What's new

Henson mild v medium

Hi all,

Does anyone have both the mild and medium versions of the Henson?

I have the Mild and wondered whether the Medium represents much of a step up in efficiency? I.e. does it merit me shelling out for!!

Thank you

Good question. I'm sure you'll be getting some answers soon. I just wanted to chime in so I can follow the thread.

I shaved with the mild exclusively for about 8 months and bought a medium about 2 months ago. For me (and I think this is the general consensus as well), the medium represents a very small step up in efficiency.

I'm glad I started with the mild, as even that took a lot of adjusting to, coming from 30 years of cartridge shaving. I'm also glad I got the medium, the end result is about the same, but I do like that it can get me there just a little bit faster. I can't tell you if it's worth it for you though, the difference is noticeable but very, very small.

I own both the mild and medium Henson razors. Since purchasing medium, I rarely use the mild one.
The medium is still very mild, but gets the job done just a little bit more quickly than the mild. I don't find the medium to be threatening in any way, it's still plenty mild. The medium is a good razor to own for those times you want an easy, "auto-pilot" shave.
These days, my preference is for more efficient razors, like the Razorock Game Changer .84P, but the Henson is ready to produce a great shave, it just requires a bit more effort to get a very close shave.
Of course, YMMV.

I have experience with both mild and medium. I think the mild is probably fine for 90% of Henson users.

IMHO the medium is just slightly more efficient but it is also just slightly more aggressive. It loses a little bit of that Henson "can't hurt you" feeling. I can get an equal shave from the mild, it just takes more passes and more time, but the end result is the same. That said, I keep the medium in my den.

We carry the mild in our store so I bought one and used it prior to deciding to stock it. I also bought a medium at the same time. I have a contrary streak so I used the medium first and loved the performance it delivered every time. After a week I used the mild and found it somewhat less aggressive and yet it still delivered amazing results. In both cases I used Feather blades.

With the results that the mild delivers, my understanding is that most guys go with the mild. When you know you don't want to nick yourself you can pick up either one and proceed with confidence.

I have both, because I had the same question. My face/whiskers need 3 passes with both. The end result is exactly the same - excellent. So for me there is no real difference.

Also, with both they work best for me with a sharp blade, like a Nacet or Perma-sharp.

Last edited:
I have both and they give me great shaves. The medium gets me to the finish line faster. I find that sharper blades work best for me. Feather blades and the sharper Gillette family of blades all work very very well.

I have the AL13 medium in black, and find it extremely mild...like it would be impossible to nick yourself.
First time I used it was 3 days growth, and it took alot of blade buffing to complete a pass.
20220614_182139.jpg
20220614_175349.jpg

My question is why haven't they released the aggressive +++ level for the AL13 yet? Seems like a no brainer to me. I don't think I'd be a buyer of the mild or medium.

EDIT: Looks like they did a limited or special edition of the AL13 +++ (Aggressive)

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like the mild since it was a bit TOO mild, but I've never tried the medium. Another board member described the Henson as a "scraper" rather than a "slicer" and I'd agree. The head geometry makes it feel like you're scraping the blade across your face, which didn't work for me.

I didn't like the mild since it was a bit TOO mild, but I've never tried the medium. Another board member described the Henson as a "scraper" rather than a "slicer" and I'd agree. The head geometry makes it feel like you're scraping the blade across your face, which didn't work for me.
I get great shaves from my Medium Henson. I also have noticed the scaping felling. I attributed this more to not getting the angle just right. Now I wonder if that is just how the Henson's are.

I get great shaves from my Medium Henson. I also have noticed the scaping felling. I attributed this more to not getting the angle just right. Now I wonder if that is just how the Henson's are.
It's impossible to not get the angle right, since there is only 1 angle you can use with the Henson. I think it's just how it is with this razor. It didn't seem to matter what blade went into it either.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone! I will soon be a proud owner of a Henson AL13 Medium version in Steel Blue!
1655865488653.png

Correct, there is only 1 angle, and thats the beauty of this razor IMO. I am looking for a razor that helps me to shave quicker, without having to put so much concentration into maintaining my angle. From the research that I have done, I am fairly certain that this razor is it.

Reading the posts up above, I wanted to also let you guys in on some other stuff I learned in my research. I was on the Henson website, and I was looking at the models, and I too thought it was weird, that they were not selling an aggressive version of the AL13. Until I found myself stumbling onto the Titanium version of their razor.

Well, first of all, considering that they CNC'd the same exact handle design in Titanium, I don't think their razor is worth 250 dollars. This comes from someone who knows, because I own a Timeless Titanium TI95 razor with a Crown handle, so I think I know a thing or two about that. The Timeless Titanium razors start at 225 dollars, and you get a better handle by default, even if its not the Crown handle.

Having said all that however, I did discover, that Henson sells an aggressive version of their Titanium razor. Yes, I kid you not! But look what you have to pay, you gotta pay 250 dollars to get a Henson razor that is +++ aggressive +++. Hmm, take my advice, if you want to spend 250 dollars on a razor, just get a Timeless Titanium razor.

Anyways, can't wait to try out my new Henson razor, so I can also be a member of the Henson aluminum razor club among you amazing folks hehe. 😄

I had both the mild and the medium. Medium was a Goldilocks for me for over year.
I then bought a Yates and sold the Henson. Not because it was bad but more of a minimalist thing in my part as I preferred the Yates. Sometimes I do miss the autopilot feature of a no thinking shave I got with the Henson.

I had both the mild and the medium. Medium was a Goldilocks for me for over year.
I then bought a Yates and sold the Henson. Not because it was bad but more of a minimalist thing in my part as I preferred the Yates. Sometimes I do miss the autopilot feature of a no thinking shave I got with the Henson.

Did you stick with the M plate (stock) or did you choose a more aggressive plate? (H or EH)

I recently bought the Yates 921-m and have done 2 shaves since, once with the m plate (bead blast 316 SS) and then with the brass H plate with the brass top cap. Both Shave were great but I preferred the H plate. I also have the EH machined plate so looking forward to that.

I recently bought the Yates 921-m and have done 2 shaves since, once with the m plate (bead blast 316 SS) and then with the brass H plate with the brass top cap. Both Shave were great but I preferred the H plate. I also have the EH machined plate so looking forward to that.

Great! I got the brass cap & H plate too (but no M). What’s the bead blasted finish look like in person? The handle I got, the choice was either BB or stonewashed and I opted for BB.

Great! I got the brass cap & H plate too (but no M). What’s the bead blasted finish look like in person? The handle I got, the choice was either BB or stonewashed and I opted for BB.
The bread blast is smooth but it doesn’t seem as smooth as say the bead blast from Karve. Too soon to say if I prefer the brass cap or the brass blast though. Apparently on July 1st all plates with be available in all metals on Yates website.

Top Bottom