What's new

Herring shoes are amazing

Oh man, these are even cooler:
proxy.php

OP-
Did you get these shipped to North America? Did you pay duty/customs fees?

Who made this pair? I like them a lot.

Guys, please don't do this to your bench made shoes. I know it seems like it is a good idea but leather soles should not have rubber stuck on the bottom. It doesn't protect them, it ruins them!

Bench made shoes are designed and manufactured to be balanced and this unbalances them and can cause extra strain on the sole and the heal and can cause premature wear. Leather soles are also designed to breathe. This stops this happening at all.

If you wear decent bench made shoes you should be able to send them back to the manufacturer for new soles or heels. They will do the work on the original lasts that they were made on. Most shoe manufacturers will refuse to do any rework on shoes that have had aftermarket soles stuck on the bottom, so be warned!

When you wear your shoes you should not wear them on consecutive days if possible. Instead have a rotation. This allows the shoes to dry properly (on shoe trees of course). Wet shoes should not be dried near a radiator or some other heat source, they should be left to dry naturally to prevent the leather from becoming brittle and cracking.

Of course you all know that the best shoes are made in Northampton England (only 30 minutes from where I live) :001_tt2: All the best nemes, Church's, Crock&Jones, loake, barker, john lobb blah blah blah...

I always sport Church's but if you guys really want a special pair of shoes look into a pair of shoes by John Lobb! That really would be a treat! :001_tt1:

It is always fun to try and match your shoes and watchstrap! Here is My Omega Speedie on a tan Ostrich Skin strap with my bench made Church's brogues. Eccentric me?? Nah!:001_tongu

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, please don't do this to your bench made shoes. I know it seems like it is a good idea but leather soles should not have rubber stuck on the bottom. It doesn't protect them, it ruins them!

Bench made shoes are designed and manufactured to be balanced and this unbalances them and can cause extra strain on the sole and the heal and can cause premature wear. Leather soles are also designed to breathe. This stops this happening at all.

If you wear decent bench made shoes you should be able to send them back to the manufacturer for new soles or heels. They will do the work on the original lasts that they were made on. Most shoe manufacturers will refuse to do any rework on shoes that have had aftermarket soles stuck on the bottom, so be warned!

When you wear your shoes you should not wear them on consecutive days if possible. Instead have a rotation. This allows the shoes to dry properly (on shoe trees of course). Wet shoes should not be dried near a radiator or some other heat source, they should be left to dry naturally to prevent the leather from becoming brittle and cracking.

of course we all know that & this is the old debate , some would say yes ,some would said no ,some other will go only with the iron toe (like edward green )but actually some manufacturers recomand to do it . the breathe thing is a joke ,did your shoes breathe when they are soaked in water after a rainy day.+ the rubber prevent you to slide on a wet floor and is more comfortable .
if you have a plain sole(stitching not apparent) you can go only with the iron (or without) depending how you walk ,have in mind that even in northampthon (all my shoes comes from there)the quality of the sole leather have decrease this days it is more like cardboard & you can see serious dammage on the leather after wearing the shoes 3 times and the stitch can begun to cut quickly .so everybody have his point of wiew but having more than 20 pairs ,i can see me paid 150€ for a full resole every year i rather have the rubber thing for 25€.just my opinion .

Last edited:
I wear Dack's. A Canadian shoe store that has their own line of English made shoes.
For those in Missasauga, Toronto or Calgary I recommend you check the store out. They also carry Church's (Sadly my Edmonton store has closed).

My shoe is http://www.dacks-shoes.com/seneca.htm (thank goodness i got them at 280.00 a couple years ago)

i can see me paid 150€ for a full resole every year i rather have the rubber thing for 25€.just my opinion .

Ah... each to their own. I prefer to have them sent back for the guys at the original manufacturer to do their magic. That way they use the original lasts and everything is as they should be, rather than some idiot cobbler on some street corner butchering my £350 pair of shoes.

I think of it as having some local mechanic looking at your Ferrari when it goes wrong. I'd much prefer to pay the extra and have a trained expert do the work with the correct tools and materials. I figure that if you can afford the Ferrari (or in this case a £350 pair of shoes) you can afford to have it / them looked after in the correct manner. No point in getting the work done badly in order to save a couple of quid at this stage.

As for the comfort of rubber soles, I would also disagree on that front. Rubber soles are much more slippery on wet surfaces in my experience. The leather soles become rough and also hold a small amount of grit when it is wet which acts to counter slippery surfaces. But then some guys prefer rubber soles - it is just a personal preference thing. I only own two pair of shoes without leather soles, one is a pair of boots for walking and one is a pair of deck shoes for wearing in the summer with shorts, I rarely wear either pair as I much prefer the feel of leather and leather soled shoes certainly, without a shadow of a doubt, breath better than rubber soled shoes. People get stinky sneakers but who has ever heard of a stinky pair of leather soled oxfords or brogues?

