What's new

Have Synthetic over taken Badgers?

@Mullen88 I know you like the Synthetic over the Badger but here is my take on it!

They both have their pluses and minuses:

Badger: I love the old school, old world tradition of it. Also, badger hair has more scratch and gives you that exfoliation and scratch that a synthetic does not which I love. Badger hair tends to get better with time and changes it performance which I like as well. It evolves up and down!! Also, badger hair is a little unpredictable so every time you get a new brush you don't know what you are going to get which I find interesting and fun. It can be unpredictable both good and bad. Nothing matches the beauty of a handmade badger as well.

Synthetic: Soft, holds less lather, easier to load, brush will never change, doesn't smell. Lathers probably better than a Badger. Cheaper! Will not shed. Synthetic is kinda of perfect and boring to me.

I like both but For the tradition, exfoliation, scratch, evolvement and gradual change of the brush and the unpredictability, I like a Badger over the Synthetic!!!

Last edited:
I have a Simpson chubby 2 Manchurian that's a wonderful brush, looks stunning, and performs outstanding. It holds and releases lather perfect and when it is splayed it's warm to the face after it's soak in the mini hot tub (sink). That being said I have a couple of synthetic brushes one being a Stirling 2 band black and white knot that cost 12.00 and I will put it up against any brush on the market on making lather. It's fast and efficient and does the same thing every time. If a soap doesn't lather with it throw it in the garbage can because it's not working with any other brush either. It's that consistent, I haven't thrown out any soaps either. It is a trade off, it's not gonna be warm to the face after a few seconds to the face in the first lathering. It not gonna whip your facial hair into submission because of its dominate backbone. It's soft, fast lathering, consistent, fast drying, and cheap. The other one is a WOLF WHISKERS and it's in the mail and should be here in a couple of days. I will take time to use and review carefully and report back after the warm fuzzy new feeling has worn off. That being said if I was showing off my top shelf prize winning brush that's gonna get your attention and performs just the same, it's my Simpson Manchurian. I was have been a badger junkie for a long time, trying boar but not really sold and simply dismissing synthetic as some new age take over that's inferior to tradition and then decided to try this one because of the price and see what all the talks about. This one in particular is a winner.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom