What's new

Having a land-line in the USA

Has the time come to cut the cord?

My home phone is the cheapest basic service I can get. No caller ID, no long distance service, metered service - only XX number of outgoing calls per month, no three way line, no call waiting. I have a few phones in the house with one plugged into an answering machine.

I use my cell phone 99.9% of the time. I never make outgoing calls from my land line. My family and friends do not call my land line.

For the sake of not feeling obligated to list my cell number on business documents, and for the basic comfort of knowing if the power goes out my land line should still work, I've kept it.

The last few months aside, my home phone basically rings to the machine and I rarely receive a message. Occasionally a doctor's office will call and remind me of an appointment or I find a message from a wrong number.

I have been getting robo-dialed like crazy. My wife left the phone off the hook for several days because of it. I actually noticed because it had become so frequent and pervasive that phone not ringing for an entire evening surprised me.

Occasionally I'll answer the home phone and the one out of six calls that is not an immediate click ends up being someone from a boiler room who mispronounces my name and starts rambling.

Now, I personally enjoy this. I'm not delinquent on my obligations. So- I'm not getting true debt collector calls. I have however, received calls claiming that I'm four months behind on credit card XYZ. It's different sometimes and almost never a card I actually have. They name a brand or a company that rings a bell- such as I've seen their commercial to get a credit card. Sometimes it's an honest survey or Am Vets calling to see if I have anything to put out for pick up.

The ones that are obviously phishing calls are my favorite. I'll keep them on the line for as long as possible. I'll ramble on about a documentary I saw on Netflix and ask them if they like shows like that. "Do you have Netflix?" hahaha. Sometimes I'll turn the table and ask them about their family and how the weather is wherever they happen to be calling from.

One guy I kept on the line for a solid hour. I told him that he sounded ambitious and had a solid grasp of the English language. Eventually I even offered him a job. "How would you like to come out and work for me here!?" Always in a loud enthusiastic tone. I told him I'd set him up with a job calling and selling things legitimately and that I was very excited that he had called.

Maybe it's cruel. For the number of potentially fraudulent calls I actually receive, I don't feel bad about fooling around with someone once in a while. The alternative could be horror. I imagine that someone actually falls into the phony call and actually gives out personal information or credit card or check numbers over the phone. I see my little ramblings as personally amusing and as providing a service to others. While I have these crooks tied up on the line they're not calling little old ladies and intimidating them into doing anything harmful.

I had a woman call recently and tell me, very seriously, that I would be arrested if I didn't make a payment on the XYZ account. I had no such account. I started making disconnected statements and comments. She said, "you need to take care of this today because we've called the police about your delinquent account. Get your check book and let us make a payment over the phone." To which I replied. "You know, Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. 'Cause they're fast... Actually my headlights are starting to go out. I need to get them refilled. Later today, I'm going dancing. The truth is though, I don't like to wear shoes. It's crazy. I'm so glad you called because I thought my line went down in the last wind storm. I have two dogs. Listen to them bark when I knock on the wall... Did you hear that. They think someone's at the door. Wait, I need to give them water." Then I run water really load by the receiver. Meanwhile she's trying to break in and interrupt. NO- I continue, "guess what my favorite color is!........" Priceless..... " can't decide can you... ok I'l guess your favorite color- blue... red.... green... chartreuse..." which I continue as long as possible until I can't think of names of other colors...

Once I did it on speaker phone, and it was my phone company trying to sell me high speed internet. My wife is in the room listening because naturally I pause the TV for these kinds of calls. "Why is your internets better?" I asked. The reply is canned and I immediately interrupt. "So I ca get the WiFi too? and connect my toaster and laptop and cell phone and tablet and TV?" uhhhh yes sir WiFi. laptop, yes. "What about the toaster though? I really want that thing online you know." uhhmm I guess so sir. If you have a internet toaster. "Are you mocking me! I'm trying to evaluate what you're offering here." no sir. no. "Who installs this WiFi?" We can do it for a fee. "Who would come out? Have you done a background check on them?" Oh yes sir we only send qualified technician. "because the last guy asked to use the toilet and I don't think he washed his hands." on and on random and relentless. Finally, they ask when they could sign me up. "I'm not going to sign up." Do you mind if I ask why sir? "Well, alright, but DON'T TELL ANYONE. promise?" ok I won't tell anyone. "PROMISE!" I promise sir. "I'm not going to pay for internets, the neighbor pays and I connect to his signal just fine. But DON'T TELL HIM because I don't want him coming over and asking to borrow sugar or anything thinking I owe him one." By then my wife is crying and insists I hang up.
It's all just fooling around. I don't leech my neighbor's internet either.

I don't generally as a rule play this kind of game with people who are just working. The phone company had called hundreds of times prior and refused to accept, "no thank you" as an answer. If someone calls and isn't a fraud or trying to get me to sign up for something silly like, "an amazing business opportunity" or "debt consolidation" then I treat them courteously and politely. No long stories or rambling nonsense.

In the end though, how many of you have cut the land line and how long ago?

What may be the pros and cons of doing so? Wouldn't I have to give out my cell phone number then when doing business or for filling out forms? I don't want to pass out my cell number to the bank, the doctor's office, the insurance company, etc.... Will I start getting the crank calls and robo dial weirdos on my cell phone if I cut the home line?

Ahhh,, I can't wait until the phone rings again..

Last edited:
Well, I kind of cut the cord. I got rid of my phone and cable service, bought an ooma for voice over internet, a roku box, neftlix subscription ($8/mo), and internet service only from my local cable provider. I get better phone service than I ever did and hooked it into my existing wiring so I can use all my phone jacks. When I got ooma there was no monthly charge - I think they charge $4 a month now. So, I get my phone, TV/Movie service, and high speed internet for the price of the internet service plus the $8/mo for netflix. It's worked out just fine for us & Roku has tons of free stuff available. As always YMMV.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Priceless!

At work, I had the "Company that takes care of our copier" call and ask for the model number of our copier. Politely informed her "we send all copies next door to the abbey where the monk scribes everything by hand. If we need color copies, they have a fellow that does wicked illuminated manuscript." She then ask if I could transfer the call. :lol:

We still have our land line and it gets some productive use about every day.

Been taking that Ritalin very long? :biggrin1: Seriously, I've had both my home and office phones with Vonage for about 6 years and now that I'm semi-retired, may go to cell only for my business. Will probably keep Vonage at the house as the wife is constantly on the phone.

Ron

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
NO- I continue, "guess what my favorite color is!........" Priceless..... " can't decide can you... ok I'l guess your favorite color- blue... red.... green... chartreuse..." which I continue as long as possible until I can't think of names of other colors...

You really need to make some handy lists and keep them by the phone. The list goes on and on ...

201 obscure colours
Every country, and its capital city
Your favourite lines from Paradise Lost and The Canterbury Tales

The list goes on and on ...

I haven't had a land-line or a personal cell phone in a couple years. One of my work perks is an unlimited cell phone that we're allowed to use for personal and business so that is all I have.

Priceless!

At work, I had the "Company that takes care of our copier" call and ask for the model number of our copier. Politely informed her "we send all copies next door to the abbey where the monk scribes everything by hand. If we need color copies, they have a fellow that does wicked illuminated manuscript." She then ask if I could transfer the call. :lol:
The office ladies where I used to work called those calls the "phoner toner guys" They also had trash bag and light bulb scammers nearly every day.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My house in Manila, Philippines has a land line (mostly for fax purposes), but in the US, we dropped the land line and went with cell phones about 10 years ago.

I do have a phone in my home, a Rotary Dial phone, with a bell ringer, but it's a blue tooth battery operated one which pairs with my cell phone whenever I walk in the door.

$PortORotaryBLK-01-L-1.jpg

I never turn on my cell phone.

