What's new

Hello from the Netherlands

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, good to team up with you shaving addicts! In fact on Sunday I usually don't shave but today could not resist...

Welcome to the forum.

My wife and I have been to your country 3 times. It's a beautiful place. So much history. We particularly loved Haarlem.

I have a question for you if you don't mind....

I have a coworker going to the Netherlands this week, what shave soaps/creams can you recommend he look out for? And what type of shops out markets can he get them at?

I'm not sure which city he's going to buy I can get that info pretty quick.

Thanks!

"Never trade what you want most, for what you want in the moment."

Sent from the GnomePhone

Sure! Well, to be honest I think you guys in USA have all the luck when it comes to shaving. I don't beleive we have a lot to add, not in choice nor price. Specifically in vintage razors. But your colleague will probably land at Schiphol Amsterdam and then I would recommend to visit Manandshaving in Haarlem.
Www.manandshaving.nl , spaarwoudestraat 29, Haarlem. They carry everything you need.
My choice right now is Le Père Lucien shaving creme. I specifically like the Fougère. In Holland we peoduce shaving soap as well, De Vergulde Hand, but not my cup of tea.

Need more info, let me know.

Sure! Well, to be honest I think you guys in USA have all the luck when it comes to shaving. I don't beleive we have a lot to add, not in choice nor price. Specifically in vintage razors. But your colleague will probably land at Schiphol Amsterdam and then I would recommend to visit Manandshaving in Haarlem.
Www.manandshaving.nl , spaarwoudestraat 29, Haarlem. They carry everything you need.
My choice right now is Le Père Lucien shaving creme. I specifically like the Fougère. In Holland we peoduce shaving soap as well, De Vergulde Hand, but not my cup of tea.

Need more info, let me know.
That's some great info, thank you! Do the local grocery stores carry shaving sticks and creams as well? I was thinking I could have my coworker get some Palmolive/Wilkinson Sword stick. Maybe some others as well.

But I will definitely have him look out for some LPL [emoji1]

Sent from the GnomePhone

That's some great info, thank you! Do the local grocery stores carry shaving sticks and creams as well? I was thinking I could have my coworker get some Palmolive/Wilkinson Sword stick. Maybe some others as well.

Sent from the GnomePhone
In general many gorcery stores will have the suplies, for sure De vergulde Hand, both soap and sticks. Local drugstores are well assorted and will offer more choices like Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword. When is he coming so I can have a look in the stores before. Honestly I am not fully aware of what the grocery stores carry as I usually get my stuf at Manandshaving, they have another store more in my region.

Last edited:

Sent from the GnomePhone

Did have a look for you. Generally the local drugstores carry Palmolive, de Vergulde Hand, Nivea and Tabac. Safety Razors and DE blades they do not sell and I have not seen any brushes as well.
Local grocery stores do not have a lot, the shaving materials they carry are more in the Gillette Fusion business. Canned shaving foam etc.
So, that is what you in general will find and for most other stuff you need to find a more specialized shaving store.
In Amsterdam I could recommend His barbershop, www.hisamsterdam.nl , site is also in english.

Did have a look for you. Generally the local drugstores carry Palmolive, de Vergulde Hand, Nivea and Tabac. Safety Razors and DE blades they do not sell and I have not seen any brushes as well.
Local grocery stores do not have a lot, the shaving materials they carry are more in the Gillette Fusion business. Canned shaving foam etc.
So, that is what you in general will find and for most other stuff you need to find a more specialized shaving store.
In Amsterdam I could recommend His barbershop, www.hisamsterdam.nl , site is also in english.

Thank you so much! I will pass this on to my buddy. By the way, he will be working in Almelo NL. He has already picked me up some Kruidvat and De Vergulude, so I'm excited to give those a try. I'll see what else he can find there. Thank you again for the info, it's very much appreciated :)

Top Bottom