What's new

Got Scotch?

timmy, you have great prices in your area. most bottles are quite a bit more here.

my vote for best value- laphroaig 10 c/s. smooth-- no, not really. big peety, dirty and complex. tasty stuff.

lagavulin 16 (the white horse bottlings were better) is a very nice islay, peety but very smooth.

cheers,
ryan

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have recently become interested in single malt scotches, and am interested in finding good quality, decently priced ($40-$50) brands. My experience is limited to Macallan 12 year and Glenfiddich 12 year. The Glenfiddich is quite drinkable and very reasonable at about $25 for 750ml, but nowhwere near the quality of Macallan 12 year at about $40. Any suggestions of good, smooth scotches in the aforementioned price range would be appreciated.

Certainly try Glenlivet 12 and Cragganmore 12. :thumbup:

Some of the other choices mentioned (Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, &c) from the western islands of Skye and Islay are, shall we say, distinctly flavourful, in a way quite different from Macalland or Glenfiddich. Before you spring for a whole bottle, I'd suggest going to a nice bar and ordering a shot of one or two, and savouring them there, and seeing if you actually LIKE that style of scotch.

BTW, I'm a big fan of those, I just know that they're a bit 'different' from the 'standard' you're starting from.

I'd wouldn't like to recommend Laphroaig, it's kind of unique and people tend to love it or hate it.

+1

If you love those smoked cheddar Lance crackers as opposed to the PB& cheese crackers, you'll probably enjoy Laphroaig. If you like the PB & cheese better, you'll probably to better with Macallan (try the 18 YO if you can find a sample) or Talisker.

What I mean is, they call Laphroaig "liquid smoke" for a reason.

I have a bottle of Cragganmore 12 in my cabinet right now, and it's a fine Scotch (probably the best you'll find in a Pennsylvania state liquor store).

I wanted to thank everybody again for all the helpful input and inform you that I have begun my journey through whisky-land with Balvenie 12 year. Excellent recommendation! It is frighteningly smooth (must...exercise...lots...of...self...control :drool:) and less "peaty" than the Macallan. It is also very reasonably priced at $35 at Beverages and More. This is probably more dangerous to my wallet than my tequila phases, since there are only a handful of truly good quality tequilas worth splurging on. But if the other whisky recommendations are half as good as the Balvenie, I might have to do an early withdrawl from my 401k :tongue_sm

Ahhh, single malt whisky - the well-deserved staple of the Speakeasy!

Regular readers will know of my love for quarter-cask Laphroaig - dense, dark, deliciously peaty.

Talisker and Oban will always set you straight for good whisky. Excellent.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Thank God someone else finally said Oban, I can't believe no one else has commented on their fantastic scotch making...

I have looked at Oban in the store, but never actually had any. When I was deciding on a single malt purchase some months ago, I mentioned it and I seemed to get much more negative comments than positive. Which is why I never tried it. :wink:

Tim

My currently depleted collection :frown: consists of:

Aberlour 100 proof
Aberlour 15
Ardbeg 10
Balvenie 12 DoubleWood
Ben Nevis 10
Bowmore 12
Bowmore Legend
Cragganmore 12
Glemnorangie Burgundy Wood Finish
Glenfarclas 10
Glenfarclas 30
Glenfiddich 12
Glenlivet 12
Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve
Highland Park 12
Laphroaig 10
Longmorn 15
Macallan 10
Macallan 10 Cask Strength
Macallan 10 Fine Oak
Macallan 12
Macallan 7 (Italy only)
Scapa 14
Talisker 10

It's interesting that Glenfiddich is $25 over there and $40 over here :confused: and that you find The Macallan "peaty" :shocked:

Good smooth malts in your range should include:

Bunnahabhain 12
Cardhu 12
Cragganmore 12
Glenfarclas 10
Glen Grant
Glenmorangie 10
Glen Moray
Highland Park 12
Glenlivet 12
Isle of Jura 10
Tobermory 10

It's interesting that Glenfiddich is $25 over there and $40 over here :confused: and that you find The Macallan "peaty" :shocked:

Indeed the Glenfiddich 12 year is only $25.99 in my part of the U.S. (if I'm lyin', I'm dyin' -- here's your proof: http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.as...glenfiddich&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All). And what I actually said was, the Balvenie was less "peaty" than the Macallan. I meant that as neither negative nor positive, just descriptive. I like the flavor structure of each one pretty much equally.

P.S. That is a very impressive list of whiskies you have there! :ouch1:

Top Bottom