What's new

Help me identify mystery razor

606F5E58-FC24-46ED-B4E1-759A8ECA5A8C.jpeg
1B7B6F6F-6BAC-46BD-A81F-0657E5C1F1C7.jpeg
50CB97DC-219D-418A-A882-8F2A05C68975.jpeg
Greetings all badger shavers!

I have a mystery razor that I humbly ask you to help me identify, if at all possible. I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to find any clues that could lead me to learn the identity of this razor, but all I have found are two threads on B&B (below). That's it. Naturally, this drives me crazy.

I purchased the razor on Tradera (Swedish Ebay) along with a nice travel case meant for toiletries. I was actually only interested in the case and hardly noticed there was a razor included (well of course I noticed, but my interest was primarily in the travel case).

I was surprised when I received the package and tried the razor, as it turned out to be an excellent shaver; I have come to like it very much since that first time.

I usually don't like light razors - my rule of thumb being 'the heavier, the better' - but in this case, its low weight has not bothered me one bit (although I would be lying if I said that it wouldn't be even better if it were just a little bit heavier).

I find it to be more efficient than the original Tech, having nice blade feel and great feedback, while still being a comparatively mild shaver.

In my amateur opinion, the construction is excellent and the razor feels solid despite the aluminum baseplate and the low weight. Everything looks perfectly even, all the parts fit nicely, and the blade is held as securely as anyone could wish.

All of this comes together resulting in a very nice shave that leaves me more than satisfied every time.
In other words: this razor definitely performs much better than its humble appearance could suggest.

So, now that I'm done with the review, let's get down to business. I will tell you everything I know.

The razor has no markings whatsoever, not a single letter or number or alien cyrillic hieroglyphic anywhere on it. The baseplate is made of aluminum and when I compare them side by side with the Gillette Tech, the baseplates are identical. The head, however, is different.

The handle is made of lightweight brushed metal (probably also aluminum, but I am not sure) with relatively deep grooves. It's identical to the handle of the "Skrep" razor in this thread:

Skrep DE, a Matador clone

What's more, the complete razor looks exactly like this one:

Identify Tech-like knock-off razor.

This striking similarity makes me hopeful. On the other hand, there is also a chance that I may actually have purchased the razor from OP himself, who knows. Is it a Frankenrazor? That could explain the handle being identical to that of the "Skrep" razor (which I, by the way, was equally unable to find any information about).

So does this look familiar to anyone? Can you give me a clue?

Most likely Eastern European Communist era razor. I don't think it is specifically a Soluna mentioned in the thread since those had markings on the base plates.

The tip off to me is the diamond stamped base plate, that was patent and IIRC trademark protected. For international the only countries that wouldn't have been in that system were the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc countries. Anything that looks like a blatant copy of a Gillette razor is most likely from one of those countries.

That is interesting, thank you! I happen to be fluent in Polish, so I will make sure to check out the Polish part of the webosphere and see if I find a match.

R

romsitsa

Most likely Eastern European Communist era razor. I don't think it is specifically a Soluna mentioned in the thread since those had markings on the base plates.

The tip off to me is the diamond stamped base plate, that was patent and IIRC trademark protected. For international the only countries that wouldn't have been in that system were the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc countries. Anything that looks like a blatant copy of a Gillette razor is most likely from one of those countries.

Not familiar with US patent law, but protection shouldn’t last longer than ~20 years, so anyone could produce a “Tech” after ~1958. In my book the PAL/Star are Tech clones and these were Western products.

Adam

Not familiar with US patent law, but protection shouldn’t last longer than ~20 years, so anyone could produce a “Tech” after ~1958. In my book the PAL/Star are Tech clones and these were Western products.

Adam
The Star 100 was also produced in the US as early as 1946-47. It didn't copy the diamond indent however which is presumably why it didn't infringe on the Gillette patent.

1947 ad:
proxy.php

The mystery baseplate pictured is not identical to any Tech I am aware of, it has two slotted post holes where Techs AFAIK have only two slots aside the center post hole.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Adam

Trademarks are little bit different, if you can incorporate a trademark into the design then that is prevailing law that covers if you can reproduce it legally or not. A trademark can be used indefinitely as long as you renew the application every certain amount of years. A good example of this is the Autostrop Valet blades which incorporated the trademark into the blade design with the Valet cutout.

The main thing is that it is a good shaver! :a14::a14:

Unfortunately, I can’t help with ID as there is nothing for me to go on.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great find, I have nothing on a name. Congratulations on finding a great razor.

The mystery baseplate pictured is not identical to any Tech I am aware of, it has two slotted post holes where Techs AFAIK have only two slots aside the center post hole.

proxy.php

Well, duh. Somehow I failed to notice this tiny detail during my inspection. Of course, you're right. I found a similar thread on another shaving forum.

The two conclusions they arrived at are that:
1) It's likely a frankenrazor composed of parts of different razors, none of which they could identify, even speculatively, and 2) The two additional holes were added as a customization, most likely by the previous owner. I can't be sure, but if the holes are in fact a custom job, it means that it is actually the very same razor that is discussed in the following thread, and the two other ones that I referred to in the OP.
The thread: Help me identify this safety razor.

Nice looking razor whatever it is. Nice find.
The main thing is that it is a good shaver! :a14::a14:

Thank you! Of course, that should be the most important thing, and it is. I just feel that the question of the identity of this razor will haunt me for the rest of my life if I won't be able to find anything out, and I'm worried it will ruin shaving for me.

...nah, not really. But I am very curious, and it would be great to learn its history.

What I can tell you after thoroughly searching the Polish web, it is almost certainly not made in Poland (communist or otherwise), and none of the parts correspond with any Polish razor I could find.

If someone modified that after the fact look at the holes and see if there is bare metal in them on the sides or if it has plating. Unless the base plate is made of aluminum it will be metal plated. The milling work looks consistently poorly done not just on the shoulder holes but the for the safety guard. If this was be sold in a competitive market you wouldn't see that type of work so that is another indicator to me it is an Eastern Bloc Communist razor produced in some government factory.

Only thing I can say for sure is it is not a Gillette head or handle. Gillette razors of that style aka Tech with a safety guard always had the Gillette name and/or logo on the base plates along with other markings relating to patent info.

Even if it is not Polish there were a lot of razors produced in various Eastern Bloc countries.

In the case of the Soluna those far as I know either said Soluna on them and/or would also have a cresent moon type of logo. Those were produced in the old Czechoslovakia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom