What's new

"Grip Rags?"

So there I am surfing and I come across a video posted by Jerrod from The Superior Shave (TSS). I see he’s using a little rag in his non shaving hand and think little of it other than wow he really has an aversion to getting his hands wet lol. Then it hits me!

What a great idea! We always talk about stretching the skin and though I rub my hands over my alum block to aid in grip, I still have a hard time gripping with all the cream, moisture etc all over the place.

Is this something others do and I just missed it? Using a little dry rag to be able to pull on your skin seems like a great idea. I know I don’t stretch nearly as much as I should due to fear of my hand slipping “into my razor” lol.

I think I am going to stitch up some old rags in about 3” square size and give it a go – anyone else do this and have any ideas as to what material’s best, or what size to cut them?

Thanks in advance.

I do not dress in rags. I'm just not into high fashion. Ohh, Grip rag not Grips' rags. Nevermind. :)

You guys are too much lol!

The blood "sopping" is a positive externality of a poorly executed shave lol!

I think I saw the same video and I was wondering about it too. I don't know though, it seems like, unless you had a very large rag, it would get wet pretty quick and not be very effective. It might be worth a try though. If you do, let me know how much it helps.

nrv216

Stretching has been one of my greatest challenges, but this doesn't seem to be a good solution (I agree it would get wet pretty quickly).

If the kids let me, I'll make some today.

Why do you guys think they are going to getting dripping wet though? I don't have that much moisture on my face...

But depending upon the type of material the rag is made out of it may generate more friction then your fingers even if it is wet.

Well if you're just using it to hold your skin to stretch it, not wiping it, I think you would be fine.

This is just a hypothesis, I do not personally use one.

Last edited:
But depending upon the type of material the rag is made out of it may generate more friction then your fingers even if it is wet.
Well by my thinking, wouldn't that be what you want? Or is that what you are saying?

But wouldn't that more fricticious (!?) rag chafe the skin?
Friction is fine if you are using it to hold your skin in place isn't it? We aren't using it to sand our faces - just to get hold.

If the kids let me, I'll make some today.

Why do you guys think they are going to getting dripping wet though? I don't have that much moisture on my face...

I'm having some lather issues that might mitigate this but, for now, I would soak through a small rag.

Having seen Jarrod's video, I went to the Dollar Store and bought a package of wash cloths and cut them up. What I found was that the threads started falling out on the edges, which annoyed me. Now I shave with two bar towels--one to clean the blade as I shave and the other for all-around drying purposes, which is draped across my left shoulder when not in use. When my fingers are too slippery to pull my skin taut, I use the latter towel as an aid in pulling; but mostly, I use the towel to dry my fingers.

Last edited:
Having seen Jarrod's video, I went to the Dollar Store and bought a package of wash cloths and cut them up. What I found was that the threads started falling out on the edges, which annoyed me. Now I shave with two bar towels--one to clean the blade as I shave and the other for all-around drying purposes which is draped across my left shoulder when not in use. When my fingers are too slippery to pull my skin taut, I use the latter towel as an aid in pulling.
The fraying of the threads would bother me too. If it works, I'll have the wife pull out the old sewing machine and have her do it properly. What size did you cut them into?

Going to see if the kids fall asleep now for thier afternoon snooze. If they do I'll hone my blade with a coti full of oil lol http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/286101-Cotcule-with-oil , and then cut up a facecloth and see how that all works out and report back lol.

Wish me luck lol.

The fraying of the threads would bother me too. If it works, I'll have the wife pull out the old sewing machine and have her do it properly. What size did you cut them into?

Going to see if the kids fall asleep now for thier afternoon snooze. If they do I'll hone my blade with a coti full of oil lol http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/286101-Cotcule-with-oil , and then cut up a facecloth and see how that all works out and report back lol.

Wish me luck lol.

I pretty much followed Jarrod's example here, 3x4 inches, or something like that. Hadn't thought about sewing the edges though, which certainly seems like it would work (although I'm perfectly happy with the bar towels now). Off-topic: I am inclined to follow the traditional advice that says that a coticule should never be used with oil. Try an Ark with water, and then try it with oil to see what the difference is IMHO...

Top Bottom