at the gun range?

I went to work every night for a long while and never worried about it once. In fact, when I got off work and came home in the wee early hours of the morning? Don’t think I didn’t keep yelling “honey it’s me! I’m home honey!” When I came thru that front door. :)

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Sorry, I've been a bit distracted the past few days, and haven't commented or reacted to any of the posts in this thread during that time. I gave my buddy a link to this thread, so he's read what you guys have wrote. As always, thanks for the thoughtful responses and discussion. My buddy is still in the thinking about it stage, and not yet fully committed to making a purchase. So, my participation in this thread is probably as far as it will go. Please, feel free to further the conversation, and take this thread wherever it needs to go. 🙂

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sorry, I've been a bit distracted the past few days, and haven't commented or reacted to any of the posts in this thread during that time. I gave my buddy a link to this thread, so he's read what you guys have wrote. As always, thanks for the thoughtful responses and discussion. My buddy is still in the thinking about it stage, and not yet fully committed to making a purchase. So, my participation in this thread is probably as far as it will go. Please, feel free to further the conversation, and take this thread wherever it needs to go. 🙂

Have him get a Street Sweeper! :)

Just kidding. I wouldn't have one on a bet.

Have him get a Street Sweeper! :)

Just kidding. I wouldn't have one on a bet.

I ran across one at a pawn shop about 35 years ago. They wanted $300 for it but I passed, I didn't think it was worth that for what it was. I'm still kicking myself.

I think you can still get them but they're a lot more than $300 and you have to buy a $200 stamp. I think I'll pass again

I ran across one at a pawn shop about 35 years ago. They wanted $300 for it but I passed, I didn't think it was worth that for what it was. I'm still kicking myself.

I think you can still get them but they're a lot more than $300 and you have to buy a $200 stamp. I think I'll pass again

Yeah, I thought the BATF had waived their magic wand and made it an NFA gun because it's scary looking.

Late to the party.

I like a 5 shot model for balance and handling.

I like the Mossberg 500 series 5 shot because of the safety location.

For me, the 590 8 shot series was too nose heavy.

Having said that, I am seeing more and more Remington 870 police models showing up as departments are moving away from shotguns. I foolishly took a pass on one that was butter smooth (and every screw on it had a witness mark) on a thurs only to go back on sat where it was gone gone gone.

As others have said pattern your buck shot in the gun.

I am a big fan of federal flight control buck ( 8 or 9 shot) because it patterns so well ( sub 8 inch at 20-25 yrds ) in every gun I have see it shot thru to include my 18.5 inch rattle can no choke 125USD Mossberg pawn shop rescue.

More modestly price buck shot may be just fine if it patterns consistently out of your gun at your distances i.e. 9 yrds is the longest hall way in your house etc.

Re the 12 v 20 gauge- I know more than one shooter that came to the conclusion that , in the end , a purpose designed light recoiling 12g load was softer feeling than a regular 20 g buck, particularly with

1. good technique re "shouldering" the shotgun.
2. a good recoil pad.
3. a properly fitted stock.
4. use of a overall technique where one pushes out with the pump hand, pulls in with the stock hand and turns both hand inward like one is wringing out a towel.

Late to the party.

I like a 5 shot model for balance and handling.

I like the Mossberg 500 series 5 shot because of the safety location.

For me, the 590 8 shot series was too nose heavy.

Having said that, I am seeing more and more Remington 870 police models showing up as departments are moving away from shotguns. I foolishly took a pass on one that was butter smooth (and every screw on it had a witness mark) on a thurs only to go back on sat where it was gone gone gone.

As others have said pattern your buck shot in the gun.

I am a big fan of federal flight control buck ( 8 or 9 shot) because it patterns so well ( sub 8 inch at 20-25 yrds ) in every gun I have see it shot thru to include my 18.5 inch rattle can no choke 125USD Mossberg pawn shop rescue.

More modestly price buck shot may be just fine if it patterns consistently out of your gun at your distances i.e. 9 yrds is the longest hall way in your house etc.

Re the 12 v 20 gauge- I know more than one shooter that came to the conclusion that , in the end , a purpose designed light recoiling 12g load was softer feeling than a regular 20 g buck, particularly with

1. good technique re "shouldering" the shotgun.
2. a good recoil pad.
3. a properly fitted stock.
4. use of a overall technique where one pushes out with the pump hand, pulls in with the stock hand and turns both hand inward like one is wringing out a towel.
I agree on everything, except the 12 vs. 20 softer shooing comment. While the extra mass of a 12 will soften the impulse, especially with reduced recoil, you can’t make my wife pick up a 12 and like it….I tried. The weight is too much for little people to maneuver easily like a 20. It’s not so much the kick, but the maneuverability of the lighter 20 for little folks. A 28 gauge would be better for her, but I couldn’t build one as reasonably priced as the express.

Bad people will not notice the difference if they get shot with one or the other at in home ranges. I have pattered many shotguns for duck and turkey at hunting ranges. Youll be good at 9 yards no matter what you shoot, no matter what choke, gauge, or buckshot you use. I think we get too wrapped up in looking at minutiae when it comes to shotguns at close range.

As usual, it depends on what someone will practice with. The older I get….the more I like lighter guns…

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I agree on everything, except the 12 vs. 20 softer shooing comment. While the extra mass of a 12 will soften the impulse, especially with reduced recoil, you can’t make my wife pick up a 12 and like it….I tried. The weight is too much for little people to maneuver easily like a 20. It’s not so much the kick, but the maneuverability of the lighter 20 for little folks. A 28 gauge would be better for her, but I couldn’t build one as reasonably priced as the express.

Bad people will not notice the difference if they get shot with one or the other at in home ranges. I have pattered many shotguns for duck and turkey at hunting ranges. Youll be good at 9 yards no matter what you shoot, no matter what choke, gauge, or buckshot you use. I think we get too wrapped up in looking at minutiae when it comes to shotguns at close range.

As usual, it depends on what someone will practice with. The older I get….the more I like lighter guns…
Good post. I remember the video of the guys using a Mossberg .410 home defense shotgun that was loaded with a .357 caliber slug and several 00 buckshot, traveling at .357 magnum speeds and tearing up a downrange target with very accurate and effective fire.

Remember this video back in your old thread Brian? :)

There's nothing better then watching a good ole country boy, showing us how it's done. :)

Look at the accuracy of the second shell holding 5 000 Buckshot at 30 ft. People underestimate the devasting power of lower gauge shells if they are too small to wield the size a 12 gauge or handle it's recoil. However, if one can handle a 12 gauge, then I agree with David @dojpros that a 12 gauge can be loaded with a huge diversity of lighter loads in recoil reduced shells and still put out devastating firepower. No doubt the 12 gauge is a great manstopper. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, gentlemen. It sounds like the consensus is that the 870 or 590 would be a good choice. I just talked with him a moment ago, and he's done a little independent research, and is now considering a Benelli M4. Thoughts?
The Benelli M4 is a $2k shotgun. The Remington and Mossberg are ~$500. Naturally a $2k shotgun is going to be quite a bit better in nearly every meaningful category. I have owned a Benelli M4 for at least 15 years, and it is an outstanding shotgun, but I see it as more of an offensive tool, versus a defensive tool. It’ll do home defense duty perfectly fine, but it’s tremendous overkill. Given they’re asking you for advice - I’m assuming they’re not an expert or a gun nerd - so unless they just absolutely have to have the best, your friend is better off with one of the aforementioned pump shotguns.

Top Bottom