What's new

Good first straight razor?

Can someone actually link me to another cheap but good razor? Maybe something less than $100. That $50 wapi one looked greated but is not longer available. Also if you could link me to whatever strop/chromium oxide paste and balsa wood. Sorry but I'm a newb to this lol

A swirl on your Adam's apple? That's really unfortunate...I don't even have to shave mine. But to the point--I think the Wapi sounds like what you're looking for.

Can someone actually link me to another cheap but good razor? Maybe something less than $100. That $50 wapi one looked greated but is not longer available. Also if you could link me to whatever strop/chromium oxide paste and balsa wood. Sorry but I'm a newb to this lol

Certainly. I'll throw out a recommendation for KenRup's Filly strop. At 20 bucks, if you nick it when learning it won't be a huge deal. It's also a pretty nice strop and if it survives you could keep it for travel.

Filly

Chromium Oxide can be had in huge quantities if you want it, but ChrisL over at SRP is selling it in 4 dollar packets, he's also on this forum so you could just PM him.

Balsa wood is available at hobby stores and the Home Depot.

If you found this helpful, thank mparker762 as he's the one that told me all of this when I just got my straight. Before that I was also lost in the sea of hones and other such devices, not sure what I needed. :lol:

Won't it be already used?

yep. But thats no big deal, you can clean metal really easily. Plus its not conducive to nasties growing at all. And its also MUCH cheaper! Ive never bought a new razor, and cant see myself ever doing so.

Also where is the BST forum? I know it's buy sell trade but I can't find it

here

Can I toss one more question in: how many times can I shave before I have to rehone it?

You can get a few months out of daily use without a rehone. With pastes you can add a couple of months on top of that. (assuming you dont damage your edge stropping or something, which can happen when youre starting out)

Also make sure it comes properly shave-ready from someone reputable.

So my dad bought me a straight razor for my birthday along with a strop. I don't have balsa wood or anything but my dad says you don't need it: just the strop. It didn't come presharpened, so I am just wondering how many times I have to go back and forth to make sure it is sharp. And do I need the balsa wood?

So my dad bought me a straight razor for my birthday along with a strop. I don't have balsa wood or anything but my dad says you don't need it: just the strop. It didn't come presharpened, so I am just wondering how many times I have to go back and forth to make sure it is sharp. And do I need the balsa wood?

in my estimate try starting to strop at something like 25 or so laps on the cotton/linen if equipped and then 50 on the leather before every shave, however stropping does not sharpen the edge it only re-aligns it and removes rust from the edge itself. You can get buy with just a strop for a few months but only if the razor is sharp you should send it out to a honemeister and get sharpened. There is a list at top of honing forum.

One last quick thing someone mentioned sending my razor out to someone on the forum to get it sharpened. Who sharpens razor here/where do I advertise for it?

One last quick thing someone mentioned sending my razor out to someone on the forum to get it sharpened. Who sharpens razor here/where do I advertise for it?

The list is here. Just don't go asking for recommendations from me. I haven't started using straights yet, but I have one on the way. It'll probably be awhile before I get it honed though as I have a bit of restoration work ahead of me. :biggrin:

Top Bottom