What's new

Grip 6 Socks

Has anyone had experience with Grip 6 Socks?

They seem to be unique in that although the foot area is mostly a very fine wool, different zones of the sock use materials that enhance those positions. For example the toe space and heal space help keep the sock in place and the ankle area includes spandex to keep it from falling down. At about $24.00 a pair they are on the expensive side but they really sound intriguing. Any comments would be helpful.

No experience, but interested in the responses. I have a couple of their belts, and have been fairly happy with them thus far.

I’ve got a couple pair of various density areas. One pair of Ice Breakers (wool) that have extra thickness essentially around a footprint area, the toe box and seem, and thinner with some elastic in the arch area to hold it in place. Several Smartwool ankle length socks that also do it. Some of their hikers essentially the same. I’ve got a pair of lightweight hot weather running ankle length socks that are the most extreme version that have mid weight hiker thickness and airy, silk weight areas otherwise.they breath really well. pic below

None of them cost $24 though, and I used to get discounts on all of them, so who knows these days.

40% wool isn’t enough for me, I prefer 70%, and for anything beyond dress, I wear varying weights of wool socks. 70% aren’t as durable as lesser wool content, but I want the wool content to take care of my feet. I can live with that trade off.

Most hiking crew socks these days seem to be constructed similarly. Also look at Darn Tough socks who run similar mixes with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked replacement.

IMG_7230.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve got a couple pair of various density areas. One pair of Ice Breakers (wool) that have extra thickness essentially around a footprint area, the toe box and seem, and thinner with some elastic in the arch area to hold it in place. Several Smartwool ankle length socks that also do it. Some of their hikers essentially the same. I’ve got a pair of lightweight hot weather running ankle length socks that are the most extreme version that have mid weight hiker thickness and airy, silk weight areas otherwise.they breath really well. pic below

None of them cost $24 though, and I used to get discounts on all of them, so who knows these days.

40% wool isn’t enough for me, I prefer 70%, and for anything beyond dress, I wear varying weights of wool socks. 70% aren’t as durable as lesser wool content, but I want the wool content to take care of my feet. I can live with that trade off.

Most hiking crew socks these days seem to be constructed similarly. Also look at Darn Tough socks who run similar mixes with a lifetime warranty, no questions asked replacement.

View attachment 1786418

I have some athletic socks just like the ones pictured and enjoy them.

Searching out more information of this topic I found that Grip 6 and Darn Tough appear to be from the same vendor. There are also some golf socks that keep popping up that appear to be from the same vendor. I'm thinking there are probably more.

What started me off on this is that I was given a pair of DragonWear socks which also appear to be made by the same vendor. DragonWear is a trademark for True North Gear who provides fire resistant clothing to fire departments. They seem to specialize in wilderness firefighting clothing. Believe it or not, socks do not need to be fire resistant, as they are covered by fire resistant boots and pants. They came were introduced to these mostly wool socks with different materials in different zones and were intrigued enough to sample them and then to add them to their offerings. They are mostly black and have DragonWear knitted into the sides in red.

I have one concern and I am still test wearing them every few days to see if it is really a problem or not. The upper part of the sock is a compression sock and I have not yet determined if they are too tight. Otherwise I really like them, and I'm trying to find alternatives.

I’m going to be a bit pedantic here. Regardless of where you wear it, anything synthetic will melt and contract in the process if it gets hot enough, or has open flame on it. Heavy leather boots outside of them or synthetics in a mixed blend with even distribution are going to be hard to get going and you’ll have worse problems to worry about at that point, like your lungs being seared or smoke inhalation. The heavily synthetic compression parts, above the boot? They will melt in a fire most likely and cause serous issues. I can’t find the term, but a fully encircled 2/3rd degree burn on an extremely is like a tourniquet, and has to be cut off/debrided out with a plastic band of melted synthetics over swelling tissue.

If you’re going to be standing around in open flames vs cinders. Otherwise, it’s probably a non issue most every day.

As a pilot back when, I was mandated to wear only cotton, wool, or nomex as a fire prevention measure. Silk wasn’t even authorized, I assume based on fabric weight. And that was mainly about a flash fire and getting away from a pooled fire.

There’s nothing wrong inherently with a synthetic sock from a performance perspective in and of themselves. My feet sweat heavily enough when I’m working out/active that high wool content wicks and breathes better for me than pure synths in my experience. Especially if I’m in them all day, day after day. I use synths for workouts but will swap them out when I’m done, and usually showering after anyway. So multi-day hiking/camping? I want high content wool. Casual all day wear? Wool.

That’s me and what I was meaning.

Keep in mind that these are mostly wool, in fact all wool in most of the foot area. They are made from very fine Morino wool and are not scratchy and are odor free. Spandex is mixed with the wool in the calf area so the socks don't fall down and also provide a bit of compression.

I'm not aware of any nomex socks. Nomax or materials very close to it are used in True North Gears offerings including underwear and coats so they are very familiar with it. Their t-shirts wear and feel very much like cotton.

Anyway, I'm still intrigued with the socks I was given and I'm trying to learn more about them and others like them. I'm not a fire fighter so I'm not worried about their fire resistance, just their comfort.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My wool socks are from Smartwool, Darn Tough and Merrill. None of them fall down and I haven't noticed any strange movements inside the shoes, although I'm not as active as I was in my younger years. Darn Tough have a lifetime guarantee - no receipt needed, just send them the socks and get a replacement pair.

My wool socks are from Smartwool, Darn Tough and Merrill. None of them fall down and I haven't noticed any strange movements inside the shoes, although I'm not as active as I was in my younger years. Darn Tough have a lifetime guarantee - no receipt needed, just send them the socks and get a replacement pair.
I've started to look into DT for socks for that reason. I trail run and can easily wear out cheap socks, rub spots in shoes, not rips or holes above shoe.

Do you know if retailers will do over the counter warranty for them or do they need to be mailed back? MEC sells them here, which is like our version of REI in the USA.

@ $25 Canadian for lower cut and up to $50 for longer socks (winter running), they aren't cheap. But if they last and are comfortable, I don't mind spending some cash on them.

I'm normally a 6 pack for $12.99 guy, with the excpetion of some cycling socks, which I now use running.

I've started to look into DT for socks for that reason. I trail run and can easily wear out cheap socks, rub spots in shoes, not rips or holes above shoe.

Do you know if retailers will do over the counter warranty for them or do they need to be mailed back? MEC sells them here, which is like our version of REI in the USA.

@ $25 Canadian for lower cut and up to $50 for longer socks (winter running), they aren't cheap. But if they last and are comfortable, I don't mind spending some cash on them.

I'm normally a 6 pack for $12.99 guy, with the excpetion of some cycling socks, which I now use running.
If you’re ok with 40-ish percent wool content, they’re great.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Switched a few years back to Bombas and really like them a lot. If you ever have a hole or something else goes wrong, they replace them, no questions asked. They also donate a pair to the homeless for each pair sold.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

Sorry, I have no experience - haven't worn a pair out yet. I'm sure they'd tell you over the phone.

If anyone wants to try out top-quality Italian socks for a significant discount, this is the place to go today. Use code MOVING for 65% discount. I just loaded up on my favorites, Marcoliani.

Yes. The website is clunky and yes, the lingerie modeling is a bit leery.

Top Bottom