What's new

Home Defense Shotgun Reccomendations

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
To start with, this is not a discussion for me, it is for my friend. Those of you who are familiar with me will know that I am I'm not trying to imply "my friend", but it's legitimately information to help a friend of mine. I know far more about pistols and rifles than I do shotguns, so while I know a decent amount, I'm not incredibly well versed with shotguns. He lives in Illinois, and is, from what I understand, pretty much inexperienced with firearms.

I quickly suggested a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590, but haven't gone in to detail with him about which variations would be best.

Any suggestions or advice?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I keep a 590 around the house. I prefer the tang safety on the 500/590 over the 870's trigger guard safety.

I mentioned to him that the big difference between the 870 and 590 is the safety. Again, I'm not well versed with shotguns, so I was just basing it on what I've briefly understood.

I have always had 870's. Nothing wrong with a Mossberg, just "Coke vs Pepsi" and I prefer Coke.

Hy home gun is my first shotgun, that I bought at a pawn shop in the late '90s. I've had several barrels and furniture sets on it over the years but settled on a standard length plastic stock and an 18" barrel.
20230316_051244.jpg
20230316_051355.jpg

I used to have a sawed-off barrel, and then a factory 14" from a Tac-14, but those are both illegal and I didn't want any legal trouble while transporting it or if I ever needed to use it.

Also tried many of the small pistol grips and "bird head" grips, but those are murder on your wrist. With a standard stock you can shoulder it or carry/fire it down on your hip.

First shell is birdshot (7.5 or 8) to scare them off, and to be less lethal in case it's a drunk relative I wasn't expecting. If they keep coming, the rest are buckshot (the equivalent of twelve 9mm rounds all at once).

I've had Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, and Benelli Nova. I've sold everything except my 870 Police Magnum with an extended magazine. It's Ford vs Chevrolet vs Dodge vs Mercedes.

The main thing is to train with what you have. A pump shotgun isn't as easy to use as Hollywood makes it look.

Racking a slide only makes something aware of your location. And the shot pattern isn't as wide as most people think it is.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have a simply 20 gauge SxS as my bed room first line. Use #4 shot. One barrel Full and second Mod. I figure it is simply a way to engourage them to stop and think while I get the safe open to my Model 1917s and moon clips of 45acp.

I have a Mossberg 590 with #4 buck as part of the welcoming committee. I find the safety very easy to reach without shifting my grip. Remington 870's used to be much easier to "short stroke," (not what you want to happen,) when compared to the Mossbergs, so when considering that issue and the location of the safety, I went with the Mossberg.

As a senior citizen, I did not feel I could handle the recoil of a 12 ga. Also, if fired within the confines of a home, the blast from a 12 ga is going to be deafening and disorienting for anyone inside the home, whether friend or foe.

I got a 20 ga Winchester SXP. The pump action is designed so the recoil will start the slide moving rearward, making this one of the fastest shotgun mechanisms around. The action is very smooth. The shotgun is designed in USA, but manufactured in Turkey, which is known for making some very capable shotguns. If a single 20 ga load is not sufficient to stop a perpetrator, the SXP can get off a second shell nearly as fast as a semi-auto.

While the Winchester SXP might not be as popular as the models by Remmington and Mossberg, it is still worthy of consideration.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
As a senior citizen, I did not feel I could handle the recoil of a 12 ga. Also, if fired within the confines of a home, the blast from a 12 ga is going to be deafening and disorienting for anyone inside the home, whether friend or foe.

I got a 20 ga Winchester SXP. The pump action is designed so the recoil will start the slide moving rearward, making this one of the fastest shotgun mechanisms around. The action is very smooth. The shotgun is designed in USA, but manufactured in Turkey, which is known for making some very capable shotguns. If a single 20 ga load is not sufficient to stop a perpetrator, the SXP can get off a second shell nearly as fast as a semi-auto.

While the Winchester SXP might not be as popular as the models by Remmington and Mossberg, it is still worthy of consideration.
I also have an SXP. It is fast but I'm not sure it is much faster than the old Model 12. But 20 Gauge be nice.

Winchester then & now 2small.jpg

If he's a relative novice, I would say get a Mossberg 500- tang safety, light weight. The 590 is nice (-er in my opinion,) because of the heavier barrel and easily extended mag tube, but most folks don't have my prerequisites.

The Remington 870, at this time, is the same entry-level piece(relatively crude/rough finishing on many pieces, modest number of buyer complaints), the only real difference being the location of the safety and a steel receiver.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, gentlemen. It sounds like the consensus is that the 870 or 590 would be a good choice. I just talked with him a moment ago, and he's done a little independent research, and is now considering a Benelli M4. Thoughts?

Top Bottom