What's new

Help Identifying Razor and Brush

I also posted this is the General Forum sorry for the duplication if thsi is not where it belongs:

Any advice appreciated
A Little back story; as my AD grows from watches to shaving items, my wife and I had discussed the upcoming auction, and my search from some vintage Gillette razors. As my bids for some of the great items kept getting beaten, the discussion moved to something quite surprising. My wife lost her father in the 80's, and my MIL had , of course saved most of my FIL's stuff and my wife had mentioned that she thought he used to wet shave, however had switched to Electric back in the 70's, so there was probably nothing to be found, but she would get with her mom and look when she got a chance. Well the seed had been planted and the daily inquiries by me lasted for about a week, unitl she finally relented and began the search in earnest. Fast forward to today and while driving home from work I called to see if the treasure had been found. Alas she told me the oly thing that was left was some shave cream. I figured an old can of barbasol so I was ready to spend the evening watching the bids for the vintage razors creep upward, and relegated myself to either online or a Saturday at the Antique malls.
When I got home, she ledf me to the Shave den ( very out of character) to show me the Soap ( big deal right ) and this is what was sitting on the counter.

Also somewhat ironic that my avatar title changed to this today LOL
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Along with this was:
Un opened full bottle of Brut 33 by Faberge AS
Un opened package of Old Spice shaving soap and a container never seen before.
A full Can of Brut 33 Shave cream of which still works and feels much more dense that the new stuff

attachment.php

So Christmas does occur in October. My questions are this:

• I assume this is a slim based on what I have seen, anyway to check the date codes
  • The finish is good, how would I sterilize this for use? ( would Barbacide work)
  • There are some small rust spot on inside of missle doors.. How do I remove
  • Plating looks good, should I re-plate?
  • Both packs of blades are Black, are these special? I have never seen black razor blades
  • I assume the adjustments are for blade exposure, I also assume trial and error?
  • Can anyone tell me the brush history?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Looking forward to shaving with this, and the nostagic aspect and well as the memory of her dad make this a great find.

The razor is a Fatboy, nice score! The date code for this razor should be from E to G. They were made in 1958 as well (D date code) but most D models had nickel plated collets which this one does not have.

I'm not too sure about the brush history but I can lend some advice for the cleaning, use, and potential future for the Fatboy. Yes, you can sterilize it in barbicide. After that, it wouldn't hurt to give it a nice soak in hot water (just below boiling) and dish soap paired with some scrubbing with an old toothbrush. It should cleanup very nicely. The rust on the inside of the razor should come off. It is more than likely oxidation of the brass below the surface. If you have some bar keepers friend, this does a great job of removing that stuff. After you get it cleaned up, assess the plating and decide if you want to have it Replated. There is no harm in using a razor that has plating loss, although, exposed brass must be maintained. There are two very reputable replaters in the business right now, [email protected] and [email protected] both are excellent gentlemen to deal with and very professional.

As for using the razor, the adjuster dial with the numbers is used to increase the blade gap providing a milder or more aggressive shaving experience. The black blades are original Gillette blue blades. I've never used one but they sure look cool! Either way, you found a razor that is much discussed here on B&B congratulations!

Last edited:
The razor is a Fatboy, nice score! The date code for this razor should be from E to G. They were made in 1958 as well (D date code) but most D models had nickel plated collets which this one does not have.

Thank you! Anywhere I should look for the Code, So Should I assume in the 60's Then ?

Thank you! Anywhere I should look for the Code, So Should I assume in the 60's Then ?

Sorry I was editing my initial response. You'll want to look on the underside of the razor head for the date code, there is a stamp with the Gillette logo and made in the US as well. It should be somewhere from 1959-61.

I'm not too sure about the brush history but I can lend some advice for the cleaning, use, and potential future for the Fatboy. Yes, you can sterilize it in barbicide. After that, it wouldn't hurt to give it a nice soak in hot water (just below boiling) and dish soap paired with some scrubbing with an old toothbrush. It should cleanup very nicely. The rust on the inside of the razor should come off. It is more than likely oxidation of the brass below the surface. If you have some bar keepers friend, this does a great job of removing that stuff. After you get it cleaned up, assess the plating and decide if you want to have it Replated. There is no harm in using a razor that has plating loss, although, exposed brass must be maintained. There are two very reputable replaters in the business right now, [email protected] and [email protected] both are excellent gentlemen to deal with and very professional.

As for using the razor, the adjuster dial with the numbers is used to increase the blade gap providing a milder or more aggressive shaving experience. The black blades are original Gillette blue blades. I've never used one but they sure look cool! Either way, you found a razor that is much discussed here on B&B congratulations!

Apreciate al your help Capt. Much appreciated. Cleanup went well all rust, no plating loss aparent and all mechanisms work good and tight tolerances The doors need a bit of polishing with some hard water stains but all in all she cleaned up well

Again my thanks!$Fatboy1.jpg$Fatboy2.jpg$Fatboy3.jpg$Fatboy4.jpg$Fatboy5.jpg

Apreciate al your help Capt. Much appreciated. Cleanup went well all rust, no plating loss aparent and all mechanisms work good and tight tolerances The doors need a bit of polishing with some hard water stains but all in all she cleaned up well

Again my thanks!View attachment 509763View attachment 509764View attachment 509765View attachment 509766View attachment 509767

Don't mention it, Sir! Great job on the cleanup it looks great! I'm glad that you have the case and blade dispenser as well, it makes for a nice set. I absolutely love hearing about these stories where people find shaving gear with some kind of connection, very cool!

BTW, did you find the date code? Just curious[emoji2]

Don't mention it, Sir! Great job on the cleanup it looks great! I'm glad that you have the case and blade dispenser as well, it makes for a nice set. I absolutely love hearing about these stories where people find shaving gear with some kind of connection, very cool!

BTW, did you find the date code? Just curious[emoji2]

No Sir I did not Know where to look I must have missed something to look for, how do I find it?

Congratulations Dave - the spring indicator is still RED! This razor was loved in it's day!

Enjoy your shaves...

Nice score. Congrats.

Well done, Sir:thumbup: It should be a fine shaver indeed!

Nice find!

Remember to loosen the bottom knob a quarter turn before you adjust the dial.

Thanks Everyone 1st shave was interesting, # 1 position was like nothing adjusted to 3a little better will try 4-5 tomorrow. Could be the 50 yr old Gillette blades as well, but they look so damn cool. DFS though and thanks for the tip on the adjustment knob Ninteen, appreciate it, I have become so accustom to my Weber that I did not know what to expect

Spoke to my MIL today and of course thanked her profusely:001_smile but she indicated that indeed he purchased it in 1961 but in Christmas of 1962 he switched to electrics ( a present from her ) and shaved that way until moving to cartridges and remained shaving that way until his passing in 1989. So from all I can gather it sat in the case in a box from early 1963 through last night.

Again thanks everyone for your advice and care instructions going to cherish it and a good tribute to my FIL

Last edited:
Top Bottom