What's new

Good non alcoholic beer?

There is an 8 year old thread on the topic of non alcoholic beer and I was hoping for some improvement during that time but I’m not so sure.

I like Heineken but their non alcoholic beer literally made me sick.

I like Guinness but their non alcoholic brew has a slight urine odor to me.

In both cases the beers were fresh so it’s not like they were skunky from being out of date.

My question is this: Are there any commonly available non alcoholic beers that are, if not good, at least drinkable?

As far as I am concerned, the title of this thread is an oxymoron.

I wish that wasn't true, but it is.

What is worse, is that in Europe many long established brewers are reducing the alchohol content of their product to appeal to the mass market who are concerned about health, but apparently have no taste-buds. As far as I am concerned, any German or Czech Pils bottled at less than 4.8% ABV simply isn't worth drinking - the lack of alcohol significantly changes both the mouth-feel and the flavour.

Grolsch, I am looking at you!!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
As far as I am concerned, the title of this thread is an oxymoron.

I wish that wasn't true, but it is.

What is worse, is that in Europe many long established brewers are reducing the alchohol content of their product to appeal to the mass market who are concerned about health, but apparently have no taste-buds. As far as I am concerned, any German or Czech Pils bottled at less than 4.8% ABV simply isn't worth drinking - the lack of alcohol significantly changes both the mouth-feel and the flavour.

Grolsch, I am looking at you!!

I understand and appreciate where you're coming from @Goblin but do try and understand that often there is a time and a place for a NA beer. For me there have been times where it scratched an itch that might have gone awry otherwise.

I understand and appreciate where you're coming from @Goblin but do try and understand that often there is a time and a place for a NA beer. For me there have been times where it scratched an itch that might have gone awry otherwise.

Absolutely. I understand and apologise if I was out of line or caused offence.

For what it's worth, I find Becks NA (if you can get it in your neck of the woods) to be the best I have had. A friend of mine only serves NA when he has a gathering and there is universal agreement that this is the most flavoursome.

Thank you all for your replies! I will try a few more NA beers, St Pauli Girl and Labatt Blue and maybe one or two others, but if I don’t find anything I can stand I’ll be done with NA beers. I’ll just drink less of the good stuff - but it will be good stuff!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not sure if you can get it where you are, but Sober Carpenter beers are great. I particularly like their Organic Session IPA.

For context I'm a beer drinker. Beer. With alcohol, sometimes with a fair amount of alcohol. :) I've also been brewing since the '80s and feel like I have some sense of what I like in a wobbly pop. I've had a few awful near-beers so unless I know what I'm being offered when they're on the menu I'll smile and ask for a sparkling water.

I do like my one bomber in the afternoon. These days that's pretty much it. The Sober Carpenter stuff is what I'll crack open on those rare occasions when "I kinda want another beer" floats through my mind.

O.H.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Do NA beers suffer in the taste department?

I don't know. What is apparent is some NA beers taste better than others.

1693103598190.png

This is probably my favorite.

It has a superior taste, crisp and fresh.​

1693103779101.png
1693103849294.png

Both Beck's and St. Pauli are very good.

I like to taste flavors as opposed to imagining them.

Bland doesn't usually appeal to me. All the beers above have, for non-alcoholic beers, a good bit of flavor. Plus, I like how they taste enough to drink them.

I've tried plenty of NA beers. Some aren't good. Some are terrible.

This is a light beer in terms of taste. It does not have a lot of flavor, but the flavor it has is clean, crisp, and refreshing.​
1693104096155.png

There are others you might like of course.

Happy shaves,

Jim

In Minnesota Bauhaus Brew Labs made some wonderful NAs, called Nah (cool story behind that). Sadly our move to Missouri has left me out of range for frequent purchse. They do ship. Highly recommend if the opportunity arises for you.

WellBeing (Amber and/or Victory Wheat), scratches that itch pretty well (for me), and I find they're available in pubs and sports bars in our area.

I agree with @Andris83 that Brooklyn's Special Effects is something different and absolutely worth trying if you can find it. They sometimes do it in seasonal varieties as well.

Lagunita's has a couple (see the IPNA). As a brewery Lagunita's is not my favorite, sharp is the best word I can think of... or dank (different life). I am not a bitter/over-hopped IPA lover and I feel they lean into it. I have friends who quite enjoy them.

Busch NA and Bud Zero (see, I moved to Missouri) are both drinkable (for me) and if I go every other when it's 100° outside I can enjoy the barbeque without the headache.

Long post. Love beer.

/rantover

-Poet

Top Bottom