What's new

Hats

Summer: ball caps, but with cigar logos.
Winter: flat caps, leather or tweed

I love the fedora look, but it doesn't work driving a car or when the wing comes up.

I can see myself wearing a hat in the summer because of its superior sun protection. But in the winter, the beanie wins hands down because I need the ear protection. With a hat, I guess that would have to be handled with ear muffs?

Summer: ball caps, but with cigar logos.
Winter: flat caps, leather or tweed

I love the fedora look, but it doesn't work driving a car or when the wing comes up.

I assume you mean wind...extreme wind is a problem even for ball caps. How did the cowboys handle the wind?

A properly fit fedora, especially with a leather sweat band, takes way more than just some wind to blow off. The leather actually warms and conforms to your head shortly after you put it on, almost like it's tightening down a bit. Much more secure than a baseball cap.

Hi,

Yes, a proper fit. Like the kind one used to get in a hat store. One needs a hotblock to do the job, so any form of online ordering from stock won't get one there.

The custom hatters send a fitting jig which one uses to form one's head shape then lock it down and send it back. The hatter then makes a template for each customer from the jig. When the hat is made, the template is used to form the final shape, and one then is sent a properly fitted hat.

Anyway, once the hat is properly fitted, it takes a lot of wind to loosen it. Then there are windstrings to anchor the hat to the collar of an overcoat, or the windstring buttonhole on the back of a suit jacket collar (which no suitmakers add these days).

Finally, there is the trick of angling one's head slightly into the wind such that the wind pushes against the brim in a downwards direction. Watch the actors in the old movies do this. ;)

And, I can wear a fedora in most cars. It is a piece of cake in a pickup or an SUV, and even an XUV. The only cars I ever had where I could not were open roadsters like a Morgan, MGTC, or Lotus Seven. They were such than I couldn't even wear a ballcap. Those needed something which strapped on, like a helmet. ;)

Stan

A properly fit fedora, especially with a leather sweat band, takes way more than just some wind to blow off. The leather actually warms and conforms to your head shortly after you put it on, almost like it's tightening down a bit. Much more secure than a baseball cap.
I think we need a screw on.

$19.jpg

Hank Williams (Sr)

Hats are fantastic and I have fallen out of the habit in the past 6 months (as a colleague pointed out) so I've begun wearing my Akubra fedora again.

For my city suits and my three piece tweed suits I have three bowlers (two Christys bowlers, one wool and one fur felt, and one brown bowler (I forget the make)). I also have a sand coloured bamboo bowler and now a made in Ecuador straw bowler for summers with a three piece linen suit or lighter summer suits when I'm on campus in spring/summer. I think we used to have a bowler thread here in the Haberdashery with photos of me wearing a bowler.

In the summer I tend to wear lighter hats like boaters with blazers or my several panamas (including a Christys foldable for travel).

I have a flat cap/Ivy cap for when I'm in a Norfolk jacket at the skeet range. You could say I have a love of suits, jackets and ties, and hats are another terrible AD! Girlfriends, for some reason, love me in hats and one used to encourage the bowler and fedora look as much as possible and it helps that I enjoy wearing hats anyway.

$s200.jpg$78UIUtyB.jpeg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hats are fantastic and I have fallen out of the habit in the past 6 months (as a colleague pointed out) so I've begun wearing my Akubra fedora again.

For my city suits and my three piece tweed suits I have three bowlers (two Christys bowlers, one wool and one fur felt, and one brown bowler (I forget the make)). I also have a sand coloured bamboo bowler and now a made in Ecuador straw bowler for summers with a three piece linen suit or lighter summer suits when I'm on campus in spring/summer. I think we used to have a bowler thread here in the Haberdashery with photos of me wearing a bowler.

In the summer I tend to wear lighter hats like boaters with blazers or my several panamas (including a Christys foldable for travel).

I have a flat cap/Ivy cap for when I'm in a Norfolk jacket at the skeet range. You could say I have a love of suits, jackets and ties, and hats are another terrible AD! Girlfriends, for some reason, love me in hats and one used to encourage the bowler and fedora look as much as possible and it helps that I enjoy wearing hats anyway.

View attachment 647416

That's a smart looking hat. Here is the bowler thread you referenced

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/173588-Finally-wore-my-Bowler/page2?highlight=bowler

Nice Panama Michael ! Thanks for the pic ! Oh yeah , Spring is in the air , and Summer isn't far behind , here , anyway . I'm in need of a New Straw myself . I love my Akubra , and actually feel naked going out without a hat after all these years . And boy they help to keep you warm in winter , and cooler in the summer . Stay Cool ! Or Warm as the case may be . :001_smile

My current collection includes:
Kangol grey litefelt porkpie
scala crushable woven "straw" porkpie
another Summerweight Porkpie Kangol "sound wave"
LLBean Moose River teardrop fedora by Stetson
A Melbourne Hats center dent straw fedora

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I really like the Milford. Wish they were local to me. lol

Yes the Milford does look good.

Their site is not set up for buying online but they say to contact them with your request. It looks like they will have a on line store up and running later this year. I find the photos on the site ok but that can't be replaced by seeing and touching in a shop.

I found a few video reviews, that show them better. This guy has a shop in Aussie and has done a few short review videos.

Here is the Milford by Hills Hats.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MENTION=57924]Shave_Rat[/MENTION] - I was looking at their site and there was a comments from people who had bought their hats from around the world including the USA. I selected USA retailers from their site and there are only three in the US, all in California.
This is one the first USA retailer I clicked on. http://www.villagehatshop.com/brands/199/1/hills-hats-of-new-zealand.html

Oh, cool. I'd been on that site before, and the price is still reasonable in US dollars. I think I know what will start my Summer hat collection! lol

I know its Straw Time , but I ordered a Stetson Premier Stratoliner in Cornhill , and called about a Borsalino , but I need to make sure if I do the color is right . Some Shops may offer sales on felts to make room for the Panamas . Heads Up !