What's new

Help with crystal repair on my watch

So I got a small tick in my mineral crystal on one of my watches that pressure cracked while sitting in my watch box. The supplier was nice enough to send me a new sapphire crystal and hold down ring. But man is that ring not only really thin, but also bevels so much I don't know how to grasp on it let alone screw the new one down.

Any ideas on what I need to do to swap these out ?
PXL_20230616_220755463.MP.jpg
PXL_20230616_220815966.jpg

As far as I know, they don't screw in, but press in with pressure fit. You'll need a crystal press and a few other tools to gain access and keep your Seagull movement safe while working on it

It may be worth taking it to a Mom & Pop watch repair shop to get done.

I've never done a crystal swap on a watch as I'm not set up with the proper tools and movement holders etc.

Last edited:
Normally a crystal replacement means disassembling the watch down to the case. So, you'd remove the case back, the crown, and the movement/dial assembly. Then you'd use a crystal press to press out the crystal from its underside, through the case back. Then you'd press-in the new crystal from the front of the case. Next, you'd re-insert the movement/dial assembly, the crown, and the case back.

In terms of tools, you'd need a case back opener to open and close the watch case back. You might need some small screwdrivers or some good quality toothpicks to remove and replace the movement. And you'd need a crystal/case back press to press out the old crystal and press in the new crystal. You might want a bulb to blow out any dust that might land on the dial/movement assembly while it's out and to clean out any dust from the underside of the crystal. You might want some Rodico clay to remove any fingerprints or marks from the underside of the crystal, after you press it into place. Although I've done it without the Rodico if I was careful. And you'd want some rubber gloves to make sure you don't put fingerprints or oils on everything you touch.

Most of the tools are available in cheap kits on Amazon. The crystal press is available there too. A full setup might cost you 40-50 bucks, or so.

I do a small amount of watch modifications, but I've never worked on something as complicated as a 1963 SeaGull chronograph before. Honestly, it doesn't look too difficult. I'd make sure the new crystal looks like it will fit before you take the watch apart.

Normally a crystal replacement means disassembling the watch down to the case. So, you'd remove the case back, the crown, and the movement/dial assembly. Then you'd use a crystal press to press out the crystal from its underside, through the case back. Then you'd press-in the new crystal from the front of the case. Next, you'd re-insert the movement/dial assembly, the crown, and the case back.

In terms of tools, you'd need a case back opener to open and close the watch case back. You might need some small screwdrivers or some good quality toothpicks to remove and replace the movement. And you'd need a crystal/case back press to press out the old crystal and press in the new crystal. You might want a bulb to blow out any dust that might land on the dial/movement assembly while it's out and to clean out any dust from the underside of the crystal. You might want some Rodico clay to remove any fingerprints or marks from the underside of the crystal, after you press it into place. Although I've done it without the Rodico if I was careful. And you'd want some rubber gloves to make sure you don't put fingerprints or oils on everything you touch.

Most of the tools are available in cheap kits on Amazon. The crystal press is available there too. A full setup might cost you 40-50 bucks, or so.

I do a small amount of watch modifications, but I've never worked on something as complicated as a 1963 SeaGull chronograph before. Honestly, it doesn't look too difficult. I'd make sure the new crystal looks like it will fit before you take the watch apart.
I do have a watch kit from Amazon. I've actually had the back off one of these before, but never tried to take the movement out. That thing scares me a bit lol wonder if I can find a video on it. If I do it I'll document it all here. Since the glass has shattered and the dial is exposed I may look to see if I can get it from the top

So far so good
PXL_20230618_145440581.jpg

Of course that's the easy part. Got the back off, and remove the crown. I have a video showing which screws will remove the movement. So wish me luck lol. Still need to figure out how to get the press ring off with no glass to press against

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So far so goodView attachment 1672932

Of course that's the easy part. Got the back off, and remove the crown. I have a video showing which screws will remove the movement. So wish me luck lol. Still need to figure out how to get the press ring off with no glass to press against

You have WAY more intestinal fortitude than I do my friend.
I wish for you the best of possible results.

Usually the case back is what holds the movement in place and there's no need to remove any screws to remove the movement. It looks a lot more complicated than it really is.

K, sooooooo..... This was a two second job that is now a pain in the *** with these little screws that I never had to take out lmao... On the plus side it's simple just hard dealing with them. I should have my watch back together today depending on my patience

Usually the case back is what holds the movement in place and there's no need to remove any screws to remove the movement. It looks a lot more complicated than it really is.
The movement slips in from front, two little holders hold it to back. But the press fit to the crystal (that I had to remove to remove the movement that I didn't have to remove cause it was just the crystal I had to take off) was super easy to get up..... Good grief

There's a video on YouTube titled "How to service Sea-Gull 1963 1 partie" that shows removal of the movement through the case back. But like you mentioned, there are two screws that hold the movement in place. Watches where the movement assembles through the front are usually much more difficult to service.

If you can remove the movement, pressing of the crystal should be much easier and it'd be less likely that you might damage something.

One lock back in, which is opposite the crown so now the movement is secure again. I'm golden from here yaay

Okay hold downs back in, movement is resecured. Just have to clean up the back glass and screw it down, clean up the face and get the new glass in

Top Bottom