What's new

HD Rocket versus Aristocrat Junior

At the risk of sparking a controversy, I would contend that an Aristocrat Junior provides a better shave than an HD Rocket. It has more finesse, and I achieve huge success every time I use it. I must point out that the version I have was not the original one, but was introduced in 1949. It is an absolute little gem.

I just used my Aristocrat Junior a day or two ago, an I must say I was very impressed. I don't have a Rocket HD to compare it to, but in all honesty, the Aristocrat Junior is superior to my Fare Tip Rocket.

The 1949 Aristocrat Jr. and the HD Rocket both weigh 71g or in the neighborhood.
The HD head appears lighter while the Aristocrat Jr. looks to carry a lot of that weight in the head, which seems to offer a really smooth cutting motion.
The 1948 Aristocrat Jr. weighs 63g with a hollow knob, but similar heavy head.

I've been using the 1948 Aristocrat Jr. the last few days and will agree that both the '48 & '49 are fine razors.
Showing some blade and having some weigh is a great combo that works well for me.

L to R: 1948 Aristocrat Jr., 1949 Aristocrat Jr. & HD Rocket.
$AJr.png

The Aristocrat Jr. has the same head as the 16. No wonder you like it. That head is usually judged to be the best of the English Gillette Rocket action razors which are the pinnacle of Gillette SB creations. The Junior is indeed a fine shaver.

The Aristocrat Jr. has the same head as the 16.

The 49 junior is the same head as the Aristocrat #16, and the 48 junior has the same head as the Aristocrat #21. I have a 49 junior, an HD500 and two #58s, which have the same head as the HD500 and a different knurled handle. The junior is my preference until I can lay my hands on a #16.

Cheers, George

The 49 junior is the same head as the Aristocrat #16, and the 48 junior has the same head as the Aristocrat #21. I have a 49 junior, an HD500 and two #58s, which have the same head as the HD500 and a different knurled handle. The junior is my preference until I can lay my hands on a #16.

Cheers, George

I'm loving the '48 A. Jr. so now I must look for a #21. Thank you Geoge, for this info.

Here's some photos of a Super Speed (56g) on the left, a Rocket (71g) in the middle, and an Aristocrat Junior (also 71g) on the right. I haven't shaved with any of them enough times (just got the AJ) to compare the shaves. But the difference between these three in fit and finish, and the quality of the movement of the mechanism soon becomes apparent after some quick handling and observation. I think that the AJ is definitely the winner (quality wise)!

KK016202.JPG
KK016205.JPG
KK016208.JPG
KK016209.JPG

One of my Made in England Juniors is my go to razor. It's the one I use the most in my rotation to the extent I have a rotation. It's been my go-to for at least 5 years, maybe more. I have English Rockets as well. Four of them. Different weights. They compare very well with the Junior but I keep coming coming back to the Junior. One of the great razors.

Top Bottom