What's new

Having my doubts...

Pretty sure I set a world record for ruining an edge. Fourth shave I can't shave hair of the back of my knuckle. Not sure what I did but evidently I did something terribly strong. I just left the house, won't be home for a month. Not much I can do but go back to my Safety Razor. Not quite sure if it was a smart thing on my part diving into Straight Shaving beiorng a trucker.

David, take your time and don't worry. The learning cure is steep and things happen.
You could look into a Feather Artist Club straight, replaceable blades so you don't have to worry about stropping and honing and all that. I have the Feather SS and enjoy it just as much as my regular straights, it's one amazing shaver.

Probably rolled the edge is all. It should hone out fairly easily. If you are uncomfortable doing it, send the blade to a razor "honemeister", not a knife sharpener. Guys that sharpen knives apparently put a completely different edge on a blade than razor honers.

Good luck. What make/model razor is it?

Probably rolled the edge is all. It should hone out fairly easily. If you are uncomfortable doing it, send the blade to a razor "honemeister", not a knife sharpener. Guys that sharpen knives apparently put a completely different edge on a blade than razor honers.to up

Good luck. What make/model razor is it?

It's a Dovo 5/8 Pearlex

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
After you get home get your straight fixed, and maybe pick up a shavette or a Feather AC for a back up so you don't have to resort to a DE if you have a equipment failure.

Once you get the hang of it you can maintain the edge of a straight quite easily even when on the road...my condolences on your Pearlex, it has happened to most us at least once;).

Did the same thing to my Dovo Pearlex, just as quickly as you... Had to bite the bullet & send it back for a touch-up. Don't touch that edge w/ anything other than hair. I don't know what you did to dull it, but make sure to watch videos & read about stropping while it's out for the touch-up. My goof-up was to do a TNT on a shave-ready razor. Part of the learning curve is to read quite a bit. Don't even think of giving up though, you'd be depriving yourself of too much enjoyment down the road. Keep the DE for times like these............. till you get 2 Str8s ;-)

As some of the others said, its a bit of a learning curve, you're not the first one to toast an edge and won't be the last.

The nice thing is it can be honed right back into perfect working order and there are plenty of guys around here who can help you through it.

Oh and a big +1 to a feather for an alternate, they are great!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have read the TNT shouldn't dull a razor( thumb nail test) if dragged lightly across.

Thanks all for your positive comments. Won't be able to do anything until I get home. I'll place an order with Straight Razor Design so it is waiting for me when I arrive home. Might order another straight plus the Feather System. I'll have to send my Pearlex back to get rehoned. Can nicks in a strip cause the edge to roll? Got a few on either end of strop but none appear deep at all, just real small nicks.

The nicks won't cause the edge to roll, but the nicks are a sign that your stropping technique isn't quite there yet (and is why we start with a cheap strop so we don't shred a $80+ Miller).
The nick simply means that you rolled the blade while it was still in motion and moved from a stropping motion to a honing motion. Of course, a honing motion doesn't work on a hanging strop :wink:

That can and will dull the edge... depending on how badly, it could strop out, or it might need a touchup on the stones.

Rounding the edge is normally from one of three things... Excess slack in the strop, lifting the spine or rolling the blade on the edge rather than the spine, or too much pressure (same effect as excess slack).
Too much pressure and excess slack allow the strop to surround the spine and edge. The strop surface should be as flat as possible, and any flexing in the strop should be at the spine.

Sorry to go against the grain (pun intended) on this one, but I'd stick with the "real" straights and go with your recommendation of having a second straight available. You didn't do anything out of the normal, and things happen.

What strop did you end up going with?

Sorry to go against the grain (pun intended) on this one, but I'd stick with the "real" straights and go with your recommendation of having a second straight available. You didn't do anything out of the normal, and things happen.

What strop did you end up going with?

I got the modular paddle strop from Straight Razor Design. Thought it would bode well in my travels.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Agree with the others. You probably rolled the edge a bit when you stropped it.

A paddle works well, particulary if you also use paste. If you do use paste, you should have two or more paddles, though, the better one unpasted. Keep pressure very very light. It is a little late for that now, but when you get your razor back honed, strop more carefully. Remember, spine leads, edge trails. At the end of the stroke, flip the EDGE outward, keeping the spine against the strop. Don't go off the end. Keep the spine always against the leather. Don't "bend" the razor against the edge of the strop. I prefer a wider and longer strop than most. I really dislike short paddles. In fact, I often make my own out of old hanging strops by simply glueing them to a nice flat piece of wood or whatever.

Two or more razors is a good idea. I, too, recommend against the shavette type razor, but opinions are like, well, like opinions. You might like it. I don't. I don't like the feel of them. They just aren't rigid and monolithic like a true straight. I enjoy the stropping, and when necessary, the honing. I dislike throwaway blades. It's an individual thing. If possible, find someone who will let you try his out before buying your own.

I am certain that my stropping technique is suspect. Too much pressure on the blade treating like its a pocket knife. Got carried away.

Top Bottom