What's new

Grandfathers Gillette

Looking at the Wiki I figure it is a Gillette old type, single ring, thin cap. That Wiki has a ton of info in it, even serial numbers by year. That's how I figured out it was made around 1921 which is also about the time my Grandfather would have started shaving on a regular basis.

Thanks Jeffer, I'll research them and keep an eye out for a good one.

That's so awesome to have such a special razor like that, congrats!

Hey! You didn't invite me!!! :001_huh:

Hi,

You ARE invited. To quote some TV show host, more or less. ;)

All are invited who have any shaving item of any kind which has passed down. Even it is just an old moldy brush. :)

I try to insert the link in posts where heirloom items are mentioned. I do not always see every one, though. I just thought one day we ought to have a thread where we can all post what we are lucky enough to have, in addition to these stand-alone posts which are all too quickly buried.

Stan

Ok after one week I am really liking this razor. Coming from a Gillette Fusion and the long handled Merkur I would not call this mild and forgiving, but I don't have a lot to compare it to. As someone else mentioned millions of men learned to shave with this, so clearly it doesn't take a Phd. The main thing was just getting the angle right and not pressing it against my face at all.

It works extremely well and is very satisfying to use.

Hi,

You ARE invited. To quote some TV show host, more or less. ;)

All are invited who have any shaving item of any kind which has passed down. Even it is just an old moldy brush. :)

I try to insert the link in posts where heirloom items are mentioned. I do not always see every one, though. I just thought one day we ought to have a thread where we can all post what we are lucky enough to have, in addition to these stand-alone posts which are all too quickly buried.

Stan

Thanks. I will join you after about 40 more posts.

I love me OLD's. I've got three plus two clones; a Big Ben and a Ben Hur. They're all serious razors.
Dunno why but my NEW just doesn't quite feel the same. We're not bonding man.

Nice OLD BTW. :thumbup1:

Its great that your sister passed on the old family classic to you! Enjoy it, use it and love it!! It was coming across my dad's old Fat Boy that rekindled my interest in double-edged razors, so I kind of share that type of nostalgia with you. I think you will learn to tame the beast with practice and by evolving your technique. Hoping that you get lots of smooth shaves with your Single Ring!!

View attachment 573280

Just got this from my sister who found it in a box of stuff. I believe this is my Grandfathers first and perhaps only razor. By serial number it's 1921 vintage. Tried it and man, it requires a light touch to avoid filleting my face.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Wish I had kept the one I got from my dad when I started shaving.

Top Bottom