What's new

Help with forum view

I do understand. I also know it is now much harder for me to tell where I was and so I only scan the top 1-2 posts and get off the forum. I believe this could be happening for a lot of users.

The ability to choose between the old view and new preview mode would be really highly appreciated and valued by myself and potentially many others.

Thank you for your consideration.
Any time a forum changes without consent and the changes are made worse I leave the forum. Looks like I'm out if these changes don't get fixed. It was good knowing you all.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
C’mon … Let‘s hear from those fans who love it!

1664725842216.gif

Please, no need to hold back and be coy, we're interested in how you REALLY feel about it.
I will be candid since I come from a tech background.

Usually, the UI (user interface) is optimized for searching in mobile since the aspect ratio is 1:2 vs 16:9 on a TV. The ideal goal is to quickly be able to scan information (in this forum posts) without advancing to the second or 3rd page. It is a type of indexing that has made everyone obsess with page 1 of a google search. Same applies here.

With this change, the ability to parse the information concisely by the human mind has been impacted. Therefore, instead of having the information layed out in a fashion that is easy to scan and process, you now have to scroll a lot and determine if you saw something before.

Also, ergonomically, the less you have to scroll, the better off you are for basal thumb arthritis, which has become an actual concern and limitation of mobile website development.

So, respectfully, it was a great layout previously and it would be highly appreciated to return to such a format from my experience and personal perspective.

I have spent enough time looking at business analytics for this topic and have went through many sessions with entrepreneurs and business owners to reach this conclusion.

I hope this helps in any decision making for the site, which is my only interest.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I will be candid since I come from a tech background.

Usually, the UI (user interface) is optimized for searching in mobile since the aspect ratio is 1:2 vs 16:9 on a TV. The ideal goal is to quickly be able to scan information (in this forum posts) without advancing to the second or 3rd page. It is a kind of indexing that has made everyone obsess with page 1 of a google search. Same applies here.

With this change, the ability to parse the information concisely by the human mind has been impacted. Therefore, instead of having the information layed out in a fashion that is easy to scan and process, you now have to scroll a lot and determine if you saw something before.

Also, ergonomically, the less you have to scroll, the better off you are for basal thumb arthritis, which has become an actual concern and limitation of mobile website development.

So, respectfully, it was a great layout previously and it would be highly appreciated to return to such a format from my experience and personal perspective.

I have spent enough time looking business analytics for this topic and have went through many sessions with entrepreneurs and business owners to reach this conclusion.

I hope this helps in any decision making for the site, which is my only interest.
Thank you! Very helpful and insightful input.

Change is good, only if it makes the user experience better. Tapatalk support ended, making the user worse for some, but we understood the rationale for it. This change also makes the user experience worse, for many, with seemingly no rationale.

Just putting on my UX design and software product management hat from past lives. One effective way to measure whether a new UX change is effective is to run A/B testing and look at engagement results. Nominally you would randomly present the new and old design during various member viewing sessions, and measure level of engagement in posts for each.

From a design perspective it looks like you may be going for some type of grid preview layout. The challenge I see is the inconsistent presentation which makes assessing thread and post relevance difficult and time consuming. I would suggest shrinking the total footprint per card/preview, reduce the image size percentage in the card preview, and make text format content consistent.

But I think the best solution for the type of content and use case of the BST is a compact listing similar to the old view.

If you were to run A/B testing with myself you would see that I abandon looking at the BST section after a minute or two because it is just too painful to attempt to assess what is being presented and what has changed since I last visited the forum.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Just putting on my UX design and software product management hat from past lives. One effective way to measure whether a new UX change is effective is to run A/B testing and look at engagement results. Nominally you would randomly present the new and old design during various member viewing sessions, and measure level of engagement in posts for each.

From a design perspective it looks like you may be going for some type of grid preview layout. The challenge I see is the inconsistent presentation which makes assessing thread and post relevance difficult and time consuming. I would suggest shrinking the total footprint per card/preview, reduce the image size percentage in the card preview, and make text format content consistent.

But I think the best solution for the type of content and use case of the BST is a compact listing similar to the old view.

If you were to run A/B testing with myself you would see that I abandon looking at the BST section after a minute or two because it is just too painful to attempt to assess what is being presented and what has changed since I last visited the forum.
1664727456110.gif

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Thanks. That's a helpful perspective!

Just for info fellas, we're going to let this run a little bit and see how things go.

No one likes change, I get it, but we want to make an informed decision which means time to assess.
Thanks for the patience if you are one of the folks that doesn't like the format.

If you're one of the folks that do like the format, we'd like to hear from you as well.

It's not really about "not liking change" this time, imho. First time I saw the new layout, I actually thought the BST had already been disabled for charity auction and closed my browser. Then I realized it was too early for that and went back to see what happened. Scrolling through it on my phone I couldn't even tell what I was actually looking at, I had to move to my PC and look at it there to recognize that the site wasn't broken, but the layout was deliberately changed.

With the new layout I can't see which posts are new, which ones have new replies, and which ones haven't had any activity since my last visit. It's basically unusable, and I'm not going to use it as long as this layout is the only way to view it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I noticed the change... I thought it was a change due to the upcoming St Sue Moore Memorial Auction. I don't know why I assumed that. I figured, BST would return to normal when the auction was complete.

The Contributor BST has been set up this way for a while. I admit, I do find the format cumbersome and sometimes, slightly annoying.

I do agree, however. I'm less likely to buy something now on BST because the format isn't a pleasant experience. So I'll save money in the long run.... and I've already "shaved a fortune". <eg>

Top Bottom