RR Monster
xXx

Screenshot_20240429_113126_Gallery.jpg

Blackland Vector (AC)
Shield Predator (GEM)
Parker Solo Edge (DE half-blade)
Mossei Mono (injector)

Edit to add:

I also like the Leaf triple, and still use it on occasion for a mindless head shave when I'm in a hurry...but that is rare.
I tried and really wanted to like the Parker SoloEdge but it was just a tad too aggressive and left me with irritation. I might revisit it soon.

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Bison
BladeGillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) [4]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreStirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap
LatherVitos Extra Super Coco (Kilo) [12]
PostClubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
The Bison has been excellent so far. Henson-like, but seems to avoid the couple points of bother I've had with my AL13+ — the Bison shaves smooth and automatic, with no tugging feel at all, and goes right over the mole on the side of my head without any sign I might collect a cut for my trouble.

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle - Still in

#31 GRUME April 2024 - Still in

Date: 04.30.24

Days growth: 8

Head and face shave

Razor: Merkur Progress

Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)

Brush: 1950’s Ever Ready R40 with original pure badger knot.

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Johnson and Johnson on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso green cream

Passes: 2 Plus pickups WTG ATG setting 3 then 1.5

Post Shave Routine and products:

1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2

2 - Cold rinse

3 - Alum block

4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1

5 - Aftershave: Nivea Deep Bourbon and Vanilla

6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Notes: This was a pretty good shave today. I like that vintage Ever Ready, the knot is dense. When my beard is out of control (8 days growth) the Progress makes short work of the lengthy stubble. I don’t use Proraso green often but it’s very enjoyable when I do, I like its performance and that it’s refreshing. This is only my second Nacet blade and I like it well, sharper than the Astra SP and GSB that I normally use. I don’t know if they’re coated, it just says stainless on it so I assume not.

I had some blemish areas from my CPAP that got irritated but other than that it was a close comfortable shave.

Quality: 8.5

Comfort: 8

Enjoyment: 10

Overall: 8.83

Thursday, May 2, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Bison
BladeGillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) [8]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PrePAA Cube
LatherMitchell’s Wool Fat (2024) [11]
PostLustray Blue Spice

Rating
8 / 10

Notes
MWF and Blue Spice make a surprisingly nice pair.

OK Gents:

I've seen every other kind of check-in except "Head Shavers" Shout out; let us know if you are a head shaver. Let us know your special techniques. Let us know if you are bald for real or just like to shave your head. If you are in the mood, let us see a photo of the head. Let us know what problems you have shaving your head.
I am mostly naturally bald. I’d have a horseshoe if I let it grow out.

I normally head shave with a BIC Chrome Platinum mounted on a Holy Black SR-71. Only major issues I have is occasionally missing a stripe of fuzz because I can’t see.
image.jpg

Tonight’s head shave was with my Henson++ and a fresh GSB blade. It was a fantastic shave with just a couple of tiny weepers due to a couple of small bumps….otherwise and extremely comfortable shave. Definitely one of my better shaves with the Henson++ so far.

Saturday, May 4, 2024

Hardware
RazorHenson AL13+
BladeGillette Perma-Sharp [2]
BrushSemogue Pegasus Boar

Software
PrePAA Cube
LatherBarrister & Mann Seville (Sample) [5]
PostLustray Blue Spice

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
Henson and Perma-Sharp is a great combination.

So I’m debating looking for a specific head shaving razor (use my vintage Gillettes currently). Also noted another thread the Henson seems popular. Does anyone actually have anything bad to say about it aside from the weight since everyone seems to headshave with it.

So I’m debating looking for a specific head shaving razor (use my vintage Gillettes currently). Also noted another thread the Henson seems popular. Does anyone actually have anything bad to say about it aside from the weight since everyone seems to headshave with it.

The AL13+ is a great razor for head shaves. I think the Karve Bison might be a touch better, if we’re talking about ideals. Though I’m admittedly still in the honeymoon period with my new Bison, it comes out more forgiving, even smoother and more “automatic” in operation and really well balanced in a way that seems pretty much to offset the negatives of aluminum construction, compared to the Henson. But Karve appears to be something of a gamble on whether you’ll get a razor made or shipped on any kind of clear timeline. If you don’t want to mess with all of that, an AL13+ will do the job consistently and well — and, I’m sure, easy enough to return or sell if it doesn’t work out for some reason.

The Henson does seems to be pickier on blade choice than some of my other razors. Something on the sharper end tends to work best, as far as I’ve seen.

Top Bottom