What's new

Home Defense Shotgun Reccomendations

Thanks to all you fine gents I have put an order in for a 590a1.

My reasons:

The model I got has interchangeable choke tubes.

The Mossberg can shoot mini shells possibly reliably with aftermarket help. Mini shells a no-go with Remington. Do I need to shoot mini shells? No idea ;).

The lack of pinned/soldered parts means I can fix stuff more easily.

Extended mag tubes are easier to install.

Trigger seemed fine enough.

Action was smooth enough.

Never shot it, nor a Remington, so the most important part of the equation is unanswered. But heck I’ll probably never shoot a Remi to compare it to so ignorance is bliss.

In any event thanks again for all the insight.
Are you sure they sold you a 590A1? It’s been a long time but I thought the those didn’t have choke tubes, or did they add in an additional barrel?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Are you sure they sold you a 590A1? It’s been a long time but I thought the those didn’t have choke tubes, or did they add in an additional barrel?

They’re a lot of different ones, but the 50765 has the accu-choke system, shipped with a cylinder bore choke. At least that’s what Mossberg.com says it has. Never know until I get it in hand of course. Mossberg also increased the mag tube to 6.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, gentlemen. It sounds like the consensus is that the 870 or 590 would be a good choice. I just talked with him a moment ago, and he's done a little independent research, and is now considering a Benelli M4. Thoughts?

I have one. The M4 is sweet. I've only used it outdoors with ear protection. Also, I don't know all the shotguns.

Is the M4 the best gun for home defense? Maybe.$$

Modified, it might be even better for home defense.$$$

Will the M4 function reliably with low recoil home defense shells? I really don't know. It's an important question.

A nice 870 or equivalent would be a good choice for most people.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
He can't really go wrong with any of those top three. However I would suggest some caveats him being a novice, not to just shotgun's but firearms in general. Unlike the straight manual of arms of most semi auto pistols and rifles a defensive shotgun should be considered by most, especially a novice, to be some serious juju when it comes to home defense.

for instance:

While a Mossberg 590 and 500, or a Remington 870 or even a chosen flavor of Benelli M4 preferences by the 'experienced' shotgunner, can be considered Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge, there are caveats or things that need to be duly notated that won't come with their owners manual.

1. The Mossberg is a fine shotgun. Many prefer it's operating system and top mounted safety preferable over other shotgun brands. I have seen an police officer break his nose by flipping the safety off, but then not removing his thumb off the tang from the top and the recoil from his first shot fired sending his top mounted hand rearwards in recoil into his face, breaking his nose and tearing his septum in half. While many Mossberg lovers here will respond, this guy was an idiot or just didn't know what he was doing, they will have just made my point. As this thread is about advice for someone who does not yet know or are trained to know what they are doing? :)

2. Everyone knows, the recoil of a shotgun can be brutal. Especially if, They are beginning and have not learned proper technique in A. Stance, B. Proper holding and postioning of the shotguns rear stock in regards to the shoulder, eye placement and purposely working the forearm of a pump shotgun. It should be notated many unexperienced will find, the long angled downward sloping of a Benelli M4 stock and pistol grip is very difficult to maintain and absorb the recoil correctly when beginning. To a novice, a Benelli's recoil can be perceived to be much harsher and brutal then an M590 or R870.

3. I'm sure you can find a police department somewhere in the U.S, that issues a Mossberg to their officers. But by and large, of the over 100,000 police departments nation wide, I would bet 95% of them issue Remington 870 Police Magnums to their young cadets to train with in the academy and carry in their patrol vehicles once they are on the street. Why is this? There are several reasons which make it simpler, more reliable and conducive for someone like many police officer's who are just not experienced gun guys.

A. The 870 has a solid, full length "S" shaped shell lifter and follower in the loading port which allows for a very simple, easy and user friendly reload. It actually helps a new beginner, guide the shotshell he is trying to load into the magazine. A Mossberg's skeletonized, partial length "H" shaped shell lifter and follower. While the follower stays up out of the way at the top of the Mossberg's receiver, It makes it difficult for a novice to blindly find the magazine tube with a shell under stress. If the shell lifter is hit with the knuckles or fingers while loading, there are a lot of sharp and rough edges which can allow someone not experienced, to misfeed or cut or jamb fingers and thumbs when reloading. Especially under stress.

B. When it comes to the shotguns pump action, while both use dual action bars, the 870 uses a very solid one piece design that combines the action bars and pump to make for a solid, one piece very durable and reliable design. The Remington 870 tends to be tighter and smoother. It gives an overall higher quality experience.

The Mossberg uses 'two pinned action bars, that are anchored to a separate slide assembly. The end result is the Mossberg pumps tend to feel a bit sloppy, and they move around quite a bit. You can feel the slop in your hands as you pump the weapon. I will say, the 500 series Mossberg does make it easier to replace and repair the action. Should a bar get bent, it’s easy to unpin the bar and remove and replace it. If a Remington 870 bar gets bent, it can be challenging to pull out the entire system and replace it.