Only turn it on to make out of the dialing area calls. I never answer the cell when I forget to turn it off and it rings as no one I know has the number so who ever it is, I don't want to talk to them.

I rarely answer my land line.

No interest in hearing what someone else has to say and since the number has been unlisted for the past 25 years anyone who calls has a wrong number or it is someone I don't want to talk to anyway.

I never answer my door either.

I'm not that fond of the people that live near me (in the neighborhood) and no one knows where I live so if someone knocks no matter who it is I don't want to talk to them.

I do not have a door bell so anyone is going to have to rap their knuckles on the door. The house is so large that I never hear anyone knocking.

I have a fence around the front. There is NO gate at the street you have to walk up the drive way to find the gate. The gate has a sign on it that says "Dog in Yard" This keeps most everyone away because they can't find a gate to get in and the fence is a picket with points on it which sits on a short retaining wall so it is 6 feet tall at the sidewalk but only 4 feet tall in the yard. IF they find the gate most people do not want to find out where in the yard the dog is hiding.

This is the most UN-welcoming place I have ever lived in

I just love living here.

My house in Manila, Philippines has a land line (mostly for fax purposes), but in the US, we dropped the land line and went with cell phones about 10 years ago.

I do have a phone in my home, a Rotary Dial phone, with a bell ringer, but it's a blue tooth battery operated one which pairs with my cell phone whenever I walk in the door.

View attachment 287629

I like that.

On my Christmas list now!!

thanks!

I hate modern corded phones that don't have enough substance to stay in place when the cord goes taught. That looks old school and solid.

View attachment 287629

I had no idea such a thing existed! I discontinued my land line about 8 years ago and don't miss it at all. I convinced my mother to do the same last year, but she's mentioned she might want to reconnect the land line. This might be a better option. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks! :thumbup1:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i like the fact that you "PAUSE" the tv haha. poor mute button. i absolutely HATE talking on the phone. always have, my whole life. i just wont do it any longer than i have to. there hasn't been a land line in my home for bout 9-10 years. once we all got cell phones the land line vanished. and yes you will still get robo callers. but i've never had a problem about putting my cell number down for anything. its my only contact, besides the internet, with the outside world. and i NEVER answer the phone if it doesn't pop up with someones name, meaning that i have them in my contact list. thats what voice mail is for. leave a message, if i feel like it i'll call you back. and i only have people in my contact list that i actually want to hear from every now and then....so and so i met at that one guys party.....sorry, leave a message. i just dread the telephone conversations. i'll talk to you in person all day, put a phone in my hand and its a 2 min convo.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I like that.
On my Christmas list now!!
thanks!
I hate modern corded phones that don't have enough substance to stay in place when the cord goes taught. That looks old school and solid.

I had no idea such a thing existed! I discontinued my land line about 8 years ago and don't miss it at all. I convinced my mother to do the same last year, but she's mentioned she might want to reconnect the land line. This might be a better option. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks! :thumbup1:

They have a cheaper option which is just a cell phone in the rotary dial housing. You still get a dial tone, you still get the bell ringer, and you still dial with the rotary dial, but you put a SIM card in instead of blue toothing it to your cell phone.

You are a genius. I literally laughed out loud. You should video it and put them on speaker so we can enjoy it too.
It always feels good to stick it to those scammers.

I got rid of land line two years ago and only kept DSL. I do not use cell at home either. Instead, I make outgoing calls using gmail phone service free.

Last edited:
The only time I had a land line in the past 5 years was when I set up my cable, it was cheaper to get the bundle. After that I dropped it and just use the cell.

That was an enjoyable read. I just got Ooma Telo. Before that, I haven't had a land line in a couple years. Also, I signed up for a Google Voice phone number and generally give that out. If spammers call my Google Voice number, I can block them and they get a real sounding, "I'm sorry but this number is no longer in service. <Beep> I'm sorry but this number is no longer in service.".

After reading your post, I have so many fun ideas. I always have people calling trying to get credit card info, to lower my interest rates. I may have to have some fun with that. : )

Top Bottom