What's new

Haircut Argh!

I bought myself a Wahl clipper and taught myself how to cut and style my own hair. I don't like going to places like Supercuts or Great Clips...you get what you pay for...at least that was the case for me the one time I went..got a crappy uneven cut. I'm growing my hair out now so when it gets to the point where it needs styled that's beyond my ability, I'll be willing to put forth the $ for a good barber who knows what he/she is doing.

Went searching for a barber 4yrs ago . Hoping I wasn't the only one looking for what they remembered as a kid with dad. I found one guy who was outstanding but took in avg 45min per person to cut. Then I got lucky as a fellow opened a men's modern barber shop in the town next to me. Yay I do my happy dance!!! Then unexpectedly they closed 3 months ago. Luckily they had a Facebook page and I posted on it for any of the barbers to let me know where they ended up. One contacted me and I now drive 20miles each way once a month.

I bought myself a Wahl clipper and taught myself how to cut and style my own hair. I don't like going to places like Supercuts or Great Clips...you get what you pay for...at least that was the case for me the one time I went..got a crappy uneven cut. I'm growing my hair out now so when it gets to the point where it needs styled that's beyond my ability, I'll be willing to put forth the $ for a good barber who knows what he/she is doing.

Same here. I can trim it, shape it and layer it after some 5 years of practice. I'll only go to a barber or stylist if I'm pressed for time and can't wait another day because I can't cut it as quickly as someone else because I can't see the back of my head.

Gotta find a barber, and not a stylist. I suffered through chains until I was old enough to pay for my own cut.

I pay $18 a cut, and sometimes wait up to two hours for my barber. They don't take reservations, so the best I can do is to shoot him a text asking if he's in the shop that day.

Wouldn't trade my barber for anyone else. First few times, he explained my hair to me (growth directions, cowlicks, parting, etc). Now, I sit down and he gets to it. We generally talk about women, sports, religion, politics... Just about anything. It's nice having someone who knows both your hair and your personality. I'm constantly teased as the pomade aficionado!

If he ever swapped shops, you betcha I'd follow him. In my experience, barbers need to be a blend of precision and style. Old school barbers give you more precision, often resulting in the military cuts and sharp lines. New school gives you more style, expecting you to use some sort of styling aid. Find the barber who rests in the middle, and don't let him go. Bribery, satellite tag, whatever you have to do... :laugh:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Last time in want to a barber (actually he came to me) was in July 2003, when I got about 18" cut off for Locks of Love. I've been buzzing it off myself ever since.

for the longest time I had my wife cut my hair. After a while it got to seem like a burden so I bought the Wahl do it yourselfer and would use the attachments and cut my hair on the deck in the warm weather and the garage in the cold. As I got balder I gave up and started shaving the whole head. Now I spend more on shaving soap and blades, but I love the feeling of a smooth dome.

Depends on where you are I guess. Most barbershops around here are a 30-90 minute wait depending on when you go. Could be 0 min depending on the time/day though. I don't worry about it. Especially when they had out free beers.

I would like to agree with the poster who said a barber butchered his haircut. I have had the same experience when I was younger. We lived in this town in the middle of Missouri and there were a few barbers but of course my dad dropped me off at the place and told me to tell the guy I just wanted a 'regular' haircut. I didn't have a clue about such things then. It is what you see people calling a businessman's cut these days. Anyroad, this was an experience.

He was an old military barber and now that I look back at it, he was really making your cuts match either; flat top, crew cut, flat with a landing strip, or a modified high and tight. The latter is what I was getting when I told him regular. Oh, it was not shaved tight on the sides like you would normally think but the entire cut was done with clippers and was MUCH shorter on the sides than a normal tapered business cut. I got away from there as fast as I could after I stared paying my own money. And he was a grouch to boot. So yeah, having the sign on the door doesn't mean much. You have to try them out.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'm a real jokester. Back when I had big wavy brillo hair, I would plop myself into the chair and tell the stylus to zip it all off. Now when I say that they say, "what's there to zip off?"

I keep my hair at 1/8 inch length almost year round. For me, it's real simple to just buzz it all down by myself using my other hand to feel as I go along with the clipper. The detailing the neckline at the back is the hard part for me. I have to use my small mirror and use it to look into the main mirror to see the back of my head...messes with my hand eye coordination.

For the last two days I've tried to get into Supercuts for a haircut. Argh!!!!:mad3: I know, it's a quick bad haircut but I'm not as picky with a haircut like I am with my shaving soaps or razors. The first day had two guys in front of me with a third in the chair. No problem...I waited and waited and waited. 20 minutes later she was still working on the original guy in the chair. And she was the only hairstylist in the store. I left to return this morning with the same deal. Difference being there was two hairstylist, only three guys in the shop but was told an hour wait. An hour wait????? These guys getting cuts aren't women!! Zip those guys up and git r done. 10 minutes tops.

Not going there again even if I have a coupon.

Women cut hair slow buddy, go to a barbershop.

You care about your shaves...But not about how your hair looks? They go hand in hand. Next you'll say "I don't care about how my hair looks, but my Armani black label suit has to be perfect"...They all go together my friend, like the ocean and the sand. Moon and the Earth. With out one, the other fails.

Top Bottom