C. One of the most significant differences you can’t see between them, is what material makes up your shotgun’s receiver. Most people can’t look at a metal and tell you what it is. This material difference is one of the biggest differences you’ll likely never notice. The Remington 870s use good ole ‘fashion American steel. Well, I don’t know if it’s American anymore, but this steel gives the 870s a more substantial receiver overall.

The Mossberg 500 series uses aluminum receivers. While steel is stronger, there is likely never going to be a time you can break a Mossberg 500’s aluminum receiver. While the difference exists between the materials, there is no practical advantage to using steel over aluminum. However, these types of things is why an typical 870's price tag will run a bit more expensive then a typical Mossberg. Price is in the pudding, just sayin'. While a steel shotgun can be a pound and a half heavier to lug around and carry, I don't consider that a bad thing when shooting full power 12 gauge slugs or 00 buckshot.

D. One excellent feature the Mossberg has the Remington doesn't is a dual extractor. while I have never seen a Remington 870's single extractor break or fail in the police academy or on the street, the redundancy of a second extractor has to be a good thing right? Even if one fails there is always a second one right there for reliability.

Other very small things to take note. Mossberg and Remington both makes many different takes and models on their shotguns. However, If you take a standard, basic Remington 870 and a basic Mossberg 500? The 870's barrel will have thicker steel. In order to get a thicker barrel on the Mossberg, you would have to spend even more money and upgrade to the Mossberg 590. Which the basic 870's barrel is of the same thickness as the 590 already without an upgrade. Upgrade to a Remington 870 Police and get tritium front post, ghost ring rears 7+1 extended magazine tube etc.

In saying all of this. Mossberg's expensive and upgraded 590A1 which the Marines so proudly use, is the only shotgun I know of that passed the US Army's testing procedure called the MIL-SPEC 3443 test, which is a brutal, 3K round test that pushes shotguns to the edge.

Also, in 2007 Remington was purchased by and manufacturing was taken over by Freedom Group LLC, The revered 870 was only a shadow of its former self in quality craftsmanship and quality control. However, in the last few recent years, they seemed to have turned around and righted the ship, I hear much more positive reviews from owners of the current stuff who say, they are looking, feeling and shooting much better these days.

I have had my Remington 870 Police for many, many moons. And while it was awesome when I first purchased it back in the late 90's, I still sent it in to scattergun tech so they could give it their once over. I love my Glocks and AR's, but I can absolutely rock with my 870 Police Magnum. :)

View attachment 1622299

View attachment 1622300

Over the years I've read many shotgun threads on various gun forums. This might be the best thread on the subject that I've read. I want to compliment and thank the various shotgun experts participating. My knowledge and understanding of the platform have increased.

Currently I'm looking at my Stoeger Coach Gun. It's handy. Actually, it's not much fun to shoot as it has the kick of a mule in 12 gauge, but it will get the job done. It is easy enough to use in my opinion, but it would not work for my wife.

Usually my M4 is kept in the gun safe; I don't want it stolen. Next to it in the safe is my 870. I have a Mossberg Shockwave at the office.

One problem with this thread is I want most all of the guns I've read about. Another problem is it got me thinking about how I need a 20 gauge or two, and maybe even a Henry Axe .410 not a shotgun.

Thanks for such great information, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One thing I found is that my 4'11" wife could not easily handle a pump in 12ga or 20ga. However, she could shoot my Remingtom 1100 Special Field just fine. She could shoot my Browning A5 okay. I can shoot it with one hand, no problem (I am not a small guy and have thick arms and chest). I never liked doing that with a pump. This is very much what is shootable for a person. One size does not fit all, for sure.

They’re a lot of different ones, but the 50765 has the accu-choke system, shipped with a cylinder bore choke. At least that’s what Mossberg.com says it has. Never know until I get it in hand of course. Mossberg also increased the mag tube to 6.

You ordered the correct model. I have the same complete with accu-choke system. Solid shotgun. Added Magpul adjustable stock, sling and Magpul hardware for Streamlight 1000 lumen light. Works like a charm.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It’s very humanitarian to flood their eyes with light, just before punching their ticket and confirming their appointment on the judgement seat of heaven.

They should sell self adjusting goggles. Like a welders helmet. That way you would blind the bad guy while not blinding yourself.

It’s very humanitarian to flood their eyes with light, just before punching their ticket and confirming their appointment on the judgement seat of heaven.

You cracked me up big time! Lucky I wasn’t drinking a beer or eating a sandwich. Would have spewed all over my phone! 🤣. Yeah, I’ll be acting real humanitarian if the security alarm goes off. Yeah sure! 🙄🤣😊

Top Bottom