What's new

Help Me Sort Contents For Small First Aid/Minor Emergency Kit

Gents, if you shop the Home Desperate stores you know they have loads of special buys at Christmastide and this year was no exception. One item I have kept an eye on is the polycarbonate storage bins they offer. Typically two models are in stock all the time. An 11 and 7 inch models. They are a bit pricey with the large one retailing at $16 or so. This year they offered a model that had the same footprint but was much deeper inside at around 3.5 inches or around 85mm. The other main difference is it comes with a three dial combination lock on the handle which I will discuss later. Here's a photo of the larger stock model since I could not find the deeper one online. They are now selling them out at 9.97 and I grabbed a couple before they are gone.

proxy.php

As you can see from the photo these are waterproof and have some adjustable dividers as well. So what I want to do is make up a small first aid kit for the cars. Now I don't really need a big triage kit but was thinking more along the lines of adhesive bandages, a few tubes of various ointments, a small 'space blanket' that can be folded up tight to use hardly any room, a discreet zip lock bag or similar for some emergency cash and change, copies of medical insurance cards, etc. You get the idea. Just something to take cares of bumps, bruises, insect bites, stings, or similar. Possibly even a lithium battery pack for quick charging of mobiles.

Okay, most of this is bog standard drugstore items so no need to overthink a large amount of it. However, there is one item that irritates me beyond reason sometimes. Plasters or bandaids, or adhesive bandages or whatever you call them in your locale. The big names in the States are Band-Aid and Curad. To be honest, I find both of them overpriced for their performance. They simply won't stay put most times. And the assortments you buy are not efficient in the amounts you use all the time. I have used one brand at work that is very good and would not mind finding a good source for them if you have a suggestion. The brand is Beiersdorf Coverlet. About the only other ones I have tried that come close is some generically packaged stuff from Ikea and while they hold good they leave all their adhesive on your skin and it is hard to get off. What say you?

While we are at it, most first aid kits are chock full of stuff you really don't use. So what would you leave out that always seems to be in those kits? Now as for pain meds and similar, the little individual packs you buy with two or three pills in them are neat and less wasteful but are hard to source and kind of expensive per pack. Ideas? I am thinking aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, antacids, anti diarrhea, and whatever else is recommended here. The ointments would probably be for sunburn, cleansing anti bacterial, and insect bites and stings. Maybe some alcohol and Betadine or similar. What else?

Oh by the way. About that combination lock. I will be disabling it. First up, a cheap lock like that does not stop anyone anyway. They will simply take the whole case and smash it open. Second, and even worse, I do not want anyone grasping for first aid items while in a state of some discomfort or fear having to fuss with a locking mechanism. The latch will work without it. I just don't want the latch destroyed while disabling it.

As far as bandaids, I normally get the fabric ones. The plastic ones never stick well for me. I always look for the ones where there is no glue/fabric enclosing the side of the pad. That reduces the effective area, and if you have a longer scratch/cut you can stack them side by side where you can't with a fully enclosed one. Sometimes wallyworld has their off brand ones pretty decently priced. If you need to enclose it, a piece of tape will do the trick.

Some other things I always keep in mine are a couple normal maxi-pads. Cheap handy version of a trauma dressing.
EMT scissors. They are about $5 and will cut just about anything. (even cut a penny in half.)
Benedryl pen. Nice for stings and/or bites.
Roll of that stick to itself sports wrap, gauze pads, gauze roll, plastic/paper medical tape, sports tape, and like you mentioned, an assortment of aspirin, anti-diarrhea, benedryl, bandaids, tweezers, flashlight...

Top Bottom