my cobbler is in no way an idiot ,it's a real artisan who can redo a shoe from the ground he have the skills & the tools .he got the agrement from paraboot & he use to work a lot on alden ,weston & john lobb shoes amoung others .
speaking of the rubber if you take a close look at the picture it's not the popular topy(wich in my cobblers opinion is the more solid ) that i ask for my shoes but a grainy ,textured rubber wich is not slippery ,contrarly it add some grip .
yes you english made IMHO the best shoes around but i've hear it's become difficult to find a good cobbler in your country .again i think it's a matter of taste and there's is no thruth here just preferences & facts .
theses things are debated a lot on shoes forum & again there's some people who like to protect their shoes & some who like to resole ,some others throw em in the basket when they are worn out depending on your money .
i have even seen some edward green shoes coming stock with the iron & some manufacturer like alden have also their own way to do it .
and i still don't have the money for full resole but i you dear sir want to send me a free pair of john lobb or E.GREEN shoes i can wear them as is just for your pleasure :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Right you are in that decent cobblers over in the UK are few and far between. There are, I am sure, a few gems around but generally speaking I would trust few of them with my shoes! If you have a decent cobbler then you are a lucky man and you should look after him and he will look after your shoes. As you say all personal preferences.

I, fortunately, am close to Northampton and so driving my shoes to the factory is easy, and means that the idiot cobblers I know don't get their grubby hands on my shoes! It would be a bit of a drive for you, although you could make a holiday out of it and pick up a few more pairs! You could pick up some shaving supplies whilst over here also! :tongue_sm (I's be more than happy to give you a guided tour of StJames and Jermyn St so you could drop into DR Harris, T&H and Trumpers to make the trip worthwhile!:biggrin1:)

Whatever you do, wear your shoes in good health and enjoy them.

thanks for the offer ,if only i've got the money i will take the jump to a edward green factory tour , for the shaving goods i can shop online or in paris & i have the trumpers W.I.limes on my wishlist .about my cobbler i will take care of him as long is prevent me from silly walks :biggrin1:
he was kind enough to restitching my strop last week & he have do it for free ,so even wet shaver needs a good relationship with their cobbler (assuming it's a real one not the one's that make the keys in supermarket)

I wear Dack's. A Canadian shoe store that has their own line of English made shoes.
For those in Missasauga, Toronto or Calgary I recommend you check the store out. They also carry Church's (Sadly my Edmonton store has closed).

My shoe is http://www.dacks-shoes.com/seneca.htm (thank goodness i got them at 280.00 a couple years ago)

Dack's used to make shoes in Canada but few years ago moved the manufacturing to Mexico(or at least some of it). I still own a pair of Dack's that I bought 14 years ago.

Dack's used to make shoes in Canada but few years ago moved the manufacturing to Mexico(or at least some of it). I still own a pair of Dack's that I bought 14 years ago.

Dack's transferred manufacturing of their lower end (but still not inexpensive) shoes to Mexico, but had their higher-end shoes (as in $400 - $500) made in England (Northampton, I expect).

Unfortunately, Dacks has recently gone bankrupt and another Canadian ikon now goes the way of the dodo (they had been in buisiness for over 100 years).

Oh, and on the topic of the rubber sole liners, its a personal preference thing - I've had shoes with and without them for years and the shoes with them were never less comfortable, less breathable or had the soles ruined as a consequence. In fact, if you wear your good shoes outside in the winter in Canada the rubber liners do protect against the salt. As for the tips, I agree completely that they need to be installed by a competent cobbler, as they should be inset so they are flush with the rest of the sole.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I, fortunately, am close to Northampton and so driving my shoes to the factory is easy, ...
lucky b@$t@rd!!
Dack's transferred manufacturing of their lower end (but still not inexpensive) shoes to Mexico, but had their higher-end shoes (as in $400 - $500) made in England (Northampton, I expect).

Unfortunately, Dacks has recently gone bankrupt and another Canadian ikon now goes the way of the dodo (they had been in buisiness for over 100 years).

RIP Dack's ... since 1838 IIRC. I have some of the higher-end shoes from the mid-90s, and really enjoy them still. :thumbup1:

Dack's is completly gone? They had removed Edmonton from the web site (and obviously the store was gone) but still listed three stores. My mother bought me my first good shoes there in 1983 and I have bought every pair of dress shoes I've had from them...sigh.

Vintage razors, manual watches from the 60's and 70's, vintage fountain pens and now my shoes...I see a really unfortunate theme here.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Dack's is completly gone? They had removed Edmonton from the web site (and obviously the store was gone) but still listed three stores. My mother bought me my first good shoes there in 1983 and I have bought every pair of dress shoes I've had from them...sigh.

Vintage razors, manual watches from the 60's and 70's, vintage fountain pens and now my shoes...I see a really unfortunate theme here.

Ode to Dack's

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/after_hours/opinions/article.jsp?content=20100113_10017_10017

Can anyone attest to the quality of their Coltham Chelsea boots? I've been dying for a simple quality pair and those might be it!

No but I can attest for these Grenson Archies. I paid 180 pounds for mine from Pediwear (online retailer like Herring) - so if you are a UK9 or US10 this is a right bargain. Beautiful soft kid leather - will wear into a lovely 60s look true to the original chelseas:

http://www.asos.com/Grenson/Grenson...rchie&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black

Grenson make some lovely shoes - another Northampton Stalwart

Blast!! they're out of stock. and those are beautiful :crying: just the right height looks to me, i'll we awaiting their re-stock

Top Bottom