What's new

Hats

I called into Hills Hats yesterday. They don't have their shop open yet but have a shop front at the factory still operating.
I had my hands on a Milford and liked it a lot but got The Squatter oilkin hat instead.
The purpose for this hat was winter walking of the dogs on Petone beach (in windy Wellington) so needed to handle wind and rain. The squatter has a chin cord so went with that one. The brim is semi stiff but the top is soft and crushable, so can got flat in a bag the pushed back into shape.

They did not have the oilskin in the shop except the Milford but just grabbed one out of the factory for me.
They hope to have their shop open by the end of May so I'll be back to check them out.

View attachment 655234

View attachment 655235

View attachment 655236

Whoa! So serious! I have an Filson oil-skin hat that got several years ago but it is usually so warm here in southern Texas that I only use it a few times a year. So sad. It is camouflaged so people can't see me usually!:laugh:

Mike

I have a Goorin (since 1895!) flat cap that I wear all the time, a Donegal for winter, and an oiled canvas fedora/western hybrid made by Bailey that I picked up in Montana that I wear for hunting and fishing and when the weather really gets rambunctious. Couple of ball caps that I wear in summer and that is about it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Whoa! So serious! I have an Filson oil-skin hat that got several years ago but it is usually so warm here in southern Texas that I only use it a few times a year. So sad. It is camouflaged so people can't see me usually!:laugh:

Mike

Hey that's me smiling. :biggrin:
Did you say a camouflage oilskin? I would like to see a photo of that.

I don't see this hat getting too much action here either but if I get to wear it a good handful times a year it will be worth it.
I must be sick as I'm looking forward to a rainy day to test it out to the fullest.

I don't see this hat getting too much action here either but if I get to wear it a good handful times a year it will be worth it.
I must be sick as I'm looking forward to a rainy day to test it out to the fullest.

I will get one as soon as I can. House sitting for my son right now. Maybe tomorrow. I sure do like it a lot though.

Mike

OK, here you go. You asked for a picture!:tongue_sm

$IMG_1635.jpg

$IMG_1638.jpg

Mike

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Cool hat Mike. :thumbup1:

I have a couple of Stoney Creek real-tree camo hunting hats. These are not waterproof but the cap hat has great breathing and wicking properties it stops it raining inside the hat. I do have a few blaze orange hats for when I want to seen in the bush.

$20160509_164355.jpg

$20160512_173650.jpg

I have a beautiful Herbert Johnson fedora, but I got tired of people calling me Indy wherever I go. For the same reason I gave up wearing Wested jackets and Alden boots and carrying bullwhips, repurposed gas mask bags as satchels, and Webley revolvers.

And, by the way, the most famous and iconic fedora of all time: Indy's custom-bashed by HF himself Herbert Johnson. Please not the knife-sharp front pinch and that the crown has no taper at all, which makes it almost like a top hat in appearance. Almost all fedoras that have been peddled as Indy hats, including the official and very crappy (wool felt!) Stetson, have horrible taper and don't resemble the original hat at all. But as I said, wear any fedora and people will call you Indy anyway. :tongue_sm

proxy.php

Hi,

I wore a brown Adam fedora with an A2 flight jacket *before* the first Indy movie came out. I still do, although both the jacket and the hat are not the same ones now as they were then. ;)

Stan

strop

Now half as wise
wear any fedora and people will call you Indy anyway.

Only if you are young, have a 3 day growth and a leather jacket. I wear one every day have have never been called Indy! Maybe it's the white hair!!:lol:

$ZZ-Top-2.jpg

Frank Beard with NO Beard and No Hat , Billy Gibbon's Rock'n an Open Crown , and Dusty Hill in a Beret ...
ZZ TOP ! The Little Ole Band from Texas ... .

Last edited: