What's new

Hats

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Pulling off a hat is all about confidence.

Yeah and I lack it with caps. I was thinking of a cheese cutter or a baker boy. Just not confident it will suit me.

I have my eye on a winter cap, this caddy cap may be the one.

$caddy cap.png

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, you can pull that off easily.

Thanks Owen, I hope so. I am still waiting for Hills Hats to open their new shop in Petone next to their factory, so I can try one on.
When I was in there buying the oilskin a few weeks back the lady said they were hoping to open by the end of May.

Anyone know a good place to buy hats in North Carolina, Winston area? Looking for classic kind, wide brim not fedora.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks Owen, I hope so. I am still waiting for Hills Hats to open their new shop in Petone next to their factory, so I can try one on.
When I was in there buying the oilskin a few weeks back the lady said they were hoping to open by the end of May.
Great news.

As a young man I never wore a hat. Follicley challenged I have found that a hat will keep me warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. I have a Tilley for the summer. In the winter I rotate between what I am doing. I have several Irish Tweed caps and fedoras.

The best summer time hat I had was an Orvis straw hat. Unfortunately the ocean claimed it while surf fishing. I need to replace it.

Last edited:
I have an acquaintance who I had never seen without a hat for a few years. Because there was some thick hair spillage from under the hat, I always figured he had a full head of hair. Imagine my surprise when one day he took his hat off and he was as bald as an egg besides that thick fringe circling his melon. I laughed so hard at him I don't think he will ever forgive me. He'll never hear the end of this!

Please don't mistake my amusement for being mean or for being prejudiced against baldness, I could not care less about anyone's state of hairiness, but the flawless optical deception, which this guy had pulled off for years just cracked me up.

strop

Now half as wise
Yeah and I lack it with caps. I was thinking of a cheese cutter or a baker boy. Just not confident it will suit me.

I have my eye on a winter cap, this caddy cap may be the one.

View attachment 659192

That's a good looking cap.

For those that don't think they can wear a cap or hat, I would suggest starting in the cooler weather, when it's more "acceptable" to wear a hat. Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature, and in fact, it becomes more functional in summer when you can sport a nice straw hat to shade the eyes and keep the sun off your ears, face and neck.

If you need an excuse to wear a newsboy cap, get an old British convertible with which to drive around, leaking oil and losing finely crafted parts. Without the cap you'll look incomplete when thumbing your way home!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you need an excuse to wear a newsboy cap, get an old British convertible with which to drive around, leaking oil and losing finely crafted parts. Without the cap you'll look incomplete when thumbing your way home!
It is my dream to have a TR5 or 6 one day. The first job will be putting in electrical that works.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

Is there a hat you do like?

Let me guess.........

Is there a hat you do like?

Let me guess.........

Where do I imply I don't like hats? In my cynical post about British sports cars? I wear ball caps, newspaper boy caps, have a British SAS beret, and the aforementioned Herbert Johnson fedora and a neat straw Panama hat. I also wear frequently a boonie hat during outdoor activities. A friend gave me a fez, but I don't want to be gunned down by a madman.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Where do I imply I don't like hats? In my cynical post about British sports cars? I wear ball caps, newspaper boy caps, have a British SAS beret, and the aforementioned Herbert Johnson fedora and a neat straw Panama hat. I also wear frequently a boonie hat during outdoor activities. A friend gave me a fez, but I don't want to be gunned down by a madman.

No not the British sports car post by itself (I did find that humorous by the way). I just saw a few post on what appeared to me as hats you did not like, so was interested in what you do like.

I really don't have a hat collection, as I have stayed with baseball caps for summer and beanies in winter. Time for a change.
We have had a mild Autumn here but winter is about to blow in tomorrow, so the time is right for a new hat.